my first 5k in 19 days

Options
So I completed week 2 day 1 yesterday of the c25k program :) I also have gotten talked into doing a 5k, thanks slpygrl and mdbs2004, in 19 days. SO knowing it is in less time than the normal C25K program I am considering running every other day and skipping the 2nd day of each week to get farther along. I am very open to continuing on a specfic week/day if I don't feel I can move up but I would really like to push it for this up coming run. I want to do this correctly but I also want to beable to run/walk more than the 2 miles I seem to be getting in right now. Has anyone tried accelerating the program? Any thoughts, suggestions? TIA

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The way I did it was to set out each time to cover 3 miles, I ran as far as I could and then started run walk intervals to finish the 3 miles. Each time I tried to run a little further and take shorter walk breaks. Doing that it took around three weeks to get to running 3 miles (I had been a runner before but had not run for around three years).

Your plan should work. However, accelerating the C25K will increase your chance of injury. How much it is increased depends on your leg strength and bone density. If something starts feeling wrong then back off and walk more until you can do it without pain. Better to keep improving slowly than not improve at all while you are out with an injury.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Better to keep improving slowly than not improve at all while you are out with an injury.

You may find yourself walking more than running and that's perfectly ok, the objective is to finish with a smile on your face, nothing else.

Plan for steady improvement and you may well surprise yourself by running a full 5K later this year. Don't rush yourself, there's always another race.
  • lmd172
    lmd172 Posts: 172
    Options
    i ran my first 5k april 14 and my second one may 5...i did not do the c25k but just ran...i had a blast and am addicted to running...both of the guys here gave solid advice - i secretly love them both just because they are awesome - just take your time and have fun! you'll do great!
  • nmjellison
    nmjellison Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just listen to your body. Run when you can, walk when you need to. Don't push yourself past the point of exhaustion - take walk breaks as often as you need. Don't push too hard to get training in before hand either - you don't want to strain anything before the big day!!
    Try and run across the finish line though - that is the best feeling ever! And adrenaline will kick in when you can see the crowd at the end and see the finish line - you will want to run anyway! Best of luck!
  • lhdickie91
    lhdickie91 Posts: 10
    Options
    I would follow the advice above - set out a distance of 5k to attempt each day (or however often you can exercise) and try and run farther and walk less each day, you'll be surprised at how quickly you can improve!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    For your first 5k, just finishing it is an accomplishment! I ran my first two last year and for the first one, wished someone had told me to carry water! I didn't see anyone else with water but thought I'd die b/c I was so thirsty along the way. I'd recommend a small
    bottle with a sport cap lid.:wink:
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You will be surprised. You will run faster and farther than you think. When there are a thousand people around you, they keep you moving. The adrenalin in your body will do wonders for you. The first half a mile or so is the hardest, it takes that long for your body to warm up. You'll want to slow down or walk. DON'T!!! Just keep doing it, mind over matter. No pain, no gain! Push yourself to get results!

When I do races, I keep telling myself, as long as I am passing someone, I'm doing better than them. When you get to that final stretch, pour on the steam and pass as many people as you can! Sprint to the finish line.

Don't under estimate what you can do! 3 miles isn't that far.

Good luck!

- Mike
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You'll want to slow down or walk. DON'T!!! Just keep doing it, mind over matter. No pain, no gain! Push yourself to get results!

With all due respect no pain no gain is probably the worst advice I've ever seen anyone give a novice runner.

Based on your passing other runners comment I can only surmise that you're a highly competitive runner and your philosophy may work for you but runs completely contrary to my personal experience and the wisdom of some highly experienced coaches I've had the privilege of training with.