NOT CRANBERRY SAUCE!!!

Options
SAY IT ISN'T SO!! :sad: :sad: I was skimming through the new Costco magazine at work and there's an article about surviving the holidays. It says one of the five things to avoid if you're trying to lose belly fat is cranberry sauce. :sad: I love cranberry sauce! :sad: I only eat it during Thanksgiving and Christmas. Neither of my kids like it so I get it all for myself. I guess not this year. :sad:

Replies

• argburr
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that's just for the canned jello stuff. If you use fresh cranberries and keep it pretty tart it's just like eating fresh/stewed cranberries
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Mix your fresh cranberries with sweet apples, or make cranberry orange relish, and use stevia. I love cranberries and eat them year round. My family calls me the the Bubba Gump of Cranberries :happy: Alice
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    But I love my canned cranberry sauce. It doesn't seem right unless its sitting in a bowl still shaped like the can! ;-)
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    But I love my canned cranberry sauce. It doesn't seem right unless its sitting in a bowl still shaped like the can! ;-)

I know, that's the way I like it too. :laugh:
  • katie517
    Options

Ditto! Everything in moderation I guess! No way I can completely pass it up.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    well twice a year won't kill you. :laugh:
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I think it is just very high in sugar - so as long as you moderate the amount and lessen other sugars should be ok. I changed to a cranberry relish a few years ago - it is wonderful.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    for fruit cranberries are actually pretty good for sugar, 4 grams per serving, which is pretty good for fruit.

now, cranberry sauce is another story, because of the processing, it ends up with 21g of sugar for a 1/4 cup serving of regular cranberry sauce for most of the major brands.

You can go with a natural cranberry sauce (either from home made, or they have natural (unsweetened) sauces out there), but be forewarned, there very tart! Most natural ones have between 5 and 10 grams of sugar in them per serving.
  • schlieffen
    Options
    I make homemade cranberry sauce using 1 cup of fresh cranberries, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup of water. Let the sugar and water boil for about 5 mins, then add the cranberries and let boil for about another 5. Stir and enjoy fresh, warm cranberry sauce. Per tbsp it's only 25 cals and 5g of sugar, and super yummy!! :heart:
  • kokonutmama
    Options
    Here's my opinion, you can take it or leave it:
    eat the cranberry sauce on the days you look forward to it. I never believe anything that says that a certain food should be avoided entirely. hogwash. just don't eat the whole can! I love the slippery, can-shapped, sugary badness, too, especially with salty, creamy, mashed potatoes on it. Mmm, mmm. One small serving of that is worth so much more to me than a whole plateful of lumpy, low sugar homemade sauce and baked potatoes. (sorry if I just made anyone besides myself hungry :ohwell: )
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Here's my opinion, you can take it or leave it:
    eat the cranberry sauce on the days you look forward to it. I never believe anything that says that a certain food should be avoided entirely. hogwash. just don't eat the whole can! I love the slippery, can-shapped, sugary badness, too, especially with salty, creamy, mashed potatoes on it. Mmm, mmm. One small serving of that is worth so much more to me than a whole plateful of lumpy, low sugar homemade sauce and baked potatoes. (sorry if I just made anyone besides myself hungry :ohwell: )

:laugh: :laugh: I think I will have some for Thanksgiving only. That'll be my splurge and it is only once a year if I don't eat it for Christmas. :bigsmile: I can do extra running to make up for it.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Canned, sweetened cranberry sauce has 105 grams of sugar in 1 cup? Holy moly- that's 3 days worth of sugar. Yah, better to avoid that. lol If you limit yourself to a few spoonfuls of it, you would be ok.
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    It does make a nice condiment in a thanksgiving wrap. They do it at the office once in a while, basically wrap up some turkey stuffing gravy and a little cranberry sauce in a wrap delicious, but probably not calorie conscious
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    Fresh cranberries, orange, clove, a bit of honey, and water - boil, lower heat, and reduce to a thick sauce.

It's amazing.