Menopause Dieters Only!

Options
:laugh: Hi! My name is Jill. I figure with a subject title like that, I'll avoid responses from men and 20-something women who don't have a clue what it's like to try to lose weight when your metabolism has suddenly gone to sleep. I was SKINNY in my 20's! However, the rules have completely changed some two decades later. Eat a normal healthy diet, lead a normal active life, and YOU WILL GAIN WEIGHT once you hit your late 40's!!!! Anybody out there know what I'm talking about? I've got my 10 year wedding anniversary coming up in 3 months, and I really, really, want to weight what I weighed when I got married. And I'd like my clothes to fit again too. I'm up to the challenge, and would love a buddy to keep me motivated. Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Hi Jill, I'm 49 (I'll be 50 in Dec) and still peri. Right now I'm working on maintaining were I'm at. I had gained 10 pounds a few years ago and would gain and lose the same pounds over and over. Then at 48 I decided that was enough of looking pregnant becausethe stomach is where I carry any extra weight. I started running and strength training. I think I've been on here since last fall and it's really helped to keep me on course.

Minneapolis is a great city, my DH use to drill at Fort Snelling so I'd go with sometimes.

My advice is don't set yourself up for failure by setting your goals to high. You don't have much to lose so it is going to take awhile. Keep to only trying to lose a 1/2 lb/week. Anything more than that and you'll probably end up disappointed. For me making it a lifestyle change is what has helped me to be able to keep the weight off this time.

You're right about it being different now. I was always skinny before and ate whatever I wanted. But I do think I'm healthier now that I'm eating better and exercising. I wouldn't trade my skinnyness of before for the more toned body I have now, even though I still have some excess body fat. Eating healthier and exercise is now a way of life. Not just something until I get to a goal weight.

When is your anniversary? We will be celebrating our 16th on Dec 23.

Hope you find lots of support here on MFP, it really is a great site:flowerforyou:
  • LibbyJean
    LibbyJean Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'm completely through the whole menopause thing but I haven't had a period in a few years and am 55. I gained about 10-12 pounds over the past few years no matter how much I exercised and diet. I recently made a more dramatic lifestyle change and the weight is finally coming off. I had to really up my exercise even though I felt I was doing alot, I guess I wasn't doing enough. Now, instead of 4 days a week I am exercising 5 or 6 and doing more cardio (walking, running, elliptical, tennis) and also added weights 2 days a week. My diet has gotten much better and I am eating more greek yogurt, steel cut oats, lean meats and lots of vegetables. It doesn't seem like work anymore as I love the exercise and the clean food I am fueling my body with. Enjoy the journey! :bigsmile:
  • hulkj
    hulkj Posts: 218
    Options
    I'm perimenopausal for sure and almost to the finish line! I'm struggling! I've been doing this since the last week in March. I've had a few set backs, but I haven't gained, just stayed the same. A friend on here told me to put a wedding pic on the fridge. I did that and that has helped some! Good luck and message me anytime!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I, too, am peri - after about 13 months of NO periods, guess what happened? Talk about shocked! I'm a bit peeved about that, but yea, the weight just piled on over the last 5 years. I've managed to get it down, and like others, I wouldn't trade what I finally have now for the body I had 15 years ago!! :blushing:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I, too, am peri - after about 13 months of NO periods, guess what happened? Talk about shocked! I'm a bit peeved about that, but yea, the weight just piled on over the last 5 years. I've managed to get it down, and like others, I wouldn't trade what I finally have now for the body I had 15 years ago!! :blushing:

ok did you get your period or get preggers, cuz you've got me nervous here Russia:huh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I am 48 and had my last period the month before 9/11. Bang, it was gone and so was my ability to lose weight. I have struggled for a year and a half to get off this 33 pounds.

Changing my eating habits has helped, but dang it is s l o w........ I call it mentalpause, because I always used to forget things............a LOT

It turns out I was dehydrated. Now that I get enough water, my memory is back to 100%....Unless I dont wanna:laugh: :laugh:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options

That is not even fair. I'd be so mad:grumble: I get mad when I have mine and it's been a few months. Why oh why doesn't it just go away already:grumble: Yes, I'm spotting now after nothing for four months:grumble: Good Bye TOM! Go Away!
  • Louloutte
    Options
    Hi Keiko! Our anniversary is Jan. 1. We were foolish/brave/crazy enough to set our date for the infamous Y2K. You know, the day the world was supposed to end....but didn't! This is my second marriage. My first one ended after 17 years. But don't let that jinx you!:noway:

I suppose you're right about setting realistic goals. Eating only 1,200 calories a day for 90 days is not much fun. Bump that up to 1,500 and things might work out better. Speaking of working out, I could kick that up a notch too. Ah, but I love my couch and a good book...:heart:
  • Louloutte
    Options
    33 lbs! Good for you!!! I'll have to try the water thing. I do forget to drink....along with everything else...that I forget. What am I supposed to do again? Oh yeah, drink more water.

Here's a toast to you!

:drinker:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    LOL Jeannie --- my TOM -- plus I got the dreaded 5lbs of water weight to boot!! Of course, it is gone now..... thank heavens. If I was pregnant I'd buy myself a gun!!

Curiously, it started up again JUST after two major issues occurred - I went on anti-depressants and my 17 year old son announced his girlfriend of less than a year is 5 months along. So PG does have something to do with it. I was told that the advent of my new pharmeceutical therapy will RARELY cause a perimenopausal woman to begin her periods again.

I'm convinced mine is stress/emotion related. :angry: I don't expect it to last.

Jeannie!!! I just noticed our numbers are EXACT!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: