General MFP Question

Options
So I realized today that the more weight I lose the lower my BMR gets. It started at over 1600 and is now just over 1400. But, my daily intake isn't changing. Is that why my overall loss has changed. I'm not losing as much now as I was when I first started, and I'm wondering if that's because what my body requires is less, and there for the variance between that and what I am taking in is less. Does this really make a difference like I am thinking it does?

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided
    Go there and click "Update Profile" to make it recalculate.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Yes, the smaller you get, the lower your BMR and TDEE are. If you haven't changed your intake, this means your deficit is smaller. That's ok. You should have a smaller deficit when you have less to lose.

Go to the link to above recalculate your goals and determine your goal based on this chart:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/424963-how-many-lbs-a-week-should-i-try-to-lose
  • PoetikLuvr
    PoetikLuvr Posts: 12
    Options
    When I recalculate it doesn't change anything. But instead of being the 2lbs a week weight loss, it's at 1.3lbs (which is close to the chart on your below). Does this mean for long term weight loss I am still going to be successful since I'm not losing as much as fast?
  • Jorra
    Options
    When I recalculate it doesn't change anything. But instead of being the 2lbs a week weight loss, it's at 1.3lbs (which is close to the chart on your below). Does this mean for long term weight loss I am still going to be successful since I'm not losing as much as fast?

You will still be successful. It is not healthfully possible for you to lose 2lbs a week anymore, so your maximum is 1.3lbs. You want to lose weight more slowly as you get closer to your goal.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Ignore me...I'm only responding to this thread to tell Jorra how much I love that profile pic!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Jorra
    Options
    Ignore me...I'm only responding to this thread to tell Jorra how much I love that profile pic!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Chris Hemsworth is a beautiful man.
  • OnlyOne1Heart
    OnlyOne1Heart Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    PLEASE SEE ADDITIONAL POST BELOW...:happy:
  • jonibeeps
    jonibeeps Posts: 6
    Options
    you are looking great!! Don't worry about losing at a slower rate. You want to lose at a slow rate for the long term, anyway. In the beginning, the first couple of weeks, a lot of weight is water loss. and of course later, the less you have to lose the slower it comes off. Don't worry about your "diet". concentrate on the lifestyle change you are making. Eat this way for life, not just to lose the next 40.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    This only happens since the minimum caloric intake MFP will allow you to have is 1200. If you had your goal set at 0.5lbs/week, you would have seen your cals start at around 1950 (1200+750)and decrease every 10lbs you lost.
  • OnlyOne1Heart
    Options
    Harris Benedict Formula
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

•If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    •If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    •If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    •If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    •If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

:wink:
  • OnlyOne1Heart
    Options
    So I realized today that the more weight I lose the lower my BMR gets. It started at over 1600 and is now just over 1400. But, my daily intake isn't changing. Is that why my overall loss has changed. I'm not losing as much now as I was when I first started, and I'm wondering if that's because what my body requires is less, and there for the variance between that and what I am taking in is less. Does this really make a difference like I am thinking it does?

You use energy no matter what you're doing, even when sleeping. The BMR Calculator will calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR); the number of calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day.

If you've noticed that every year, it becomes harder to eat whatever you want and stay slim, you've also learnt that your BMR decreases as you age. Likewise, depriving yourself of food in hopes of losing weight also decreases your BMR, a foil to your intentions. However, a regular routine of cardiovascular exercise can increase your BMR, improving your health and fitness when your body's ability to burn energy gradually slows down.

Once you know your BMR, you can calculate your Daily Calorie Needs based on your activity level using the Harris Benedict Equation. The Harris Benedict Equation is a formula that uses your BMR and then applies an activity factor to determine your total daily energy expenditure (calories). The only factor omitted by the Harris Benedict Equation is lean body mass. Remember, leaner bodies need more calories than less leaner ones. Therefore, this equation will be very accurate in all but the very muscular (will under-estimate calorie needs) and the very fat (will over-estimate calorie needs). PLEASE SEE ADDITIONAL POST ABOVE...
  • PoetikLuvr
    Options
    Since I've become more active (on a regular basis I work out 4 days a week for at least 20 minutes of walking and 15 minutes of stationary bicycling), would it be a good idea to change my lifestyle to something other than sedentary?
  • PoetikLuvr
    Options
    Momma, how do you know all this? And why haven't you shared before?