Hard-boiled eggs

Options

Replies

• kitkatkmt
    kitkatkmt Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I boiled mine for 15 minutes, and then put them right into a bath of tap water - not too cold, but not warm. I then put them in the fridge (in the water), and let them sit in there until I was ready for them. I didn't have a single issue peeling any of them. Worked quite well.

I also saw on Pinterest an idea to bake them - put them in a muffin pan (one egg per slot), and bake at 325 for 25-30 minutes. Haven't tried it yet, but definitely plan to - likely easier that way. Apparently they taste better too? Anyone tried this way?
  • dauhl
    dauhl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I put the eggs in water with a little bit of vegetable or canola oil and when it gets to a rolling boil, turn the water off and set a timer for 12 minutes. When the timer goes off put them in cold water immediately and let them sit awhile. Then tap the egg on the counter till there's little cracks all over. start with the smaller end of the egg, it's easier to get under the membrane. I found that 12 minutes was the perfect time for perfect yoke color and by putting oil in the water the shells come off great! Hope this works for ya :happy:
  • lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Eggs that are a few days old typically work best. Put them in a pan, cover with water, bring to a boil, cover with lid, turn off burner, let sit for 15 minutes, and then rinse with cold water and ice. Put in fridge. When cooled you will have a perfectly boiled egg, no green in the center, and easily peelable!
  • MelKut
    MelKut Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Much easier way of hard-boiling eggs.....

Put a single layer of (a bit older) eggs in a pot of cold water filled an inch over the them. I also put some vinegar in the pot. Bring to a boil. Hard boil for ONE minute. Then remove from heat and cover. Let them sit for 20 minutes. Then put them in ice water and cool completely.

I found this out when researching exactly how long to boil them haha apparently boiling them so long makes them rubberier and gives the yolk that nice even green tinge.

Actually last time I did this (Sunday) I removed the eggs from heat and covered but then had to leave unexpectedly and only got to them in the evening and they were perfectly fine. I love this method because you don't have to have the eggs boil for 10-15 minutes and they come out perfect :smile:
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you rap the egg really hard on the larger end (where the air bubble is) it makes it easier to peel the eggs. It forces the air under that little membrane thingy. Also, shocking them in cold water after cooking.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    FAIL PROOF

Fresh or week old, this is the best method for easy peeling eggs every time, and perfect golden yolks with no trace of green.

Set the eggs out at room temperature for 2 hours prior to cooking. (cold eggs are more likely to crack when you put them in the water)
    Bring a big pot of water to a hard, rolling boil.
    Put all the eggs into the boiling water. (I do 18 of them at a time)
    Set a timer for 14 minutes.
    Prepare the ice bath: In a big mixing bowl, put a bunch of ice, and enough water to make the ice float
    When the timer goes off, turn off the burner, and immediately fish out the eggs and put them into the ice bath.
    Leave them in there until the ice melts, or about ten minutes.
    Put them back into their carton and into the refrigerator.

When you go to use them, I guarantee the shells will easily separate and slide off.
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Add baking soda to the water. I generally add maybe a teaspoon when I'm cooking eggs in my little saucepan. That helps. Put the eggs and water on the stove, and when the water boils cover it and turn off the heat and set the timer for 10 minutes. As soon as the timer goes off, drain the hot water, and play bumper cars in the pan with your eggs to crack the shells. Immediately cover them in cold water, and let them cool for a few minutes. That should make them easier to peel. There's always that one chunk, and sometimes I get an egg that is just completely idiotic and won't let go, but usually I don't have many problems when I do it this way.
    I've never done the baking soda thing but this is how i do the eggs too, pretty darn simple and normally pretty effective.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Much easier way of hard-boiling eggs.....

Put a single layer of (a bit older) eggs in a pot of cold water filled an inch over the them. I also put some vinegar in the pot. Bring to a boil. Hard boil for ONE minute. Then remove from heat and cover. Let them sit for 20 minutes. Then put them in ice water and cool completely.

I found this out when researching exactly how long to boil them haha apparently boiling them so long makes them rubberier and gives the yolk that nice even green tinge.

Actually last time I did this (Sunday) I removed the eggs from heat and covered but then had to leave unexpectedly and only got to them in the evening and they were perfectly fine. I love this method because you don't have to have the eggs boil for 10-15 minutes and they come out perfect :smile:
    Ha, when I was a kid I thought they were supposed to be green!

This is exactly how I do them, though, except I usually forget the vinegar.
  • mrs_kurz
    mrs_kurz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Kind of related, kind of unrelated question!! I'm going to try this tomorrow and take eggs for a snack, how do you transport them withot them smelling out your lunch bag? Do you leave them in their shells until you eat them?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs should always be older eggs. If you want to hard boil eggs, buy them a couple weeks ahead of time. Then you won't have any trouble peeling.

As for actually cooking them, I just use an electric kettle. Put them in the kettle, cover them with water. Turn it on, then when it switches off, wait 15 minutes. Then pour out the water, rinse the eggs with cold water to stop the cooking, peel, and eat.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Kind of related, kind of unrelated question!! I'm going to try this tomorrow and take eggs for a snack, how do you transport them withot them smelling out your lunch bag? Do you leave them in their shells until you eat them?

I leave them in the shell until I am ready to eat them. I wrap a paper towel around them so they are slightly cushioned in my lunch bag. That way even if they crack each other, the shell doesn't get all inside my lunch bag.
  • tobafa
    tobafa Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Bumped for later. Constantly destroying a few eggs.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    If you rap the egg really hard on the larger end (where the air bubble is) it makes it easier to peel the eggs. It forces the air under that little membrane thingy. Also, shocking them in cold water after cooking.

I read that as "if you rape the egg really hard"

don't think you are doing it right!!
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    As someone who works at a business that makes pickled eggs I can tell you that you need older eggs, that is the only trick. Fresh ones will never peel!

Usually around the 3 week mark they peel perfectly!
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone about the age of the eggs making a difference -- older eggs peel easier. If you want hard boiled eggs, buy them a couple of weeks ahead of time. Use the fresh ones for scrambling, frying, baking, etc.

I usually put my eggs in a pot, add water to cover an inch above the eggs, heat to a boil, simmer/lightly boil for 10 minutes, then immediately plunge them in cold water until they've cooled. Not only are they easy to peel after that, the yolks are cooked solid, and there's no green on the yolks.
  • rocknrobn92
    rocknrobn92 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Found this on pinterest and my best friend tried it and it works.

http://www.theburlapbag.com/2012/03/make-hard-boiled-eggs-in-the-oven/
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I crack the egg, then run it under water and it peels well when wet.
  • acr0bat
    acr0bat Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you prick one end with a pointed knife it seems to let the air out (stops it bursting in the pot) and I've found the shell comes off pretty easy.

al
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The secret to clean peeling eggs is NOT boiling. Steam them. We steam our eggs, it's easier, cleaner, you can do more at a time and the shell comes off PERFECTLY!

We will NEVER go back to boiling

http://whatscookingwithkids.com/2011/05/27/forget-hard-boiling-eggs-steamed-eggs-are-easy-to-peel/