only eating natural

Options
does anybody cut out proccessed food and only eat natural and do you feel better for it?

Replies

• KettleBellHoe
    KettleBellHoe Posts: 161
    Options
    I like to eat organic no artificial flavors no preservatives no hormones or chemical additives. It makes a HUGE difference since I've been eating on this level for two years If i ever do consume the listed items my body gets ill and basically rejects the non natural products. I also noticed a huge spike in my energy level when my diet consists of lots of natural whole and super foods.

The reason why most people can eat processed garbage is because their body gets use to it over time, especially if they were raised eating junkfood regularly.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I attempt to do that as best I can for about 2+ years now and I feel TONS better. I have far more energy.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I feel a lot better/ have more energy if I can stay away from processed foods, no doubt!
  • fallenangel86
    Options
    yeah am attempting it now has am always tired and have mood swings and just feel down x
  • barbaradilisio
    Options
    I've started doing this as well. The main thing I've noticed is my energy level remains the same and I don't have to eat as much to feel full. I don't need to drink coffee in the morning to wake myself up.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    The nice thing about food allergies is that it's hard to get processed foods, so most of what I eat is natural.

YES, I feel better and have more energy but, every once in a while, it's nice to have a treat and not worry about it.
  • countrygirlatheart0717
    countrygirlatheart0717 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I suggest you check out the Paleo Diet - it's AWESOME! My new favorite sites are: www.paleoeveryday.com and www.paleomg.com both have DELICIOUS recipes!
  • fallenangel86
    Options
    how many calories do you eat has mine on here says 1200 but i heard not to pay attention to calories has much if your eating natural i know you need potion control but i dont want to go into starvation mode
  • fallenangel86
    Options
    thanks barbaradilis will check that out x
  • Brieve29
    Brieve29 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    About 5 years ago my husband and I went to eating mostly organic and cutting out most processed foods. It made a huge difference. I have been an asthmatic since I was a small child and been on all kinds of preventive medications. Once I started the diet I stopped taking all my preventive medications and my asthma actually got better! From at least 3 or 4 attacks a week to maybe one attack a month. Also it really helps with digestion. If we don't eat so natural/organic my belly can tell a big difference.
  • LauraLane42
    LauraLane42 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have only been doing that for a couple weeks now. I did have a few headaches at first ,but have felt really good the second week.
    Food is starting to taste better and better with less condiments. I feel better than I have in a long time and have lots of energy.
    If you need some encouragement try some of the documentaries available on the web like forks over knives & food inc. Good luck !
  • fallenangel86
    Options
    thanks x
  • TinnedTuna
    TinnedTuna Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have eaten all the rubbish most people have but about 4 months ago i made a real change in my life and i am trying to eat fresh whole foods, mainly successfully but not fully 100%, i really do feel way better am i'm not your average conscious eater, but i will continue to keep at it as i now feel it's worth the effort, no more frozen meals, pizza etc.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want. I feel great about it.

Just be more aware of how much you are eating, and you can pretty have anything you want.
  • fallenangel86
    Options
    , no more frozen meals, pizza etc.

thats what am doing :) x
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    My goal each day is to eat 80% raw fruits and vegetables and that has worked great for me in staying healthy and maintaining my weight. I also take Juice Plus+ which is even more fruits and vegetables! (17). I often fail at getting to 80% but that is why I bridge the gap with my JP+. Once you start implementing natural whole foods it will slowly push out all the bad foods in your diet.

For additional motivation: Over 4000 clinical studies show that eating the daily recommended amount of raw fruits and vegetables will lower the risk of chronic illness (cancer, heart disease, diabetes etc...) and deliver the vitamins and minerals your body needs daily. Medical science reminds us every day that good nutrition and good health go hand in hand. The problem is that most of us don’t eat nearly enough fruits and vegetables, especially not a wide variety every day. We find fruits and vegetables too inconvenient and too expensive and most fail to get the recommended 9 to 13 servings every day.
  • Horseyrider
    Horseyrider Posts: 22
    Options
    I don't go to the grocery for much of anything except toilet paper and the occasional roll of paper towel. Oh, and plastic wrap, and worchestershire. I'm not going to make worchestershire.

I'm a 'from scratch' cook. I have an organic garden and grow most of the veggies and fruits we eat; and then I can, freeze, root cellar, or dehydrate the excess. I have my own flock of organic chickens for eggs, and use the eggs to barter for apples in the fall. I came home with ten bushels last fall-- Mutsus, Yellow Delicious, and Honeycrisp. We drink raw milk and eat milk fed pork and grass fed beef, all grown locally by people I know well. We get our wheat berries from the Mennonites and I grind our flour and bake our own bread, scones, biscuits, muffins, cookies, and cakes. We also get bushels of peaches there, as well as organic cane sugar, oats, Amish cheeses, etc. I make my own cottage cheese though.

We don't drink soda. No HFCS. No processed foods of any kind. No lunch meat, no rBST, no weird chemicals, no artificial sweeteners, no foods that my grandmother wouldn't have recognized. And especially NO GMOs!!! The only fats we use are olive oil, pasture butter I've made myself, sunflower oil to make mayonnaise, and lard that's not been hydrogenated.

Today I had a gorgeous salad for lunch made with tiny organic greens picked and washed right before I ate, fresh chives, bits of rare porterhouse steak (leftovers from the other night), walnuts, organic balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil, all covered with cracked black pepper. And a nice glass of cold milk.

I hope you will continue. I was diagnosed a few years ago with insulin resistance. My doctor felt it originated in my second pregnancy 33 years ago, and other than things I did for myself, I went untreated because no doctor recognized it. I was a part of the organic movement ever since the seventies. Eating natural foods with attention to the glycemic index all those years, and my high level of activity with my horses and gardening, is why my doctor says saved me from becoming diabetic. She says I'll probably be able to stave it off until I'm in my 70s.

Eating well has tremendous payback in terms of health, both short term and long term. Treat yourself well; you deserve good things.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I mostly avoid any canned and packaged foods, although being a pescetarian, I do incorporate some tofu and quorn into my diet. I no longer tend to have microwave meals and I was never into tinned foods (other than tuna and sardines) or pizza from stores anyway. I eat mainly fresh vegetables, fruit, wholegrain rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes, greek yoghurt, fish, eggs and beans, although I don't get much organic right now due to costs and I have yet to find a source of organic fish in my uk city thus far.