Bump
  • Jme2012
    Jme2012 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lad323
    lad323 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I make this one a lot, but I sort of guess at the measurements so here's a close approximation.

Cook about a cup and a half of lentils and a cup of green split peas. I usually add a couple scoops of vegetable broth to the water.
    Boil it in just enough water so that there's not a lot left over.
    Add 1 pkg of frozen spinach and a can of stewed tomatoes (or tomato soup/tomato paste/spaghetti sauce).
    Brown some garlic and onions to add in and your choice of spices (I usually do oregano, salt, pepper).

I used to eat it as is, but last time I blended it in the food processor when I was done and it tasted great! Its really low cal, filling and cheap. Top with a little cottage cheese.

Bump! I have got to try this!!
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bumpo
  • tmstebb
    tmstebb Posts: 13
    Options
    SKINNY LOADED BAKED POTATO SOUP

Ingredients:

For Soup
    3 cups fat-free chicken broth
    1 cup plain light soymilk
    1 large potato (about 14.5 oz.)
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    2 tbsp. chopped onion
    2 tbsp. shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
    2 tbsp. fat-free sour cream
    1 tbsp. real bacon bits (like the kinds by Oscar Mayer and Hormel)
    3/4 tsp. garlic powder
    3/4 tsp. onion powder
    1/2 tsp. minced garlic
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. black pepper

For Topping
    5 tsp. shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
    5 tsp. fat-free sour cream
    5 tsp. diced scallions
    2 1/2 tsp. real bacon bits

Directions:
    Pierce potato with a fork in multiple places, and then place it on a paper towel or microwave-safe plate. Microwave for 8 - 10 minutes, until potato is soft. Once cool enough to handle, remove and discard the skin (either by peeling skin off or cutting potato open and scooping out the insides). Mash the potato pulp with a fork and set aside.

Bring a medium pot sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and minced garlic and cook for 1 - 2 minutes, until onion has softened. Add broth and soymilk. Slowly add the flour, continuously stirring until it has completely dissolved.

Add mashed potato and stir until fully blended. Add all other ingredients for soup, but not for topping (cheese, sour cream, bacon, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper). Mix well, reduce heat, and simmer for 2 minutes.

Divide soup among five bowls. (Or pour about 1 cup into a bowl now, and refrigerate the rest for another day.) Top each bowl with 1 tsp. each of cheese, sour cream, and scallions. Sprinkle each bowl with 1/2 tsp. bacon bits. Enjoy!

MAKES 5 SERVINGS

PER SERVING (1/5th of recipe, about 1 cup with toppings): 130 calories, 1g fat, 564mg sodium, 22g carbs, 2g fiber, 2.5g sugars, 7.5g protein
  • cjb_39
    cjb_39 Posts: 3
    Options
    sounds amazing:smile:
    SKINNY LOADED BAKED POTATO SOUP

Ingredients:

For Soup
    3 cups fat-free chicken broth
    1 cup plain light soymilk
    1 large potato (about 14.5 oz.)
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    2 tbsp. chopped onion
    2 tbsp. shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
    2 tbsp. fat-free sour cream
    1 tbsp. real bacon bits (like the kinds by Oscar Mayer and Hormel)
    3/4 tsp. garlic powder
    3/4 tsp. onion powder
    1/2 tsp. minced garlic
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. black pepper

For Topping
    5 tsp. shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
    5 tsp. fat-free sour cream
    5 tsp. diced scallions
    2 1/2 tsp. real bacon bits

Directions:
    Pierce potato with a fork in multiple places, and then place it on a paper towel or microwave-safe plate. Microwave for 8 - 10 minutes, until potato is soft. Once cool enough to handle, remove and discard the skin (either by peeling skin off or cutting potato open and scooping out the insides). Mash the potato pulp with a fork and set aside.

Bring a medium pot sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and minced garlic and cook for 1 - 2 minutes, until onion has softened. Add broth and soymilk. Slowly add the flour, continuously stirring until it has completely dissolved.

Add mashed potato and stir until fully blended. Add all other ingredients for soup, but not for topping (cheese, sour cream, bacon, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper). Mix well, reduce heat, and simmer for 2 minutes.

Divide soup among five bowls. (Or pour about 1 cup into a bowl now, and refrigerate the rest for another day.) Top each bowl with 1 tsp. each of cheese, sour cream, and scallions. Sprinkle each bowl with 1/2 tsp. bacon bits. Enjoy!

MAKES 5 SERVINGS

PER SERVING (1/5th of recipe, about 1 cup with toppings): 130 calories, 1g fat, 564mg sodium, 22g carbs, 2g fiber, 2.5g sugars, 7.5g protein
  • marylou1976
    marylou1976 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    bump
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    You guys make me want an immersion blender.

And not just for use on children or coworkers, this time.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    You can't reeeeeallly mess up with soup right?

ummmmm, let me introduce you to my mother-in-law....

Or me. I mess up soup like its nobody's business. HAH!
  • chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    bump for later, the carrot and lentil one sounds amazing.
  • crodrigu73
    crodrigu73 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bump~Love soups and always looking for new recipes.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I like soups, but to be honest my favorite part of making soup is actually making the broth. Once I make a good broth I just toss in whatever meat and veggies I have laying around the kitchen that are about to expire soon.

I highly recommend making/storing your own broth. If you eat a lot of chicken this is easy to do, just save and freeze the back and neck bones left after carving.
  • miamigirl123
    miamigirl123 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is a mainstay for me, VERY low cal, easy to make, and good!

2 quarts of chicken broth
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 green pepper ( large) cut into 1/2 inch pieces
    1 medium onion, diced
    1/2 cabbage, chopped
    Place all these ingredients into a pot, and bring to a biol, then simmer for about 10 minutes. Do not overcook the cabbage.

This is a base.... I then can add chicken, beef, hamburger, turkey.... any protein I wish. I can add spiced to each bowl too, for a varied flavor. Like adding mexican spices such as cumin and chili powder for a with the chicken for a mexican flavor. I add the protiens to the bowl, not the base. You CAN add a meat to the base if you wish, however, I like to make each bowl a bit different. Each bowl is about 20-30 calories, and can be eaten whenever one is hungry.

This is a great one! Trying it today :)
  • miamigirl123
    miamigirl123 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    All of these recipes sound awesome! I will def be trying them all soon :)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Cauliflower soup (u need a blender for this) Makes 2 servings
    1 medium caulifower head (break it up to tiny flowerets)
    1 red onion
    1-2 tbsp olive oil
    salt and pepper
    1cup Chicken broth (if you are a Filipino you can make 1 pack of Magic sarap+1cup water)
    1/2 cup light evaporated milk
    Chili powder & chopped chives (optional, i like mine spicy)

Saute onion in olive oil, add caulifower, add chicken broth, cook till cauliflower is soft then let it cool for a bit before putting it on the blender. Blend it all till it becomes smooth, return it back to the pan, add salt, pepper and milk. DONE (add chicken bits or fish or shrimp if you want)

Mmm Going to try this one!!
  • tmpayton
    tmpayton Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    b
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I make one every other day! Usually just dump in whatever veggies are on hand along with mirepoix.

Todays was: diced onion, carrots, celery, sauteed in a tsp of EVOO. Threw in two diced bella mushrooms, a diced roma tomato, and some water and chicken stock. brought to a simmer, and for flavor, added seaweed, dried shrimp, salt, pepper, and herbs. Only 160 calories for around 4 cups worth

I use organic, low sodium free-range chicken broth from costco.

Edit: Tomato soup is also fantastic. Just blanch a couple, peel the skin off, and blend it with chicken stock. Saute chopped garlic in EVOO, and pour the mixture, bring to a boil, and season with salt and pepper. Serve with grated parmesan. (about 130 cals for 1.5 cups with cheese)
  • AHealthyMe1lbAtATime
    AHealthyMe1lbAtATime Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Let me share with you the easiest recipe ever!!

Taco Soup (ww rec from a long time ago)

Brown 1 lb lean hamburger
    2 cans tomatoes diced
    1 can tomato sauce
    1 can corn
    1 can blk beans
    1 taco seasoning pkg or I use 1/2 of Trader Joes pkg.
    1 pkg ranch

Simmer for 20mins. Taste best the next day:)

I know this isn't for the clean eater, but very good if you're not:)
  • FrankWorsley
    FrankWorsley Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later. I can think of plenty of main ingredients to put in the soup. My problem is I don't know much about spices to add. I know it's "to taste" but knowing spices to use will get me started.