Hard-boiled eggs

Options
13»

Replies

• misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I used to over cook my eggs all the time and the yolk would look green on the outside. My husband said haven't you ever heard the saying the 8 minute egg? No I said, and 8 minutes isn't quite "done" enough for me so I bring them to a boil and as soon as it starts a rolling boil I turn the heat off and let sit in the hot water for 9 minutes. Then I drain and run cold water over them. Works every time. Sometimes I think if the egg isn't really fresh the shell will stick but that's just my guess. I've tried salt no salt, etc. and once in awhile you just get a bad batch. Usually when I need them for deviled eggs :S
  • flstarlady65
    flstarlady65 Posts: 129
    Options
    This is funny...I just asked my BF (chef at Waldorf Astoria) about that and he said the proper way to make hard boiled eggs..

start by putting eggs in cold water and then bring to boil.
    After boiling for 15 min. put them in ice cold water.
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone about the age of the eggs making a difference -- older eggs peel easier. If you want hard boiled eggs, buy them a couple of weeks ahead of time. Use the fresh ones for scrambling, frying, baking, etc.

I usually put my eggs in a pot, add water to cover an inch above the eggs, heat to a boil, simmer/lightly boil for 10 minutes, then immediately plunge them in cold water until they've cooled. Not only are they easy to peel after that, the yolks are cooked solid, and there's no green on the yolks.

See maybe I had it backwards. Definitely think it has to do with age just not sure which way it goes.
  • LastTenPoundsGodDamnYou
    LastTenPoundsGodDamnYou Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    This is a brilliant thread! Thank you
  • Lcharters53
    Options
    I never know if they are done, but after boiling, cool and when you get ready to take the shell off, you pop the larger round end down first. then follow by tapping the sides and the other end. The air bubble inside the fat end of the egg forces the air up around the egg and makes the shell come off easier. If your egg is not very fresh, it will not peal easy with any method.
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    Your eggs may be too new when you boil them. Buy eggs and let them sit for a while (not until they expire) but for a bit and try boiling them then. You will have an easier time peeling them. I learned the hard way one Thankgiving when my mom bought eggs and boiled them. They were a nightmare to get out of the shells and make them pretty for the dinner.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle with peeling eggs until I learned a really easy technique. After boiling, I run them under cold water for a minute until they are cold enough to handle then I simply tap the egg lightly and quickly many times against the counter until the whole shell is in tiny pieces. It takes literally 20 seconds to do. Once the shell is crushed, I take the side of my thumb and push the peel off. It slides off in one piece, no problem ;)
  • Horseyrider
    Horseyrider Posts: 22
    Options
    I have my own organic flock, and I find that steaming the eggs in a commercial cooker makes it possible to get all the peel and leave all the white with eggs that were laid just hours ago. After steaming I plunge them into cold water, and they peel clean as a whistle.
  • annahiven
    annahiven Posts: 185
    Options
    Just run them in cold water for a few minutes. Easy-peasy. :)
  • pinkmander
    pinkmander Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Fresh eggs are harder to peel! How long you cook them for or what you do with them right after is irrelevant!
    Use older eggs, 8-10 days, perfect!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    My hard-boiled eggs never cook so that the shell comes off cleanly! I always wind up losing half the egg because it is stuck to the shell. So I know this is something that is so simple, but how does everyone cook their hardboiled eggs? What temperature? How long? Thanks :)

This happens to me if I put the eggs in cold water and heat it up.

If I get the water boiling first, then put the eggs in they peel clean.
  • jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I put a little vinegar in my water?? not sure if it helps, I like to think it does, but I could be totally off whack

This works for me!

Also, cooling an ice bath before peeling.
    Cooking- I usually bring to a boil then remove from heat and set covered 15 min. works like a charm.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I just bring them to boil for a few minutes (3-5?). Then let sit covered for about 15-20. I take the shell off right after they are done cooking.

This is what I do.

And then once they cool, I dip them in roasted red pepper hummus. Mmmm... :)
  • joifairell
    joifairell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I buy them already boiled and peeled at publix....saves time and no messy shell peeling
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Use older eggs, and use a teaspoon to shell them - much easier!
    Just crack the shell to get it started then slide a teaspoon under the shell and wiggle it around to "scoop" the egg out.