Constipation...I know embarrassing but I need to discuss it

Options
I have always, I suppose, struggled with having regular bowels movements. I used psyllium husk in my bran and it helped a lot. However, three months ago I quit smoking and my bowel problem came back with a vengeance. I have tried all sorts of things...ground flax, different brands of bran, and I drink loads of water, and exercise....tonight's trial is prune juice....
Does anyone have suggestions...or need to vent their fustrations...

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Have you started any new medications that might be the culprit?
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :wink: Constipation is just another fun roaadside park along this road we are on.

When I worked in Nursing homes a LOT of people swore by warm prune juice.
    My mother and I have had good luck with Yogurt, However you do have to eat the Yogurt regularly to keep getting the benefits.

:drinker: Good Luck.
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    I don't know if you've tried fiber one bars, but they are delicious, not too high in calories, and add a lot of fiber into your diet. Prunes should also do the trick. My mom is a nurse at a hospital, and she's told me how effective prunes can be.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    try eliminating dairy!
  • monicakelly21
    Options
    Thank you so much...
    I really appreciate all the replies..!!
  • monicakelly21
    Options
    and no not one medication...
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I find I have to balance soluble and insoluber fiber. Popcorn usually does the trick for me as well as fibrous fruits (strawberries, grapefruit, oranges, prunes, raisins) and veggies (asparagus, green beans)
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,753 Member
    Options
    I swear by stool softeners. I eat quite a lot of fiber, but I still need help fairly frequently. I've experienced three bouts of diverticulitis, and I'd rather avoid a fourth, so keeping things moving is pretty important to me.
  • smiles04
    Options
    how bout you try drinking some benefiber. it does wonders! :wink: and prunes can also do the trick. hope that helps. :flowerforyou:
  • namaste0810
    Options
    so the reason why it came back after you stopped smoking is because cigarettes have a laxative in them. I know because I went through the same problem when I stopped. What has helped me is stool softener with laxative and spirulina( its a freshwater algae- I know but it comes in tablet form). Im a vegan so I dont get alot of the protein needed so I started taking it for that but in my research I found that it helps regulate digestion. You can find it in any health food store.

Hope it helps

To wait until tomorrow is to late.:happy:
  • stahlight
    Options
    a nice bowl of parsley has always helped me. It's kind of like nature's broom...

And by no means eat cheese, it's a bit like natures drain stopper :laugh: