HRM Question

Options
tomomatic
tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
Is there an HRM out there that goes off when you go out of your cardio range?

I keep getting distracted and I need something that will beep and tell me to get back to work. I have a Polar FT7 and I can't find a feature like this in the manual.

Replies

• SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    For the Polar FT7:

Settings > Training settings > Heart rate upper limit > On

I don't use the feature, so I'm not 100% sure how it works.

What I want to know is if there is a HRM that uses vo2max as part of the calculation for calories burned. I've noticed as I've gotten more fit, my caloric burn has gone down for the same workout. That can't be right, and I've heard vo2max settings would adjust for this.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    For the Polar FT7:

What I want to know is if there is a HRM that uses vo2max as part of the calculation for calories burned. I've noticed as I've gotten more fit, my caloric burn has gone down for the same workout. That can't be right, and I've heard vo2max settings would adjust for this.

Your looking for the Polar FT40 or FT60.. both use VO2max.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Your caloric burn should go down as you get more fit... Especially if you lose weight, but also, because your heart rate doesn't get a shigh doing the same exercise. t sucks, but it's true. Just be happy that you are getting healthier :)

I use a Polar FT4 and mine will beep when I get out of the range. I like to be out of the range sometimes though, anaerobic exercise has it's own other benefits.
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I take the question to mean when he drops below his range. I don't think that is an option at all.
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    For the Polar FT7:

i believe my garmin hrm does. i don't really understand it, but in the detailed report of my activity it'll say what my %s were for vo2max under the heart rate category.
  • mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My Timex does... I have it set for 62%-82% of my personal max (I chose percent over actual heart rate), and I have the beeper off since I just like to be able to look down and see if I'm there, and if not, where I am, since as was said, anaerobic rates have plenty of merits too. Then, when reviewing my chrono stats, it tells me the amount of time I spent in and out of range, average HR, and highest and lowest rates.
  • smor27
    smor27 Posts: 87
    Options
    In the setup you have the option to turn on the beep. I beleive it is in the setup for the range. But it may be in the initial setup.
  • IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of Vo2max until I got my second HRM...I don't know wat to set mines on?????????
  • SteveHunt113
    Options
    I have never heard of Vo2max until I got my second HRM...I don't know wat to set mines on?????????
    You can get an estimate here: http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/vo2max-calculator.aspx#restingheartrate
  • SteveHunt113
    Options
    Your caloric burn should go down as you get more fit... Especially if you lose weight, but also, because your heart rate doesn't get a shigh doing the same exercise. t sucks, but it's true. Just be happy that you are getting healthier :)
    I've been researching this, and I don't think it's true. vo2max basicaly indicated how well your body takes oxygen from the lungs and gets it to where it is needed. As your vo2max number goes up, it means your body is more efficient at supplying your body with oxygen. One side affect is that your heart rate does not get as high. This does not mean you are burning less calories but that your blood stream is more oxygenated.

Since oxygen is used to burn calories, your heart rate is a way to measure how hard your are working. But this does not take into consideration your efficiency at oxygenating your body. So as your vo2max goes up, your HRM says you are burning less calories.

What is vo2max? These are my words, but they are based on what I've read:
    vo2max is the measure of oxygen that your body consumes under maximum effort. The most accurate way to get a reading is to be hooked up to a machine that can measure the volume of air you breath in (which has a constant oxygen percentage), and then measures the amount of oxygen you breath out (your lungs do not absorb all that you breath in). I calculation can then be made to figure out how much oxygen you are actually absorbing as you breath. The higher the vo2max, the more oxygen you are absorbing with each breath.

Sooooo, vo2max does need to be used to determine calories burned if you want to get an accurate reading from your HRM.

NOTE: I left out all the technical mumbo jumbo in the vo2max definition: the number is way more complex than I've indicated, but wanted to use simple terms.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Interesting about the upper limit.

Is there a way to set a lower limit? My issue is that I get distracted from my workout (wrangling fighting children, answering a phone call, etc) and I need something that tells me "Hey! Get moving or you'll fall out of your lower limit." or "Pick up the pace! You're slacking off!"