5K racers: making goals

Options
KF1216
KF1216 Posts: 175 Member
Hey fellow runners!
I've been serious about running since about February and did my first 5k race in April. My original goal was to do it in under 36 minutes and I finished in 33:33. I did another last weekend and finished in 36:01 (I'm happy with it though because I have an injured hip so probably shouldn't have been out there in the first place). There are local races all summer long but I'm feeling like I should wait to run another until I can achieve some great goal. I'm thinking I want to be able to run it in under 30. How long would you imagine it would take to achieve that? I was thinking of waiting until the fall, by then I should be down to goal weight (I've got 20ish left to go). Any tips for improving my time?

What's your next goal, how far off is your race, and how do you plan to achieve your goal?

Replies

• KF1216
    Options
    bump...noone wants to share their goals?
  • gilito
    gilito Posts: 5
    Options
    Too old to run (these knees are wearing out) but I can walk 5Km in under one hour. I am trying to walk 3 hours a week and I am going to get hiking poles to add workout to the upper body. I believe I will also burn more calories that way.

Why don't you try walking until your hip gets better?
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you do some strength training to correct your hip issue. Running often brings out your muscle imbalances which materialize as soreness and injuries.

As for a goal, my goal for a race like a 5 k is usually the same

1) I want to run faster than last time - keep in mind that races like 5ks are so short that it can be hard to see large gains race to race after awhile
    2) not run stupid - this means at mile 1.5, I don't want to be thinking that I am a moron and thinking about stopping. I want to run a 5k controlled and strong
    3) not fade
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You can visit runnersworld.com and you will find a ton are articles on how to increase your speed and beat your previous race time. I personally would incorporate some speed intervals into your running workouts to build up your endurance. My fastest 5k time was 25:31 and I only ran that fast because I was pissed off as hell because so dumb *ss backed into my brand new car as I was trying to park it at the racing event and completely took about the whole front of my car. I had to have it towed and my husband had to come so he could give me a ride home. I was so upset that I was going to leave but I decided to stay and run the race anyway. I havent been able to beat that time since but thats okay.
  • KF1216
    Options
    You can visit runnersworld.com and you will find a ton are articles on how to increase your speed and beat your previous race time. I personally would incorporate some speed intervals into your running workouts to build up your endurance. My fastest 5k time was 25:31 and I only ran that fast because I was pissed off as hell because so dumb *ss backed into my brand new car as I was trying to park it at the racing event and completely took about the whole front of my car. I had to have it towed and my husband had to come so he could give me a ride home. I was so upset that I was going to leave but I decided to stay and run the race anyway. I havent been able to beat that time since but thats okay.

LOL!!! The first time I ran 5k (not a race, just on my own) I did it in like 35 min because my husband and I just got into a giant fight. It made me go far & FAST! LOL
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My first 5K goal was to finish under 40 minutes (which I did.....barely) a year later at the same race I wanted to finish in 25:00 but ended up running a 26:46 as I started out too fast and blew my brains out.

The main thing I did to improve my time was simply to run more (frequency & distance) and build some speed work in (hills, some 400s on the track) but I suspect the biggest gain was simply a function of improved fitness.

My running took me in a different direction after that. I know I'm not Speedy Gonzales but I found that if I pace myself I can run longer distances and will be running my 3rd half marathon in a couple of weeks and if things go well enough I'm contemplating a marathon next year. I should find a 5K to sign up for though, just to see if I can bust 25:00.........

One of the interesting things I've found about running is that it both answers and asks questions of you at the same time. You have a great race or training run and you pat yourself on the back and think "Wow, I can run 5 miles (or whatever distance)......I wonder if I can run 6?????"
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I'm preparing to run my very first race ever in early June & it's a 10K. My original goal was to complete it in less than an hour, but I'm going to have to modify that goal. Last Saturday on my weekly run, I ran 10K in 54:34 & that's going over (& back) an overpass near my home twice. Now I'm aiming for less than 45 minutes. I guess we'll see how it goes.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first July 14th. My goal is really simple: Finish, not finish last and not puke. I'll be happy if I finish in under 40 minutes.

I think doing you next one in under 30 minutes is a great goal.
  • happyhaunt
    happyhaunt Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first 5k race in July. I'm pretty nervous. I did my first 5k about 6 weeks ago on a treadmill and that took me around 42 minutes. I have since ran 9 5k's outside for training and my quickest time is around 30 minutes. Some days it's super hard (like today) and sometimes I find it really easy.
    I would love to be able to run a 10k, so I might start gradually increasing my distance.
  • Starzy696
    Starzy696 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I just ran a 5K after a 2 year hiatus from running. I ran it in 32:15.

I would like to get under 30 mins if possible.
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    I've been running for about 3 years -- done distances from 5ks to marathons. Best 5k was 26:13 -- so my goal is to beat that! I'm giving it a try this weekend! hopefully the planets will align so I can do it :bigsmile:

JBApplebee -- love love love your picture!!!!
  • KF1216
    Options
    I'm running my first July 14th. My goal is really simple: Finish, not finish last and not puke. I'll be happy if I finish in under 40 minutes.

I think doing you next one in under 30 minutes is a great goal.

I mentioned it to a couple of friends today who also ran the 5k with me this weekend and they were like, wow, 30 minutes would be so fast!!! But it's really not *that* fast, is it? Its 3, 10 minute miles...doable...right? haha
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    My only goal is to beat my time before. I have ran 3. First was around 31 min, then my goal was under 30, the 2nd race was 30:10 (I was so mad but the race was so hilly), the 3rd race which was last weekend was 29:10. So my next goal is under 29.

I am starting to train for a half marathon in the fall so I hope to do a 10k soon :)

Good luck!
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    my next 5k will be on may 26th. I'll be aiming to finish quicker than my first 5k which was 23:02.

my next goal is to get sub 20:00, then sub 18:00.

but obviously my ultimate goal is to freakin' win one! =)
  • FloraSin
    FloraSin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've been one of those super early and late night 'nobody-can-see-me-run' people for a while now. A long while. Like...a year. I've told myself that eventually, I'm going to have to let someone else see me if I want to ever take on a race.

September I'll do a 5k and hope to finish in less than 30.

Most importantly though, I don't want to get anxious and vomit because I'm nervous. :embarassed:
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I agree with the strength training. I found that after I stopped doing high impact cardio other than running, those aches and pains within my hips and legs started to come on pretty fast. Make sure you are mixing up your routines, as well. Foam rollers are awesome for stretching.
  • SalamanderMeg
    SalamanderMeg Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first one on Saturday in 25:10-I'm going to keep doing them once a month and try to keep beating my time!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good goal, OP.

Personally, I've been running since February as well (Feb 20th), but have signed up to my first race in October. I wanted to take it slow and be confident I could finish, and didn't really have a goal time in mind, but knew I wanted to be under 40 minutes, so I set a date way in the future to give myself time to be sure of my endurance. By then, I hadn't even managed my first 5k.

I ran my first 5k non-stop on 30th April, at 39:28, so I was already under my goal time. Now, I'm running them regularly with my recent PB being 36:34. Of course, if I'm ill or dehydrated I still can't manage the 5k, and I currently do the same route daily whilst my 5k will be on different terrain in a completely different place, so it's still not guaranteed.

I'm also not sure, as a short fat woman (5ft 1.8in) what speed I can physically be capable of running. Little legs imply I should be slower than taller women, but I'm not sure what I can expect to eventually manage.

I'll be happy if I finish. I'm asking for sponsorship, so to me the day will be a success if I get to the end and have earned money for charity.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    How long it will take to get your time under 30 min is impossible to say, especially without knowing how much you are running now. However, the more you can run without injuring yourself the faster the improvement will come. If you are running 3 days a week now then start running 4 days. Later, increase it to 5 days if you want to. None of this running has to be particularly hard right now. You will improve a lot by just improving your aerobic capacity through easy running.

My only 5k this year was in March with a time of 20:10. I got there with mostly just easy pace running for 10 to 12 hours a week. I would like to get under 20:00 this year but may have to wait until the temps cool down a little. My primary goal is a fall marathon so I train for that rather than 5K training specifically.
  • abhiforlife
    abhiforlife Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My PB is just under 32:00, so the next target is to get to 30 mins. Also, everytime I do go out, I aim to finish 5k :)