gym schedual? need advice

Options
can someone help me with something i plan to start going to the gym for as long as i can... but how should i do it.... cardio one day? strength the next? how would you do it??? need a little advice im trying to lose or tone up 69 pounds of chunk

Replies

• IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I do strength training first (after a 5-10min warmup), then I do 60mins of cardio...or 45mins of cardio, but NO less then 45mins and I'm not talking bout walking on the treadmill..u got to make that heart rate work..if ur gym has Body Pump, I recommend that class for toning/strength...it is a rep affect program that is meant for toning...that weight will melt off so fast....oh, and u got to do cardio 5-6 days a week...if u have to use the buddy program, go for it...GOOD LUCK
  • alapoint89
    alapoint89 Posts: 632
    Options
    I do strength training first (after a 5-10min warmup), then I do 60mins of cardio...or 45mins of cardio, but NO less then 45mins and I'm not talking bout walking on the treadmill..u got to make that heart rate work..if ur gym has Body Pump, I recommend that class for toning/strength...it is a rep affect program that is meant for toning...that weight will melt off so fast....oh, and u got to do cardio 5-6 days a week...if u have to use the buddy program, go for it...GOOD LUCK
    thanks for this it looks like your the only one that answered lol... if anyone sees this i really could use your input
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Here's my current schedule:

Monday - full body strength training, about an hours worth of time. 3 sets of everything, heavy weight to breaking each set
    Tuesday - 3 mile run, at approximately 6-6.4MPH
    Wednesday - cross cardio, typically stair mill, for 40-45 minutes
    Thursday - same strength workout as Mon, 2 mile run at 6.5-7MPH
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - cross cardio, typically ARC Trainer, 60 minutes
    Sunday - run, increased distance by 1 mile each week, up to whatever my next race distance is (currently up to 7 miles) at around a 6.2 mile average pace

When I train for a half, the Tuesday run is 5 miles, Wednesday alternates between fartleks and hill work, Thursday run is 3 miles, and the Sunday run goes up to 13.5 miles before taper week.
  • Khrisxtine
    Khrisxtine Posts: 4
    Options
    well because of my schedule with my newborn and all it depends.. but right now it's looking like every other day I hit the gym for the weights and the days in between i do complex cardio..

i usually always log my workouts if you wanna check it out
    http://www.beautyandthebrute.com/search/label/gym session

I really recommend trying Jamie Eason's Live Fit Trainer! have heard many good things about it! and she has a meal plan and best of all it's free! I have a few friends trying it, but I wanted to stick to the sort of same routine I was doing before I got pregnant and some of the same exercises I was doing while pregnant.. since I did lose over 20lbs with what I was doing (weights 4x a week and cardio 3x a week)
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I have a foot injury now, so I am not as active as I could be... but for the next couple of months my schedule is:

5 days a week cardio for a minimum of 45 minutes (cycling is the most common activity)
    3 days a week of strength training and circuit training (typically BodyRock)
    1 day a week of cross country hiking (minimum of 4 miles)
    7 days a week of walking my dog at 3.0 pace for at least 1 mile (typically 2).

In the next few months I will be swapping some cycling for jogging, and adding yoga into the mix. Please note that this exercise regimen was a joint effort with my doctor (due to my injury). I go to the gym for the cardio and complete the rest at or around my home.

Edit to add: I find it is best for me to do my lower time cardio on my BodyRock days (ie: I only do 45 mins on those days, whereas I will complete 1 hour on the other 2 days that I do cardio) so I have the energy to complete it. I listen to my body and if I feel really tired one day, then I adjust my schedule and do an "easier" day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I do not do cardio myself as I would rather use my time to do strength training. But - for a balanced approach - you should try for 2 - 3 days weights and 2 - 4 days cardio. You can do them on the same day, or different days, but you should limit the cardio to an hour (unless training for something specific). I would also suggest that you also 'mix up' the cardio - high intensity some days, low intensity others.

You do not have to do cardio to lose weigh (you can just eat at a deficit) but cardio helps you create a deficit and has other advantages (cardiovasular etc).

You do not have to do strength training to lose weight but it will help as more muscle = higher metabolism, better body recomposition and its very good for bone strength (very important for women).

Tthe most important thing though is to do what you enjoy. Doing something at 75% effectiveness for the next year will lose you far more weight than doing domething at 100% effectiveness for only one month because you hate it. Play around with it and see what works.