cardio that DOESN'T involve walking?!?!?!

Options
Hi all

I've recently injured the bottom of my foot (got a piece of glass embedded there and the doc had to surgically remove it last night). Can anyone recommend any cardio and/or strength training that wouldn't require me to be on my feet?

I literally can't put any pressure on my foot at all....

Replies

• rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I've recently injured the bottom of my foot (got a piece of glass embedded there and the doc had to surgically remove it last night). Can anyone recommend any cardio and/or strength training that wouldn't require me to be on my feet?

I literally can't put any pressure on my foot at all....

swimming, seated rowing machines
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    All I can think of is punches, but I'm super new to exercising, lol
  • Mazzyx
    Mazzyx Posts: 131
    Options
    Anything that gets your heart racing would count! How about lying on your back and pretend you are pedalling a bike? I dont know if that would count, but I dont see why not?!
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Russian twists with a medicine ball, feet crossed at the ankles, off the ground
    Abdominal leg lifts
    Crunches with your feet up on a step/books
  • selfishshellfish
    Options
    I find that using my arms REALLY gets my heart rate up. Have you tried shadow boxing from a sitting position? Sounds nuts but quite effective.

Or consider upper body dumbbell exercises with a short rest period between sets. Weights really get my heart rate up, too.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    this
    http://www.fitnesscor.com/flwacyreupbo.html

excellent workout

I call it a handbike but they call it an upper body ergometer

there are other brands this is not an ad.
  • BubbleGumKisses
    BubbleGumKisses Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't know if a bike would work, with your foot injured.... swimming would be great tho!
  • sarajane31
    sarajane31 Posts: 18
    Options
    I broke my ankle a while back and actually lost some weight while I was off my feet. Are you on crutches? That's some serious cardio!

Also: these feel silly, but shadow boxing, rowing, etc. can be done while sitting down. I did a routine similar to this: http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/blobeseexercise.htm

And don't forget your core. You can do all kinds of core exercises (not just crunches) without putting weight on your feet.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Is it the sole or ball of your foot? If you can get away with toes, hit a stationary bike. Rowing machines will put pressure on it and inflammation is a ***** when you're trying to kick properly swimming.
  • Antjebeth08
    Antjebeth08 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I do the recumbent bike when I really don't want to/cant stand for very long.
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My feet and knees used to cause me problems and I couldn't stand on them. I would do boxing clases (on DVD) from my knees. It was actually a harder core workout because my legs weren't there to balance me. I would kneel on a pillow.
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    A lot of times I will swim with a float between my legs, cross my ankles and swim with only my arms.... it's a great workout!