Shirataki noodles... Yumm or Yuckk

Options
delonda1
delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
So I was thinking of buying some to try and well I want to know if they actually taste good? I know they have the tofu ones and the reg ones which Im sure I won't life the tofu ones because I don't like anything tofu really. What's your take on them and the best way to cook them. Do they have a strong Oder like I read about?

Replies

• tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I want to know too!!
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them yet but I read that they just need to be rinsed properly and the odour disappears. Also supposedly they are taste free and just adapt the flavours you put with them. Would really like to hear too what people say that have tried them.
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    OK, so after two years of "trying" to like these I "think" I've finally figured it out yesterday.
    The best ones are traditional shirataki. Not tofu, not anything other then white yam.
    I had them yesterday and although I needed to rinse them and dry fry them, the end result was yummy.
    I made them with half and half, ham, and parm cheese. Kind of italian style.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OK, so after two years of "trying" to like these I "think" I've finally figured it out yesterday.
    The best ones are traditional shirataki. Not tofu, not anything other then white yam.
    I had them yesterday and although I needed to rinse them and dry fry them, the end result was yummy.
    I made them with half and half, ham, and parm cheese. Kind of italian style.
    I like both, but actually prefer the tofu ones. :smile:
  • BeachyBecky
    BeachyBecky Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I didn't like them. I took them back. I think I tried the tofu one but not 100%.
  • hofdog
    hofdog Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I say yuck, I tried but NO.
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I once thought yuck, I I think yum, there is a thread here that talks about how to cook them. and it changed them for me. had them tonight in Pad Thai.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/536767-let-s-talk-about-shirataki-noodles?hl=Shirataki+noodles
  • sommerskins
    sommerskins Posts: 57
    Options
    I have found that they are good in stir fry recipes. I make them with Mrs. dash teriyaki sauce, chicken, mushrooms, grated carrots, brocolli and add some tofu and voila you have teriyaki noodles. I have tried to make spaghetti and that was YUCK!!! Then I made them with a small amount of pesto sauce and chicken with tomatos and basil and that was pretty tasty. They take some getting used to, but they are pretty tasty once you get past the texture.
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I can't eat the tofu ones but the yam ones are kind of yucky to me. I'm a texture person though and an extremely picky eater
  • MelHoneyRocks
    MelHoneyRocks Posts: 223
    Options
    My parents just bought these...what I see as the issue is there is no nutritional value and they are made completely from chemicals you cannot pronounce.
    *just saying*
  • milkandtea
    milkandtea Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I like them, they're good if you cook them properly! The noodles need to be rinsed and dried thoroughly or they won't absorb whatever you're flavoring them with.
  • Monkee8088
    Monkee8088 Posts: 143
    Options
    they tasted totally fishy to me and smelled awful....i rinsed them forever, but some people swear by them. i would give them a try because if you do like them they make a great low-cal alternative :) good luck
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have tried several times. I think it is a matter of taste and texture. I have rinsed them, dry fried them, and still don't like them. Everyone likes different stuff though. You won't know until you try them.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    My parents just bought these...what I see as the issue is there is no nutritional value and they are made completely from chemicals you cannot pronounce.
    *just saying*

That's a great point! Will need to look in to the ingredients
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    *just saying*

The ones in my fridge have as the ingredient list: yam flour, purified water, calcium hydroxide. That's it. Yam flour and water are recognizable food items, and calcium hydroxide is pretty innocuous as far as food chemicals go.

It's true that they have no nutritional value, except to fill you up. But what does regular white pasta give you, other than calories?
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I really like both kinds, I rinse, boil and then dry fry them to evaporate the water. Some people have stomach issues with them, I have never had any issue. They are good for bulking up a meal, such as mixing with chili. They really have no taste, texture could be an issue for some people. The PGX pills are made from the same thing as the noodles ---konjac root, supposed to work for weightloss.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Rinse with very hot water and you won't notice that "dead fish" smell. I tried them in soup.. Not a fan but LOVE LOVE LOVE them in a veggie stir fry. The texture is very different for traditional pasta so i hope you don't have your heart set on spaghetti and meat balls..lol
  • paulaann67
    paulaann67 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I like them must rinse well & dry as much as you can w paper towels . I find them a great substitute for pasta I make w shrimp, broccoli& marinara sauce!
  • sarah_boombah
    sarah_boombah Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness do they stink! Having said that though, I thoroughly, thoroughly rinsed them and put them in a veggie stir fry. They also ended up being covered in Plum Sauce and they weren't as bad as they smelt! I will buy them again. Brand was Changs 'Super Lo Cal' from memory - I think that's the same thing?
  • erin1276
    erin1276 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My mom SWEARS by them. She's on MFP as well so maybe she'll see my post and add her two cents! Anyway- She eats them all the time and she adds sesame oil. Her co-worker told her to add a little kimchi and then it's be even better. I have yet to try them....