question.. didn't know where to post

Options
mommajolynn
mommajolynn Posts: 353 Member
Is anyone trying to do this on a very limited income? I only have about 150 a month to spend on groceries for me and my son. How do you do it?

Replies

• JustCallMeLucky
    Options
    I'm the same. Frozen veg and fresh fruit is key for my son, and I usually shop at discount food stores or keep an eye out for easily frozen meat, (Mostly Chicken or Fish). But in saying that I am not actually sticking to a particular diet yet. So I don't know if our budget will be affected.

Good Luck with your weight loss. :)
  • mommajolynn
    mommajolynn Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I am kinda freaking out. Worried I won't be able to do this and still feed my son. I usually for the quick easy meals.. that are full of fat and other crap :(
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    look for farmer's markets in your area as those are good places to get quality food for a good price. you can also maybe look into joining one of those those deals where they send you a crate filled with produce for a price. i also know people who are doing something similar with meat and eggs, but that works best if you have a good freezer.

it's hard doing this on a budget since the foods you should be eating never have coupons attached to them.

you also want to make sure you create a menu for the week, that way you will know exactly what you need and won't end up buyong things you dont need
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Do you have a local store that does discount groceries? If Aldi is near you, check there for produce. They also price match with walmart (and I think target) so if their produce is gnarly, grab a printed ad and head over to walmart.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    Dried beans that come in a bag and bagged rice are inexpensive and nutrtitious.

Frozen veggies are good, buy whatever's on sale. Same with buying on-sale bulk chicken. Buy larger and freeze.

Eggs are inexpensive and a good source of protein. Hard boil them for sandwiches.

You are better off buying healthier foods than the fatty, fast food stuff with no nutrients. You can totally do this on $150 a month.