FitBit Information

Options
Anyone know where I can get a FitBit for under $100? It's just not in my budget to spend that much money on a HRM. But I love all that it offers and would like to add it to my daily routine.

Thanks for any input!

Replies

• LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    a fitbit isn't an hrm...it has nothing to do with your heart rate. it monitors steps taken, stairs, and sleep...
  • naprestsleep
    naprestsleep Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I got mine on amazon for $88 but now its $100 there. Id look around they may drop the price again.
  • Amy77521
    Amy77521 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You might be able to buy an opened on for a discounted price at Best Buy. Sometimes if someone returns an item Best Buy will repackage it if there is nothing wrong with it.
  • ZumbaBeast86
    Options
    Okay, Lilac Dreamer - it does monitor your heart rate. I have a friend in Zumba classes with me who wears a FItBit during class and it monitors her heart rate. I'm a teacher, so I'll use this on you: if you have nothing nice to say (or if your tone isn't nice) then just don't say anything at all.

To the others here: thanks! I'll keep my eyes peeled for lowered prices on Amazon, and I'll check out Best Buy!
  • LilacDreamer
    Options
    Okay, Lilac Dreamer - it does monitor your heart rate. I have a friend in Zumba classes with me who wears a FItBit during class and it monitors her heart rate. I'm a teacher, so I'll use this on you: if you have nothing nice to say (or if your tone isn't nice) then just don't say anything at all.

To the others here: thanks! I'll keep my eyes peeled for lowered prices on Amazon, and I'll check out Best Buy!

Excuse me? If I have nothing NICE to say? How was what I said rude in ANY way, shape, or form? I was stating a fact! F A C T.

The Fitbit is NOT an Heart rate monitor - not even a little. It tracks Steps, Stairs and Sleep. It is more along the lines of a pedometer. It does not have a chest strap, which is what most HRM's use.

I was giving you a FRIENDLY suggestion, and you chose to take it as something else. The keyword there is chose.

I own an HRM and it is inaccurate for someone to tell you the fitbit monitors the heart. I know people who have the fitbit, and it does NO SUCH THING. It is not designed to monitor activities where your heart rate is crucial (like cardio workouts). I am ordering one today for myself and I am fully aware of its limitations being that it has no way to gauge the heartrate. So get that through your head.

Do not ask for advice and then spit in the face of the person who tried to steer you in the right direction.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options

I wear my fitbit all the time & it does not monitor your heart rate.
  • LilacDreamer
    Options

I wear my fitbit all the time & it does not monitor your heart rate.

Thank you! But you better watch out or you might get scolded by the school teacher. What you said will be deemed rude and uncalled for. :huh:
  • JaimeBrown5
    JaimeBrown5 Posts: 324
    Options
    Whoa wow. That was rude of the OP.

You are mistaken OP, there is no monitoring of heart rate with the FitBit - some quick research on their website would confirm that.
    http://www.fitbit.com/product/specs

Your friend who tried to show you otherwise is wrong. I am NOT a teacher, but I'd like to remind YOU: It's nice to be NICE.
  • georgiag111
    georgiag111 Posts: 424
    Options
    Fitbit is not a hrm does not monitor it just steps , distance, calories burned ( which is slightly off) floors and sleep.

I got mine on amazon
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options

There was nothing in LilacDreamers tone that appeared rude and in fact LilacDreamer is correct. It does NOT monitor heart rate, it monitors movement and wearing one in zumba or any number of exercise classes would be beneficial as it measures movement. They are however not suitable for wearing for cycling, weightlifting etc as it cannot measure cardio output.

I love my fitbit, definitely worth getting one for motivation but if you do none step cardio a HRM would be a better bet.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    I'm just bumping because I want to see how this plays out. :smile:
  • georgiag111
    georgiag111 Posts: 424
    Options

Lol you mean you're bored and need some entertainment :wink:
  • sweetmelissa40
    Options

Bump...LOL
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options

Me too...

Bump
  • SkinnieFinnie
    SkinnieFinnie Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I got mine on eBay for $70.. BUT it's not a HRM. It's a fancy pedometer. Tracks steps, distance, activity level & sleep. The FitBit ultra tracks stairs (mine is the classic). I love it. I wear mine 24/7.. I'm really, really thinking about getting a HRM to go along with it, just to see how accurate it is. I have a feeling it estimates a little high for the calorie burn.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I have both a FitBit and a HRM. No, they are not the same.

Try checking Kijiji or eBay for some cheaper ones. I bought mine from the website, which is probably best because it broke and they replaced it for free :smile: Not sure if they would if I bought it from somewhere else.
  • Deltafliers
    Deltafliers Posts: 201 Member
    Options

I was just wondering that myself.
  • Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel
    Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Wow...a little research goes a long way....
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options

um they where right its not a HRM its a realy fancy pedomiter, i know i have both a fitbit ultra and a HRM

and try amazon, its where i got mine for 70$ in feb. they just released the aria so the price should go down soon
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Lol you mean you're bored and need some entertainment :wink:
    I don't usually bother with following messages but this one's got me curious. (okay, maybe I'm bored, too)