Too much protein

Options
Im having trouble balancing my intake and am consuming too much protein and not enough fat/carbs. Getting tired of avocado. What else can I be eating?! Thanks!

Replies

• tcheryl
    tcheryl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    what about almonds or other nuts? and more fruit for carbs? possibly apples or oranges
  • Paulbp4
    Paulbp4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    have you considered cooking your meats in olive oil?
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If you left the macronutrient ratios default for mfp, then it way lowballs protein.

If you are eating around 1 gram of protein per pound of desired weight, then you are fine. The caveat on that of course is that you don't suffer some highly irregular medical reason monitored by a physician that would be exacerbated by the protein consumption.

If it bothers you to see the red numbers, you can adjust it by doing custom settings for your goals.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I am always way over my protein, but at the same time I weight train 5 days a week, am always way under my carbs, always full of energy, loosing weight consistently and have seen no negative side effects from a high protein diet. If it works for you don't worry about how much protein they say to stay under, this website does math but does not know your body.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    What are you eating to get the protein? Not that it matters, as others have stated being over on protein isn't a problem unless you have a medical condition. It's just hard for me to imagine what you are eating to get your protein so high without fat/carbs. It can't be too much avocado - it's full of fat.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary but as others have said MfP default values are low.....I doubt you are overdoing protein. you should be targeting at least 1g / 1lb LBM
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I try to eat around 0.8-1g protein/lbs bodyweight. I work out hard, so I need it. But don't worry about eating too much protein, make sure you don't eat too much carbs!
    You can change the preset macros, because as previous posters said they are very low .
  • builtforlife
    builtforlife Posts: 259
    Options
    MFP always sets your protein intake at the most conservative amount possible.
    Its very possible that you're not eating too much protein.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I actually try to "red-line" my protein since it is very important in muscle building. Carbs (the right kind) are important as well for that end and that is usually where I run into a problem. There is probably no reason at all that you should worry about getting too little fat in your diet... Don't worry about that being too low (unless your doctor wants it that way for some reason)... that is the one I don't want to see redlined... (well, I don't like my carbs too high either..)