Therapy?

Options
Okay so I have a question unrelated to weight loss. I've recently realized that I get really upset about stupid little things, like really upset about things that aren't a big deal at all. This isn't something new but it's something I've been trying to control lately with limited success. I also have some major insecurity issues that I've had for a long time and I'm finally in a healthy relationship with an amazing man but I'm worried that my stupid little insecurities are going to sabotage it. My boyfriend is extremely patient with me and I can talk to him about almost anything, but I try to keep the truly crazy girl stuff to a minimum.

See the problem is I know I'm being ridiculous most of the time but I can't quit thinking about it. I don't know if I should try to talk to someone else like a counselor about it or just try to keep working on my patience by myself.

Has anyone else had issues similar to this and found therapy to help?

The other problem is I have a BS and an MA in psychology so I worry that therapy is out of the question because if they ask me something I'll like know where they're going with you.

Thanks for any input!

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    While I don't have these type of issues, I've dated girls who have. They can wear on you after a while, no matter how much of a good heart you have. I would say absolutely go see someone, if for no other reason than to talk to someone about the issues and get them out without stressing the relationship. Sometimes, even when you are an expert on a topic, you still need to bounce ideas off someone else.

There's obviously some reason for the insecurity, and whether you know what that reason is or not, until you face it and deal with it, it's going to cause problems in your relationship. Put it this way, it can't hurt!
  • MDF08
    MDF08 Posts: 57
    Options
    While I don't have these type of issues, I've dated girls who have. They can wear on you after a while, no matter how much of a good heart you have. I would say absolutely go see someone, if for no other reason than to talk to someone about the issues and get them out without stressing the relationship. Sometimes, even when you are an expert on a topic, you still need to bounce ideas off someone else.

There's obviously some reason for the insecurity, and whether you know what that reason is or not, until you face it and deal with it, it's going to cause problems in your relationship. Put it this way, it can't hurt!

I agree.
    I also went through a period in my life that I couldn't just let go of things and cried and got mad over the smallest things.

I wish I would have had the ability to see a counselor, because it did put stress on my relationship. I began journaling and that helped, a lot, to get the things off my mind and on paper.

If you can, getting help will help you deal with your problems in a far more productive way.

:flowerforyou:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I am the type of person where if someone says something to me that would be slightly negative about me, it will knock around in my head for days and become a giant ordeal in my head. Even if it's something trivial that if it was said to anytone else it would just roll off their shoulders...it got to the point where I had to go see someone about it and it was the best decision. Like Banks said, it can't hurt! :flowerforyou:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Although your education is in psychology.. maybe it's like the mechanic's car or the showmaker's children. Yo can fix others but not yourself.

I have a friend who is a holistic nutrtionist and she needed somebody else to tell her what to do when she was having some health issues.

Go talk to somebody... sometimes it only takes one session to tighten the loose screws!
  • MADJ
    MADJ Posts: 4
    Options
    I've been where you are when I was in my late 20's. the best thing you can do for your self to help with the insecurities is to "do for yourself". yep thats right. take care of yourself first. then take care of others. spend some time by yourself. go see a movie by yourself. go shopping and buy yourself something. join a ladies group. whatever it is you need to get to know yourself and feel confident about who you are. once you feel great about who you are those little insecurities go away and so do the trust issues. in the mean time keep your suspicions/worries to your self, your boyfriend doesn't need to be bogged down by unnecessary worries. eventuall you will be laughing to yourself about foolish worries.
    good luck, keep your head up, and treat yourself right. its all good.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I don't have a degree is physchology (sociology) but I have taken several classes and I consider myself to be good at reading people. So I can pretty easily spot other people's issues, but have a heck of a time figuring out my own.

In fact, most therapists are encouraged and sometimes even required to see a therapist themselves, so don't be afraid to ask for help. In my experience with therapy, even if the therapist doesn't say or do a lot to help, sometimes just having someone to talk to without feeling like your burdoning your friends can be a huge help. Also the feeling of someone understanding what your going through makes you feel less alone in your problem, so I absolutely think you should give it a shot.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Take it from a girl in therapy --- IT IS A WONDERFUL THING TO HAVE AN "EDUCATED FRIEND" TO TALK TO. My therapist gives me the same advice I would (and do) give my girlfriends, but somehow can't seem to give myself. She does point out the fine points I have overlooked within my own issues. (I have a lot of guilt issues and tend to get hung up on the smaller things.)

Another way to look at this (which was pointed out before) -- a medical doctor wouldn't handle his own medical treatment for a disease. He'd seek out the care of another trusted professional, and while their discussions and choices would be increasingly influenced by his own background, he'd utilize the care of the other physician.

Go try it. A couple sessions can't hurt. (Plan on a minimum of 3-5 sessions, I'd say, to see what you think of it.):flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Okay so I have a question unrelated to weight loss. I've recently realized that I get really upset about stupid little things, like really upset about things that aren't a big deal at all. This isn't something new but it's something I've been trying to control lately with limited success.
    Thanks for any input!

OK, my two cents here are this question is really, really related to weight loss. I used to stuff all my emotions down literally (with Pie!) and never learned how to express them. Once I removed food as a mechanism to do this, I now run on a very, very short fuse, but I'm working on it.

I'm not a psychology individual, but have been in enough CBT to know "where they're going with it". I find that once I found someone who I actually told this to, they were pretty good at not letting me do it. I'm what you call a "resistant patient" if I'm getting the terminology correct. Don't be afraid to try a few people out until you see that you're working well with someone.:flowerforyou: