"Why are you limping?" I got the gout.

Options
So I've been busting my butt for the last six weeks to turn my life around and get healthy. I've done a complete 180 degree turn in the way that I eat and I work out every day. I woke up one morning last week with a moderate pain in my left foot. I was in the military for several years and my attitude was "SUCK IT UP AND WALK IT OFF, SOLDIER!!!" I did my normal 30 minute workout and pushed through the pain. The next morning I woke up and could hardly walk.

I made an appointment with my doctor and saw him that day. He said I have gout. If you're not familiar with it, here's a link: http://arthritis.webmd.com/tc/gout-topic-overview. I couldn't believe it. He said it's from eating too much meat. If this had happened two months ago, then I'd agree with him because I was like a damn T-Rex when it came to eating meat. Now I'm eating salads (sometimes with grilled chicken) and I rarely eat red meat anymore. He also said it could be a result of my recent weight loss (nearly 30lbs). He prescribed some anti-inflamatory meds and sent me on my way. It's now day 5 and let me tell you, this is not something you ever want to experience. After talking with my doctor some more, I mentioned to him that I drink a 5-hour Energy shot every morning before I work out and he said that it can contribute to gout attacks. He also has me on a mild blood pressure medication that has a diuretic which can also trigger gout attacks. He changed my prescription to a bp med without the diuretic and I no longer use the energy drinks. I really hope that this knocks it out and prevents future attacks.

I've been doing so good with my change in eating habits and working out. I haven't been able to work out in five days and it's killing me. It's a real bummer and I'm just trying to stay positive. I'm not giving up, though. As soon as I can walk normal on this foot, then it's right back to the business.

Has anyone else out there suffered with gout? Here's that link again: http://arthritis.webmd.com/tc/gout-topic-overview

Replies

• momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I did years ago, it wasn't fun. My doc said to drink lots and lots of water too. It took a few long months but it did eventually go away and its never come back.
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Cherry juice lower your uric acid levels. It lower his levels but now he refuses to even look a a cherry.

http://gouttreatmentsite.org/cherry-juice-for-gout-treatment/
  • Masachapa
    Masachapa Posts: 79
    Options
    You are experiencing a temporary increase in your uric acid levels due to your weight loss. It will subside in a few days and will very likely not return if you continue your lifestyle change. As a former gout sufferer, I feel for you!!
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I had been a gout sufferer for years and have not had a flare up since I started with my new lifestyle diet- which includes a lot of meat and vegetables.

I got a lot better after seeing a chiropractor... no more heartburn, gout, migranes- all gone! Running has felt really good and I have noticed my calcium buildup on my big toes is reducing a but since I've started.

I never liked the podiatrist version of what I should do and my General Practitioner wasn't much better- the Chiropractor made a world of difference!
  • row_rivers
    row_rivers Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    hi,

i worked with a rheumatologist for about 9 months and he, also a victim of gout, has compared his pain to giving birth but for men. my dad has gout too and i've seen some really tough men cry from the pain.

weight loss and clean eating helps in the long run. the rheumatologist also suggests shaved ice in a baggie to cool the area. it helps a lot with the pain (when you experience it).

i'm glad you want to continue to lose weight. don't give up =). all this is is an obstacle. i suggest you do some swimming, to take some pressure off of your joints while exercising. but don't go in the hot tub. again, trying to keep the affected area as cool as possible is the best. another problem with swimming is that it also makes people hungry...so keep an eye out for that.

take care, i hope that everything will go well for you.
  • optimumchill
    Options
    Had a severe case back in January...crippled me for a 2 weeks...eat a few bowls of cereal (w/ 2% milk)...the milk will help offset the uric acid...I run into trouble when I eat too much shrimp or turkey or alcoholic beverages.
  • violetfleuri
    violetfleuri Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Also try cranberry supplements. My boyfriend takes these to keep gout from coming back.
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has gout. He has a very very bad case of it. As in, his right has is no longer functioning and a couple months ago the skin split from being pulled so tight. Same with his left knee. Its also in his feet and in his hips. He is seriously the nicest person you will ever meet. Some days are better than others for him. Some days he's stuck in a wheel chair in so much pain, others he walks with a slight limp. You can come to him and bi*ch about having a hangnail (no joke, ANYTHING!) and he will do anything he can to make you better. It amazes me.

I feel for anyone who has gout. I really hope your doctor can treat it and make it go away!
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Try upping the omega 3's and reducing the omega 6's.
    I don't know why uric acid is up, but if there is any way to eliminate the condition without Big Pharma, please seek it out.
    Gout appears to be another system inflammation. Anything you can do with your diet to reduce inflammation should surely help.
    Good luck and get well.
  • Fairlady1964
    Fairlady1964 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had gout also, and it's something I never want to have again! My doctor felt it was triggered by taking the same BP medication for over 10 years.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I have it, and yes it is very painful- and my husband has it too, he has a worse case than mine. It has been better for the last few years. For me, stress, drinking alcohol, fatty foods and organ meat is bad for gout - and can bring on an onset. I love foie gras and I still eat it - but when I do I will be on the 'watch'.

I take Colchine when I feel a tingling, or the coming of an on-set and it works (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colchicine), this treatment is is brutal but again it does it job! There is another drug, called Allupurinal that is preventative, but I don't take that.
  • slayerwatcher
    slayerwatcher Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouraging words and advice. A coworker also mentioned the cherry extract pills. I may have to make a trip over to GNC to check that out. Those of you who have experienced gout know how much it hurts. Those who haven't, then I can describe it as feeling like shards of glass in my joints.

And you're right, this is just a small speed bump. I can't wait to get back into my workout routine. Each day the pain lessens, so I'm on the road to Wellville. Thanks again, for everything y'all.

Glenn-
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    My Father-in-law has gout. The doctor said to avoid the broccoli family, as it triggers the gout. It's a bummer for now, but your new lifestyle will be good for the long rn.
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Slayerwatcher,
    My husband suffers from gout from time to time (once a year, sometimes twice) -- he is just getting over his last bout of it. The first time he ever got it (perhaps 10 years ago), he went to a doctor, who prescribed him prednisone. It went away quickly, and the next two or three times he got his prednisone again, and each time it was less effective. I'm big into natural medicine, so I did a ton of research, and we've tried various remedies. The last two times he got it, the following worked INCREDIBLY well, and he improved greatly within 2 days.

** Tart cherry juice -- organic is best. It's somewhat expensive, but cheaper than a doctor's visit and a prescription! We keep a sealed bottle in the pantry at all times, just in case, so we can nip the gout in the bud from the very beginning.
    ** Bilberry -- you can get it in capsule form, or tincture.
    ** Celery -- eat as much raw celery as you want / can stand.
    ** Fennel Seed -- chew a few seeds at a time. Kind of sweet / licorice flavor?
    ** Cinnamon or hot peppers (cayenne, jalapeño, whatever you like)

As other posters have stated, getting rid of the uric acid is the key. Flush with lots of water, and increase circulation.

My husband finds that the thing that brings it on most quickly are when he overdoes it with sugar and processed foods, and meats containing nitrates. Also, alcohol can be a culprit.

Hope you find some of this helpful. My heart goes out to you!
  • slayerwatcher
    Options
    I just went to GNC on my lunch break and bought a bottle of organic tart cherry juice concentrate. I already mixed it with some water and drank the whole bottle (of water). I'll probably have another serving with dinner or before bed and then again in the morning. It seems the general consensus is the cherry juice. I've been told by many people already that it's an effective home remedy. Thanks again everyone.

Glenn-
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I just went to GNC on my lunch break and bought a bottle of organic tart cherry juice concentrate. I already mixed it with some water and drank the whole bottle (of water). I'll probably have another serving with dinner or before bed and then again in the morning. It seems the general consensus is the cherry juice. I've been told by many people already that it's an effective home remedy. Thanks again everyone.

Glenn-

Let us know if the tart cherry juice helps you. I'm betting it does!
  • slayerwatcher
    Options
    Hey y'all...I did the tart cherry juice thing. I don't know if it actually worked or if it was just coincidental because the gout just ran its course, but it's pretty much gone. There's still a slight discomfort if I stand up on my tip toes, but for the most part it's gone. I feel so much better. That was the worst experience...well, next to getting food poisoning. I did, however, order some cherry extract pills online this weekend to have in the cabinet just in case I feel a flare up coming on. Thanks everyone, for your suggestions and encouragement.

Glenn-
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I also occasionally get gouty, but since I've started losing the weight it's been more infrequent. The tart cherry juice always seemed to help me. Looking at the foods that you're supposed to avoid turkey was the biggest problem for me.
  • nalla3233
    Options
    I am currently at the tail end of my bout with gout. Had one 6 months ago due to I think too much steak and lamb. It sucks because I workout a lot and it sidelined me for than a week. I remember I drank a lots of water and tart cherry. Never took OTCs and didn't go to the doctor. My current flare up is due again to steak and lamb. I know, I should've learned from the last attack. Anyway, my approach this time is to juice up a lot of anti-inflammatory vegetables and fruits. Tons of celery, cilantro, cucumber, some ginger, and a little bit of apples and oranges. For me it's a big difference. I can almost feel it changing overnight. I also ice it 2 or 3 times a day. For now I eat a lot of chicken and fish, particularly sardines. Hope this helps.