Walking is key!

Options
When I first started myfitnesspal... I walked three to four times a week for an hour. This was key to my weight loss. I know some people feel they need to kill themselves at the gym, however I found it helpful not to overwhelm myself with exercise that I wouldn't complete. I started gradual and worked myself back up to doing more intense aerobics. Start small and don't put unrealistic goals at the beginning. You will be amazed at how something so simple as walking will make a difference.

Replies

• bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I just realized this today too! I am not using it as my only exercise but I am making sure that I am walking to the store and taking a nice walk everyday. When I was my thinnest I walked everyday :)
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I lost 45 pounds and all I did was walk - 45 minutes 5 days a week. Well... I changed how I ate but still was around 1800 calories a day. I love walking!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    You're so kind to share a simple yet amazing tip! I know I was one of the folks who was killing himself in the gym (2500+ calories burned in a day) and then I just CRASHED. Now I'm working towards small workouts which I think I can do for the rest of the life.

Cheers on your successful weight loss :)
  • him1025
    him1025 Posts: 44
    Options
    im guilty of pushing to hard to fast. ive slowed down this week but i dont feel like im losing anything. its hard to resist the temptaion to walk longer and harder.
  • monkeygirl351
    Options
    That's what I'm doing. I started off a little too enthusiastically and started running on the treadmill, cause that is what I did in the past to lose weight. Well long story short, my knees can't take the pounding, so doc said no running. I was sidelined for about two weeks with mild patellar tendonitis. I've started up with fast walking on the treadmill and using incline instead. I'm also taking my dog for 2 mile walks in the afternoon. I'm doing much better and burning a good amount of calories without killing my knees in the end.
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I agree! I started walking nearly every day about one year ago. I didn't change my diet a whole lot until months later, but I still lost 10 pounds in the first few months. When I stopped losing, I stepped it up to running and tracking my calories. Since January, I have lost 10 more pounds. If I wouldn't have started slow with walking, I don't think that I would have been able to build up the endurance. I'm pretty happy with the improvement in my fitness levels that I'm starting to notice.
  • speakingtall
    Options
    I've been pleasantly surprised at how walking has helped so much. I usually go for a walk 3 x a week during my 30 minute lunch break. The boyfriend and I will also try to walk after dinner--helps us unwind for the day and digest food.
  • southernsweetie1978
    southernsweetie1978 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have been using Leslie Sansone Four Fast Miles "Walk At Home" programs. I feel like I am getting a major workout and I'm not paying for a gym membership!
  • BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    Options
    I lost 15 lbs last summer simply by walking twice a day (total of 6 miles) So Yes, it does work :D
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting your experience! I am hoping it will help me too, since I really can't run until my sciatic nerve and lower back problems resolve (if ever). As a past runner, walking has been really frustrating for me; I don't feel like I'm getting a real workout. So glad to read of your success!
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm down 43 pounds since January 7th and my primary forms of exercise are walking and Leslie Sansone dvds. Walking totally works!!:flowerforyou:
  • mj852012
    mj852012 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I first started myfitnesspal... I walked three to four times a week for an hour. This was key to my weight loss. I know some people feel they need to kill themselves at the gym, however I found it helpful not to overwhelm myself with exercise that I wouldn't complete. I started gradual and worked myself back up to doing more intense aerobics. Start small and don't put unrealistic goals at the beginning. You will be amazed at how something so simple as walking will make a difference.
  • kkej1
    kkej1 Posts: 5
    Options
    I agree.
  • soniams
    soniams Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Count me with those who have been successful in losing weight by walking. I started two years ago and huffed and puffed walking one block and back. Now I walk three miles a day. I have also walked on three half marathons. Walking is great exercise that I know I will continue to do for the remainder of my life.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I lost faster when I use to walk alot, but I was not getting toned like I wanted to.
  • islandgirl1984
    islandgirl1984 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    SO true! I lost a lot of weight after I had my first daughter by simply walking a little every day and watching my diet. Every little bit helps and it's important to set small and realistic goals and work towards a greater goal in the end.
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have to agree 100%. I walked around the track an hour at a time all winter long. I even picked up the pace and started running a too. I think it's called wogging! :laugh:
  • loseweightjames
    Options

really?? welll.... alright, tomorrow i'll spend vampire diaries on the treadmill.....
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Maybe walking is just what I need to get my weight to drop. I do so much cardio like running, jazzercise and kickboxing and havent seen any weightloss in a long time, even though I still eat right. I'll give this strategy a try! :flowerforyou:
  • Pink_Tina
    Pink_Tina Posts: 164
    Options
    Oh, I love this thread! I just joined MFP Sunday, but I've been watching what I eat and walking 4 times a week since April 30th. Lost 4 pounds already just by doing that. And this from a shut-in who never really left the house for the past 9 years. I can do 5 miles a day now. Woooo!