Real food friends needed!

Options
herwitsend
herwitsend Posts: 42 Member
I am so tired of clicking on friends to see what they are eating and it is all chemically laden processed crap! Anyone losing weight with real food?

By real food I mean Nourishing Traditions, Nourished Kitchen type foods. Homegrown vegetables, game or humanely raised meats.

Replies

• juliekin
    juliekin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Well, I use little processed (I use the food equivalents to guess, so you'll see some brands) and make 95% from scratch. The garden isn't fully in yet, so I have less homegrown than I'd like. Just hooked up with someone to get fresh eggs, and have tried to buy hormone-free or quarter of animals. I might be a little bit too processed for you, but feel free to add me!
  • coleen_d_b
    coleen_d_b Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can't believe I found this on my second day here. :love:

My family eats a Nourishing Traditions lifestyle, but I manage to sneak enough crap into my own diet to do a lot of damage. Trying to get back to practicing what I preach again, and skipping the drive thru when I'm without my kids.

We drink raw milk, eat farm fresh eggs, and currently have 1/4 of a cow and 1/2 a pig in our chest freezer. I wish I could get free range chicken in bulk cheaply somewhere. I also got a Blendtec this past Christmas and try to have at least one green smoothie a day. On good days I manage to remember to set up my brown rice in the morning to soak. Brown rice soaked in whey all day is yummy!

I know how I'd *like* to eat, just working on getting back to it.
  • Flygirl214
    Flygirl214 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I prefer raw foods. Sometimes I'll grab a can of chili, but I eat a lot of chicken, fish, veggies and the like. Add me if you like.
  • kellestandley
    Options
    Hello,
    we eat mostly organic veggies, , wild caught fish, some chicken, Quiona, and occationally fresh organic eggs. I cook a lot and we use our steamer for everything now. It's so easy and the food is clean and we find we don't need a lot of sauces or seasoning. Just the good taste of the good food. Having said that, we do use lots of garlic from the garden, Good, organic, extra virgin olive oil, and for a splurge we have Greek yogurt :~) We are also trying to have a low sodium diet so we don't add any salt to foods in general. So many things have sodium naturally though. Add me if you like. I'm new here and have lost 12 pounds in about two months I think.
  • kellestandley
    Options
    I also use the food equivilants so you will see brands sometimesor sometimes it comes up as 'generic' but it's always organic that we're eating .
    We have been finding a lot of delicious recipies on the diabetic living site. We are not diabetic, but they are generlly simple, low cal, low sodium and with just a little moderation can be adjusted to all fresh , organics and the cal count does not suffer!! I don't always logg everything as throuroughly as I could because it takes a lot of time...
  • moongreentea
    Options
    I just posted this topic in Food and Nutrition: Real Whole Foods. I hear ya...looking for others with similar whole foods diets. 90 days on here, just 6 pounds lost, but went down a size in jeans and my body is firmer and smaller ;) Add me to your friend list!
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I too prefer whole foods, fresh veggies, dairy, nuts, lean meats. The less processed the better. I have succumbed to the "protein shake" a bit reluctantly b/c I have been struggling to get enough protein in my diet. Otherwise, I try to keep it as clean and whole foods based as I can. I suspect you would like my workout program's statement. "Eat less CRAP (Carbonated drinks, Refined sugars, Artificial sweeteners and colors, Processed foods). Eat more FOOD (fruits and veggies, organic lean protein, omega 3 fatty acids, Drink water). Feel free to add me as a "friend"!
  • Bellydance
    Bellydance Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary. I rarely eat anything processed or premade. Add me if you like. I'm jealous of people who eat candy and mayonnaise and bread, but I don't like the way I feel when I eat that way. :)
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I eat Fun Dip and Wine. I guess we cannot be friends.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I :heart: real food! :happy:

The only thing I haven't totally let go of yet is creamer for my coffee...but I'm workin' on it!
  • rblevins01
    rblevins01 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just got the Sonoma Diet Cookbook and love how natural California it is. It is exactly how I like to eat. It focuses on quality of food and herbs and spices.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I try. My food log is open... You can have a look.

I'm not a protein shake or weight loss shake guzzler, that's for sure and no energy drinks or protein bars either.
  • KellyMirth
    KellyMirth Posts: 153
    Options
    We're working towards it in our household. Still not there but getting better. We've just started ordering our pork/beef from a local ranch that is free range/grass fed. They only butcher once a month so we're waiting for the beef to arrive next week. All of our eggs are from our own flock (that is currently residing at my parent's property because our neighbors complained.) We have our own citrus tress (orange, grapefruit, lemon) and are waiting for the blackberries, blueberries, raspberries & grapes to start producing. We also have raised beds that so far are only producing cherry tomatoes (but should eventually give us cantaloup, cucumbers, strawberries, beans, peas & watermelon.) I have started shopping at farmer's markets as well. Having said all of that, I still eat out at restaurants and I still eat processed foods, but you can add me if you can look past my Dannon greek yogurt:wink: .
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Looks like we have alot in common. Currently well into the "clean up my act, total transformation journey". Add me if you like. :smile:
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I :heart: real food! :happy:

The only thing I haven't totally let go of yet is creamer for my coffee...but I'm workin' on it!

I freeze 2 T of half and half and add that to my coffee as an occasional treat. Also, try Teavana's german rock sugar. I just throw a teaspoon into my coffee cup in the mornings. 25 calories and lightly sweet. Much healthier than those packaged "creamers" although I have been known to use them on occasion for a special treat.
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Yep...sending friend request.
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that their are others on here that understand! The thing that makes me sad is that our society is trained to believe that loosing weight is all about counting calories or cutting carbs. I personally do not eat any processed food, eat mainly organic veggies, qunioa, legumes, and whole grains. I would say that about 70-80% of my diet is from leafy greens. I decided to give up processed food last year and truly started to teach myself to eat because I was so sick of diets. In the process I have gained a huge passion for healing the body with food.

Again thank you for posting! I am always looking for friends that think the same way
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I just got the Sonoma Diet Cookbook and love how natural California it is. It is exactly how I like to eat. It focuses on quality of food and herbs and spices.

I liked that book. I generally eat around 80% unprocessed. I go out pretty frequently, but many of the choices nearby are seasonal/local and I go to those most frequently.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    add me. i only, and i mean only, use natural or organic products. i also work whole foods market so its very convenient. i have a garden, because of the weather its not looking to promising, haha, but only eat those foods. anybody can look at my diary and they can get ideas.
  • Zisaleh
    Zisaleh Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I eat whole foods...real food! Looking for MFP friends too!