My Story.

Options
Hi everyone! I am 15 years old. My name is Nick. And I weigh 263 pounds. And it's time for a change. I was on myfitnesspal once before and that was when i weighed around 230. I lost about 15 pounds then school started again... And I gained it all back plus 30 more. I want to try this again. I want to be normal. I don't want to live like this anymore. I've signed up once more and I've already lost 10 pounds! I am hoping that this summer, before school starts again, I can turn my life around, and keep it that way. If anyone wants to friend me, I could really use the support and motivation. Thanks Again Everyone!

Replies

• led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    Good for you!! Work hard over the summer and I promise you will achieve your goals.
  • mimiislosingit
    mimiislosingit Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You can do it, Nick! Don't give up on YOU!!:smile:
  • jillian769
    jillian769 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    That's awesome Nick! You can definitely do it!!!!!!!!
  • n5vox
    n5vox Posts: 4
    Options
    Good for you!!! Today is my first day back here as well - I tried once before - it was just not the right time for me- this time it is going to work! Being overweight is hard - being overweight and 15 is even harder. Just stick to realistic goals and no matter what happens day to day - try to remember these will be life changes you make now - they can pave the way for a healthy lifestyle so you wont be doing this when you are old like me. :laugh: Hang out with friends that will support you and help you. Don't worry about the kids that are hard on you - they are just trying to make up for some flaw they have. You took the hardest step - you admitted you needed a change and you are doing something about it! GOOD FOR YOU !!
  • jackibailey
    jackibailey Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hi Nick! My name is Jacki. I have a son who is 15 years old. Last year he and I started MFP together. He weighed almost 280 pounds. My son has been very successful with his weight loss. He is now down to 230. He looks very slim now because he also went through a growth spurt at the same time he was losing. He's now 6'1". I'll bet you will hit a growth spurt over the summer too. I think the secret to my sons success was that he learned about portion size. We measure everything we eat. Well, I still measure. He can serve himself the right amount of food by eyeballing it now. He also cut way back on his snacking. At first his snacks were very scheduled. His favorite snack was a pure protein bar every afternoon. It was like a candy bar substitution. He also takes his lunch to school every day. That way he can control his portion sizes and eat healthy food. School lunch is not low calorie or very nutritious. Not here anyway. He has maintained his weight for months now without even really trying anymore. It's become natural to him. It will for you too. You're young enough that teaching yourself good eating habits now will last you a lifetime. All I know is this is something he wanted to do for himself and he stuck to it. I know you can too. I'm very proud of you for coming back and giving this another try. If you want to add me as a friend, please do. I would love to see your progress and success. I know you can do it. Good luck hon. Jacki
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Mmmporkrinds Posts: 192
    Options
    Hey there, you've taken a great step forward! This site is very supportive so you'll get the encouragement you need. All the best!
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Hi Nick, you have just taken on of the greatest steps in your life, to lose the weight you need to lose. I commend you for wanting to do this and if you would like to add me I will support you all the way!!
  • Kay2405
    Kay2405 Posts: 54
    Options
    Hi Nick! Feel free to add me for some extra motivation and support. I'm on here every day. :)
  • DocMarr
    DocMarr Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi Nick! My name is Jacki. I have a son who is 15 years old. Last year he and I started MFP together. He weighed almost 280 pounds. My son has been very successful with his weight loss. He is now down to 230. He looks very slim now because he also went through a growth spurt at the same time he was losing. He's now 6'1". I'll bet you will hit a growth spurt over the summer too. I think the secret to my sons success was that he learned about portion size. We measure everything we eat. Well, I still measure. He can serve himself the right amount of food by eyeballing it now. He also cut way back on his snacking. At first his snacks were very scheduled. His favorite snack was a pure protein bar every afternoon. It was like a candy bar substitution. He also takes his lunch to school every day. That way he can control his portion sizes and eat healthy food. School lunch is not low calorie or very nutritious. Not here anyway. He has maintained his weight for months now without even really trying anymore. It's become natural to him. It will for you too. You're young enough that teaching yourself good eating habits now will last you a lifetime. All I know is this is something he wanted to do for himself and he stuck to it. I know you can too. I'm very proud of you for coming back and giving this another try. If you want to add me as a friend, please do. I would love to see your progress and success. I know you can do it. Good luck hon. Jacki

^^ This is all very good advice. The way to succeed is to look on this as a journey to becoming a 'healthy eater' and not a 'diet'. If you 'diet', then the diet usually ends when you reach your goal - and the more restrictive you have been on your diet, the more likely you are to regain the weight. I know you'll maybe feel like you want to be slim like by tomorrow - but I cannot stress strongly enough to do it SLOWLY and gradually, and use the time to retrain your eating habits like Jacki's son. I spent 14 years yoyo dieting and it wasn't until I stopped dieting and got off that treadmill that I actually stabilised. So try not to see this as a short-term loss over summer and after that you'll be slim and can eat what you like. This is the first step on a journey to the new healthier you - This is a time when you can re-educate yourself to have a healthy relationship with food, which will last the rest of your life. If you don't eat them already, learn to like fruit and vegetables! LOL!

Good luck on your journey!