food and traveling

Options
dlpnrn2b
dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
We are about to take a trip that with the kids takes about 4-5 days driving and stopping. I really do not want to undo what I have worked so hard for this year. So I have hotels booked that have at least a treadmill in the fitness room , I refuse to eat the drive through stuff so please give me some healthy suggestions on the good foods so I don't have to constantly look for a grocery store along the interstate. ? I plan to get some fresh veggies that I can just wash , peel and eat. but I need protein ideas mostly

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,116 Member
    Options
    Protein powder travels great. Mix with water or milk or almond milk.

Hard boiled eggs.

Canned tuna or chicken.

Beef jerky if you can stomach the salt.

Peanut butter and veggies or apples.

String cheese.
  • dlpnrn2b
    Options
    thank you.. great ideas and small enough for cooler :) I usually use Jillian MIchae'ls Whey protein after my workouts but are there any other suggested brands that taste ok but not loaded with a lot of sugar?
  • teeens77
    teeens77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Protein bars are easy and a good snack food. My favorite is Nature Valley; just throw a pack or two into the car. Only problem is their high in calories but they're filling so you shouldn't need to eat for awhile.
    My family used to always through sandwich and salad materials in a cooler. That should help reduce the number of times you eat out too.
  • jinglett
    jinglett Posts: 69
    Options
    First, our family loves to share Subway sandwiches along the way--we split the 5.00 choices and drink our own beverage & add an apple, chips or veges depending on the family member. You can clean your own veges ahead of time or purchase baby carrots or already cut up produce in advance. I personally love salads in a bag for myself when we travel or I pack some pre-made meals that can be heated in a microwave (if they are frozen they double as ice). Pack extra ziplock bags! Usually, that is a requirement for our family. My kids love the novelty of banquet frozen meals when we travel and they require no extra cookware--there are many frozen healthy choices for you. As for protein--canned albacore tuna or chicken keep well and can be eaten as a sandwhich or on a salad or with veges. High fiber bread and deli meat work well too. Our family makes use of the rest areas along the way to add steps on the pedometer and to eat a meal. Many gas stations have healthy choices these days too. We are a family of 6 and during the school year we have an exchange student. Traveling and eating healthy isn't difficult--just need to plan ahead, be creative and have the attitude that it is possible to be successful. I personally love to check out the "exercise room" at hotels. It's some quiet time for me.
  • saihtnyc
    saihtnyc Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    When I've done road trips I try to pack peanut butter sandwiches or something else that is easy to eat while driving and filling. Other great snacks - i cut up apples and have them in a baggie, or carrots, almonds, etc. since I like to have things to munch on during a road trip. Also, I like to have a mix of fruit that is all sliced up so it's not an entire bag of just apples.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My approach in the worst case scenario is: salad salad salad. That's the safest. If not that: meat meat meat. It aint pretty, but it's sometimes the best you can do. That said: avoid the worst case scenario. I've been all over the world, in the worst diet scenarios. So my "worst" is pretty bad lol.
  • lucky2too
    lucky2too Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    you can also pick up rotisserie chicken from grocery store with fruit and almond butter
    apples
    Chipotle-salad with double meat, double guac!
    waffle house - eggs and sausage
    Tom Toms Turkey Snack Stix from Whole Foods
  • MaryRegs
    MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I wandered DisneyWorld AND used the Disney dining plan at the beginning of April-which was a mere two weeks into my program. You can do it-it really comes down to making the right food choices and making the time to exercise...which in my case was lots of walking. Enjoy your trip!
  • dlpnrn2b
    Options
    THANK YOU , everyone.. I feel better now getting awesome ideas from all of you :) It seems simple to me now, I guess I was just stressed with packing and everything else, my brain was not thinking.. lol again thank you all for the wonderful ideas :)
  • grvideen
    grvideen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I travel every week Mon-Thurs, and believe me it can be a challenge to find healthy choices at restaurants. My easiest tip is to always order sauces on the side.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    If you are stopping at a restaurant, I like Panera because they post the calorie content of all of their meals right there on the menu.

For take along snacks:
    Almonds
    Trail mix (I like to make my own w/ almonds, raisins and tiny semi-sweet choc chips
    Hummus and veggies
    Fresh fruit

I also love Blue Diamond almond rice crackers with cheese and apple slices. Take a package of sliced cheese, a few apples and a box of crackers along with a knife and cut it up on a plate at the rest stop.