HRM: silly, quick question

Options
KF1216
KF1216 Posts: 175 Member
If my HRM says I burned 500 calories during 60 minutes of Zumba should I subtract 60 calories since I would have burned 60 calories in 60 minutes from just laying on the couch?

Replies

• FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Huh?:huh:
  • KF1216
    Options
    Huh?:huh:

you know...if I was just laying around I burn one calorie per minute. So I really only burned 440 EXTRA (additional) calories, right?
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    How did you arrive at 1 calorie per minute? I've read you take your bmr divided by 24 to get your per hour burn doing nothing. I think some other sites even do it automatically for you. Its referred to as a net burn. I don't do it myself, because I don't eat back all my exercise calories anyways, but I do think it would be a good practice.
  • KF1216
    Options
    How did you arrive at 1 calorie per minute? I've read you take your bmr divided by 24 to get your per hour burn doing nothing. I think some other sites even do it automatically for you. Its referred to as a net burn. I don't do it myself, because I don't eat back all my exercise calories anyways, but I do think it would be a good practice.

hmm...I dunno. I guess I just had it in my head, is that not right? LOL...
  • embclark
    embclark Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I asked this a while back, but only got responses stating that I was over thinking, basically... But I eat back whatever the HRM states because I have myself set at sedentary lifestyle, but I don't really sit all day. I have a two year old, so we sit and play, but the I need to keep track of her as well! :-). I figure there are enough times throughout my day that I can feel my heartrate getting up there, but I don't have the HRM on, so I'm not eating all those calories back... HTH!
  • KF1216
    Options
    I asked this a while back, but only got responses stating that I was over thinking, basically... But I eat back whatever the HRM states because I have myself set at sedentary lifestyle, but I don't really sit all day. I have a two year old, so we sit and play, but the I need to keep track of her as well! :-). I figure there are enough times throughout my day that I can feel my heartrate getting up there, but I don't have the HRM on, so I'm not eating all those calories back... HTH!

yes, very helpul!! I think I will go ahead and give myself the 500 cals then - I didn't eat them all anyway (and am going to be now) but they may help me later in the week to balance things out. Thanks!