What's wrong with me?! Losing motivation, not weight!

Options
I don't know what to do! Any advice would be appreciated!
I started off a few months ago at 158 lbs (I am only 5'2). I lost 5 lbs just by using MFP, then stopped losing. Three weeks ago, my mom, husband and myself joined this 8 week challenge through a local nutritionist and gym. The focus is on clean eating and exercise for 8 weeks - we can have NO added sugars (only natural occuring, fruit sweeteners like applesauce, and only 2 fruits a day), no white or enriched flour or wheat gluten (spelt and kamut ok), no hydrogenated oil, no artificial sweetners, no alcohol, no coffee, red meat only once a week, and very limited dairy (limited to riccotta, plain yogurt, goat or feta cheese, once a day).

The food prep is a lot of work, since there are very few packaged foods we can eat. I lost 5 lbs in the first week in a half and was down from 152.6 to 146.8 and was thrilled. Then the second week, I ramped up my exercise. I do intense, higher impact Zumba twice a week (I'm the instructor, so I always give it my all), I run 5K once or twice a week, so I added heavier weight training 3X a week for about 40 minutes. When I say heavier, I am lifting about 12-15 lbs for my upper body (per arm) and 30-38 lbs for lower body (total), 8 reps per set.

My problem is, I haven't lost anything in 1.5 weeks, since those first five lbs. Worse, I weighed myself today and I weighed more than I did 1.5 weeks ago - I was up to 148.8!!! I don't get it! I haven't cheated AT ALL on this diet program. My husband has lost 14 lbs! I even tried tracking my calories a couple days through MFP and I'm around 1200 calories which I think is about as low as I can handle. I just feel like I should be seeing better results for such an extreme change in my diet!

Could it be the weight training? Should I cut it out and do more cardio? I don't have unrealistic goals - I am 35 and have had two kids, so I'd be really happy to get to 135-140 lbs, which I think is totally realistic for my height. Is there something wrong with my body that might be preventing me from losing weight? Seriously, beyond starving myself, I don't know what else to do and I've been working so hard....I want to cry.

Replies

• jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    The weight training may be the reason you show an increase on the scale, but don't stop doing it. Here's why: anytime you begin a new routine, your muscles take up glycogen and water. This is fuel for further activities. It is temporary! As your body adjusts to your new workout, it will release the water, and you will see a nice drop on the scale.

The best thing to do is take pics and measurements, and hide the scale for a month or more. You are on the right track, and doing great...please don't let a little water-weight derail you. If you can put in all this effort for your food plan and activity, a little patience should be a snap!

BTW: Yeah, men can lose weight faster and easier than we can...it's a hormone thing. You will tend to lose slower as you get closer to your goal, but that is actually a good thing. It generally means you will be more able to keep it off.

And, the clean eating is a sure-fire route to success, but don't lower your caloric intake any further! You won't get adequate nutrition and your body will begin holding onto reserves rather than burning them.

Don't forget to take at least one rest day a week...your body really needs a little time to adapt to all the new demands on it.

One other caution: try to adopt some of the clean eating behaviors into your lifestyle; if you return to your old way of eating as soon as this challenge is over, you will return to your old size and shape, as well!

Best of luck, and don't overthink things. You're doing great!
  • tiffbou2
    tiffbou2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much jarrettd. We did get before pics and all our measurements taken, as well as a fitness test - we go next week at our 1/2 way point for a check in on our measurements - I'm hoping that will be the "real" test.

I definitely am going to incorporate a lot of the clean eating principles into my family's life. Even my kids' diets have changed to having way less sugar and packaged products than before, which I'm very happy about! I don't even really miss anything I'm cutting out other than the occasional glass of wine and the fact that I can't just pick up something quick at the store or call out for a pizza when I'm really pressed for time.
  • nourarakasa
    Options
    Jarrettd is spot on in her answer! Hang in there Tiff... you're doing great & sometimes it just doesn't move like we want it to. Also, I find the closer you get to your goal, the slower those last pounds go. Then, your body tends to just linger in it's "happy place" w/o too much effort - like it's where it's supposed to be. Keep on keeping on and the proof will be in the "pudding" so to speak. :) And remember, muscle weighs more than fat...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Can I also mention that losing 8 pounds in a few months or 1 pound a week for someone who is not OBESE is really good? Weight loss is not linear, thats for sure. And any additional weight you've gained from strength training is likely water weight. Which, hey, it happens. As others have said dont focus too much on the scale... try and take measurement, take your body fat %, etc. :)

Also, im not sure how much youre husband has to lose but youve lost 7% of your total body weight. :)
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Yes, Thanks Jarrettd. I am sorta in the same boat. I have been eating like a saint and recording EVERY bite. I have been working my butt off...I burned 10,556 last week and 5,370 the week before that. I lost only 7 lbs from my giant 298lbs which brought me down to 291. I wanted to break 290. But I look way firmer everywhere and things are too big now. Most importantly, I am getting healthier.

I am honestly recording everything and I am going to continue to do all my workouts so I can get the rest of this off. This is a lifestyle of healthy living not a diet. I won't' be a prisoner to the number.
  • tiffbou2
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses and pep talks, it really does help!
    I will hang in. :)
    My husband...ack...so frustrating. He lost all the weight he was aiming to lose in these recent three weeks. He was at 184 (his highest weight ever in his life - he is only 5'8) and is now down to his goal of 174. He is eating nearly twice the portion sizes I am as well!
  • virgo82676
    virgo82676 Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm not losing, I actually have gained a pound and I AM obese. I'm so sad that after Almost two weeks of eating better than I ever have and exercising that it still isn't working for me. Why bother is the way I feel right now....ugh!
  • dad040859
    dad040859 Posts: 66
    Options
    Virgo! You didn't gain your excess weight two weeks before you joined MFP, it took quite a while (as it did for all of us). Be patient and persistant. I may not be one to talk, I was at this for 2-3 months, only lost 9 pounds, then due to some family situations got away from it. But I'm back, more convinced than ever that slow and steady wins the race. Make lots of friends here, you'll do fine! Stay with it!
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I do not like getting on the scale anymore for this same reason.
  • ebuscher
    ebuscher Posts: 2
    Options
    I do weight training and cardio along with a gluten-free diet and I can tell you that it's normal for me, from time to time, to stay at the same weight or gain a little for 2-3 weeks and then all of the sudden drop 6-8 lbs in the next week. But looking at the broader timeline, I still loose a little over 2 lbs per week on average and that is staying consistent for me. You're doing everything right. Just be patient.
  • virgo82676
    virgo82676 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you...I needed to hear it badly!
  • tiffbou2
    Options
    Thanks again for all the replies. ebuscher, this happened for me! When I weighed and posted on Monday, my weight was up from 147.2 to 149. I stayed away from the scale all week, then stepped on this morning - down to 145.6!!! Even better, I am feeling much leaner and my arms and legs are getting a lot more solid from the weight training.

virgo, stick with it - it's gotta happen sometime for you!