Pins and Needles/ new socks?

Options
Hey guys

When I walk, run, or interval, I tend to get the tingles in my feet and it spreads up my legs. I've read that it could be a nerve issue and/or a circulation issue. I'm worried, so I will be making an appointment to see my doctor.

In the mean time, I'm going to try some stuff. I have Brooks Ravennas that are relatively new and they have arch supports in them because I pronate. I'm thinking that one of my issues may be my socks. I was wearing thick socks to run and they make my feet hot and uncomfortable. My toes bunch around the sock and the sock bunches up in my toes, riding down my heels. All bad things.

Can any of you runners who run in socks recommend a good pair of light weight, breathable, low -cut (ankle or below ankle) socks?

Replies

• Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem in my classes and it was deffo my socks....I have swapped to these back in December and LOOOVE them...

http://www.thorlo.com/socks/experia-socks/mini-crew/736.php
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Of course, I would still check with your doctor. I'm slightly flat footed so the socks were a factor in my pain. Thorlos has a TON of choices though.
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Get your blood glucose checked.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of SmartWool ankle socks that have a little ridge at the top of the ankle, so they don't slip into my sneakers. I forgot to wear them one day and my feet were soaked. I can't run without them anymore. LOVE them! They haven't ever bunched up on me either. I highly recommend them.
  • sundaykl
    sundaykl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Nike DriFit socks! They are lightweight, low cut and have a band around the arch for a bit of support. The best part...NO SEAMS anywhere around the toe area. I won't run without them anymore.
  • scubachick2287
    Options
    I had a similar problem with my toes going numb and when I told the chiropractor he pointed out that my shoes were too small. I had always worn an 8 but due to whatever reason I needed a bigger size. So, are your shoes too small? I would see a doctor and get your bp and glucose checked just to be safe. Good luck!
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Just a question - for those who suggested I get my blood glucose checked.

I'm not opposed to it, I just really don't know why. My first thought was that it could be the way I walk or run.

Could you explain why my glucose levels would contribute to this sensation of tingling/pins and needles that I get when I walk or run? I would think since I've lost 55lbs that would put me LESS at risk for stuff like diabetes.
  • scubachick2287
    Options
    I reccommend getting your glucose checked because it can be a sign of a complication of diabetes..neuropathy. It is great that you lost the weight but that doesn't mean you didn't already have glucose issues. The test is super easy and most can be done in the office.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I agree with the glucose checked to rule out medical issues. My next guess is that either your shoes are too small, so thiner socks may help or you have them laced up too tightly.

This happens to me but only when on the elliptical, if I loosen my laces it goes away....