Dining Out Doesn't Do You In??

LCBinGA
LCBinGA Posts: 102 Member
Dining out can really do anyone in, and AYCE buffets(of which I've heard BUFFET acronym Big Ugly Fat Folks Eating Together - keeps me away). But what U.S. restaurants - and dishes, do you find "Diet Approved" and then those that are "Diet Disasters"?

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Larger chain restaurants here in SoCal are required to list the calorie content on the menu. These are my favorite 2 for lunch:

Noodles and Company: The Med (330 calories) or Veggie Med sandwich, chicken noodle soup (150 cal)

Rubios: Sesame Soy FIsh Taco on corn tortilla; no wasabi cream (220)

Any other restaurant, I check the menu online first and make a best guess as to calories. Grilled fish, steamed veggies, grilled chicken or steak (depending on how many calories you want to spend).

Sometimes you just want a good burger. Plan 700-1000 calories and enjoy.

blessings.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    honestly? I'm not on a diet, so I can eat anything, pretty much, and anywhere.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Dining out doesn't have to do you in - look at the menus online for a few places, there are always healthy options out there..You just have to look closely and find them.

For example, if they offer up salmon with asparagus and veggies - go for that instead of a burger or even pasta. You could always ask for your meal to be bagged and brought home and only eat half there or something; and if you like salads, ask for salad on the side and ask if they have healthy, oil-based dressings like balsamic
  • koalalovely
    koalalovely Posts: 13 Member
    Reading this made me thing about one of my fellow fitblr's blog post.
    Here is a link to the post and its A LOT of information that should be useful. It talks about what to do before and talks about appetizers and bottomless servings of foods. Give it a read if you like

http://i-am-not-stopping.tumblr.com/post/20634687036/tips-strategies-for-dining-out
  • LCBinGA
    LCBinGA Posts: 102 Member
    Reading this made me thing about one of my fellow fitblr's blog post.
    Here is a link to the post and its A LOT of information that should be useful. It talks about what to do before and talks about appetizers and bottomless servings of foods. Give it a read if you like

http://i-am-not-stopping.tumblr.com/post/20634687036/tips-strategies-for-dining-out

great website! great info! thanks much!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I rarely eat at chain restaurants so i don't have access to nutritional info and I can still navigate restaurant food just fine. I can sum it up in two words: portion control.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Resturants are becoming more friendly to people who want to eat healthy. Some tips I use:

1. Ask for Sauces to be removed or on the side
    2. Choose simple options (broiled or grilled meats - Chicken, Fish)
    3. Be honest about portion control
    4. Stay away from Deep Fried foods
    5. Only add-on I will do is a side salad (no desert / no appetisers)
    6. If it is too much, take it home (I usually do not find it to be too much)

Personally, I find Ruby Tuesday has great options, Applebees with the 550 menu, Red Lobster with Fresh Fish options. I stay away from Italian resturants because that is a challenge for me (Oh Cheese and Pasta)... But even there you can find healthy options.

Make a plan before you go on what you will be eating, and follow through on it!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    I love Chili's......I can eat a grilled chicken breast and a house salad easily. It's great and low enough in calories that I can splurge on the chips and salsa and still work them into my calorie goal. And, (gasp) sometimes I even have a chicken fried steak OR mashed potatoes!!!!