When to bring in strength training?

Options
Hi MFP Community!

I am fairly new to MFP and have some questions about fitness. I have about 180 pound to lose. I have started to do cardio: Zumba, treadmill, and elliptical, but I was wondering how soon should I start strength training? Should I focus on cardio and dropping weight now? OR Should I also incorporate strength training? And, if so, what exercises (machines) at the gym should I be focusing on? All comments are appreciated and please add illustrations if possible!

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Day 1.

forget cardio and lift weights 3 times a week.

Enjoy your fat loss!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Yesterday.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • 87missc87
    87missc87 Posts: 41
    Options
    Yesterday.

Agreed! :-)
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Yesterday.

Agreed! X 2! : )
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    start now. right now. in fact stop reading this thread and get to it!

strength training will help you hold on to as much possible while you eat at a deficit.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Yesterday.

Agreed! X 2! : )

I disagree.

Last Tuesday.
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    I wish I'd started my current serious weight lifting program when I was still somewhat overweight. Ended up losing too much weight and now have to bulk up. I would start immediately!
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    If all you want to do is lose weight, lifting might be all you need. But there are many other benefits to cardio besides just weight loss.
    Here's an article: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/kick-up-cardio-exercise
  • openexpression
    openexpression Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Lol at the responses so far! So, can anyone point me to a beginner's guide to strength training or what a sample strength training workout should look like? I'm new to this fitness game and have been overweight since the age of six, so a little guidance is needed. :wink:
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    Lol at the responses so far! So, can anyone point me to a beginner's guide to strength training or what a sample strength training workout should look like? I'm new to this fitness game and have been overweight since the age of six, so a little guidance is needed. :wink:

I do StrongLifts 5 x 5, it's very easy with no complicated moves. There is a group of women here who do it.

I started out with New Rules of Lifting for Women, but it has a few different lifts, and I had a knee injury, so I switched it out to StrongLifts for ease of use.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    try new rules of lifting for women. it's a book from amazon and a pretty good primer for women new to lifting. there's also stronglifts (free on the interwebs)

happy lifting!
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    try new rules of lifting for women. it's a book from amazon and a pretty good primer for women new to lifting. there's also stronglifts (free on the interwebs)

happy lifting!

LOL -- Snap!
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

happy lifting!

LOL -- Snap!

jinx. buy me some lifting strap!
  • nz_deevaa
    Options

happy lifting!

LOL -- Snap!

jinx. buy me some lifting strap!

If you are good.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    as soon as you know what you're doing. it's important to have a plan/program before you start, and ensure you know how to do those exercises with good form. start after that.
  • summergirl73
    summergirl73 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

happy lifting!
    this
  • anawhatsme
    anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    sorry to butt in, but i have the same question as the original poster.
    i checked out strong lifts and it seems geared toward men.
    am i missing something?
    5x5 says you will add 100 pounds to your lifting weight each month?
    huh??
    i don't want to lift crazy amounts, i just want to get in shape.
    help!?
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    am i missing something?
    huh??
    help!?
    Any weight lifting program designed for a man can also be done by a woman. It doesn't matter what sex you are to lift heavy things.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    am i missing something?
    huh??
    help!?
    Any weight lifting program designed for a man can also be done by a woman. It doesn't matter what sex you are to lift heavy things.

This.

AND lifting crazy amounts will help you achieve your goals.

I'm in the starting phases of StrongLifts. I started with an empty bar, which weighs 20kg/44lbs and now (after 3wks) I'm already lifting twice that much on all of the lifts.