I feel totally violated...

Options
pbajwally
pbajwally Posts: 210 Member
To anyone who does spinning? Ummm... particularly women - (guys, I don't even want to imagine)... how do you protect yourself? This is day #2 of only 20 minutes spinning and I am really REALLY sore. I can't imagine doing an hour long class! Any advice because I love the workout - just can't stand the pain!!

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Get a gel seat or the shorts with extra cushioning.
  • Genozid
    Genozid Posts: 30
    Options
    << Dude

Also had this problem. I just stood/knelt more. You can get a pair of cycling shorts, with the built in Maxi pad if you'd like.... but I prefer to just feel it in my legs, and not walk around like I have a diaper on, since I do more than just spin.
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Lots of people like their gel seats or padded shorts.

I hurt for a little while, but it eventually went away and I haven't had a problem for years.
  • savlov30
    savlov30 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It well get better. You have to do it consistently. If you start for a week and then stop for a few weeks then the next time you go you will feel that same way. Like everyone else says, they have seat cushions. If you continue to do it on a regular base you will not feel that way.
  • nomo_excuses
    nomo_excuses Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My spin class instructor used to tell us to squeeze/tighten our butt muscles before we sat on the seat/saddle. It kinda creates extra cushioning! When you start to get uncomfortable again, stand and repeat. In time, you'll get to the point where you won't even need those padded shorts anymore. Good luck!! :-)
  • kmozymoz
    kmozymoz Posts: 187
    Options
    Make sure your bike is adjusted to the right levels! Ask the instructor to help you if you haven't been to the class many times, cuz it might be different than you think it should be.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Same for everyone, but after 3 or 4 classes you will be grand, doesn;t bother me at all now.
  • MiltWe
    MiltWe Posts: 3
    Options
    One thing you should be aware of is the seat adjustment. In some spinning classes I've noticed at least 30% of the bikes had the nose of the seat tilted too high. This is not good -- for a man or woman. Stand at the end of a row and look down the tops of the seats and see if you notice any that are different. You want the seat more or less level, but it does depend on the person. Nose too low and you constantly keep pushing back to not slide forward. Also, seat to far back, or too high can cause problems. Your sit bones should be squarely on the seat. However, if you ride in an aero position there is very little you can do to avoid contact with the nose and your sensitive areas. Be sure you're wearing padded cycling shorts. Hope this helps. Spinning is a great exercise!
    -Milt
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    dont slump into the seat, keep yourself pulled up using your diaphragm and core
  • Ruthaw1961
    Ruthaw1961 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    And by putting enough resistance on the fly wheel will make you use your legs more and you will not sit as heavy...
  • zannapike
    zannapike Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Def invest in a gel seat, they are only around $15, and make the world of difference.
  • pbajwally
    pbajwally Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    You will get used to it.

I am an instructor (8 years).

There is no need to buy a gel seat or bike shorts for a spin class! 3 classes in 2 weeks, and that's all you need.

Bike shorts are for rides of 2 or more hours, and I wouldn't even buy a gel seat to ride 100 miles on the road (and I do that). A big cushy seat is NOT what you want when riding regularly; trust.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Your body does get used to it. the second class I took I had to pedal without touching the seat......however, it does get better and you'll be fine. GREAT going! Love spinning!
  • jmach002
    jmach002 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    To anyone who does spinning? Ummm... particularly women - (guys, I don't even want to imagine)... how do you protect yourself? This is day #2 of only 20 minutes spinning and I am really REALLY sore. I can't imagine doing an hour long class! Any advice because I love the workout - just can't stand the pain!!

i used to teach spin........the trick is to tuck ur pelvis under so ur not riding on ur lady parts. as far as bum pain from my experience gel pads/seats/pants dont help all that much. stick with it it DOES get better i promise
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Get padding shorts! Orrr if you dont wat to spend money....wear a pad it will help cushion (my spin instructor suggested this one time)
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Get padding shorts! Orrr if you dont wat to spend money....wear a pad it will help cushion (my spin instructor suggested this one time)

Um . . . friction . . . NO!
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    There is no need to buy a gel seat or bike shorts for a spin class! 3 classes in 2 weeks, and that's all you need.

Bike shorts are for rides of 2 or more hours, and I wouldn't even buy a gel seat to ride 100 miles on the road (and I do that). A big cushy seat is NOT what you want when riding regularly; trust.

I won't do more than ride to the ice cream stand a mile away without a chamois or tri shorts. Seams and my hooha are not good friends. I agree with you on the gel seats (they are pure evil and I do not understand why they are the first recommendation of so many...all that squish is displaced by our sit bones and smash up under our privates, causing pressure), but if I were doing spinning classes I'd invest in a pair of tri-shorts which don't have a bulky chamois, but do have seams that are placed so that they aren't coming in contact with any sensitive areas. Most compression shorts are designed for running and have seams or a gusset that are VERY poorly placed for cycling.

And NO panties...again, stitching and seams shouldn't be touching those sensitive areas. Commando is key.
  • sleepytexan
    Options

I won't do more than ride to the ice cream stand a mile away without a chamois or tri shorts. Seams and my hooha are not good friends. I agree with you on the gel seats (they are pure evil and I do not understand why they are the first recommendation of so many...all that squish is displaced by our sit bones and smash up under our privates, causing pressure), but if I were doing spinning classes I'd invest in a pair of tri-shorts which don't have a bulky chamois, but do have seams that are placed so that they aren't coming in contact with any sensitive areas. Most compression shorts are designed for running and have seams or a gusset that are VERY poorly placed for cycling.

And NO panties...again, stitching and seams shouldn't be touching those sensitive areas. Commando is key.

I personally do not have a problem with cross seams for spin--(it's only an hour, folks!); some of my pants have them, some of them don't. I am careful not to wear pants with cross seams for a road ride though. Anyway, I'd ride a century with tri-shorts; diaper chamois and gel are not your friends.

Seriously, you will get used to it, 3x in 2 weeks, trust.

You could always try "hooha ride glide", but I wouldn't recommend it. Tea tree oil!~!!! :laugh: