Replies

• roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Full fat all the way. Brain function, yo
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it seems a lot of the dietary advice to fix the nations obese is mostly nonsense. An active lifestyle with a good network of family and friends along with just not overeating gets the job done.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Daily Mail. END OF CONVERSATION
  • willyzification
    willyzification Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I had a quick scan of the article, and what a load of hocus pocus. Their entire argument is revolving on any food being low in fat has high sugar hence bad for you. Any person with any sense in how to eat healthily would actually check the back and see the contents of what they are eating, rather then go "hmm low fat im going to eat that". There are plenty of foods that are low in fat yet not high in sugar either. Furthermore there is NOTHING WRONG with eating carbs!

Another bogus article trying to scare the general population with no real knowledge on proper eating and trying to get more people to view their article for $
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I trust the DM as far as I can spit it. Awful, awful publication (one, I admit, I can't help but read online...no good for my blood pressure) with a misogynistic streak a mile wide.

I'd rather take health advice from Keith Richards than the Mail.
  • Apa93
    Apa93 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It's the Daily Mail. Anything they say is laughable and should not be taken seriously. The paper is just written by bigoted, racist idiots.
  • DaveTopliss
    DaveTopliss Posts: 10 Member
    Options

definitely this
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    Definitely #Daily Fail!
  • willyzification
    willyzification Posts: 95 Member
    Options

nuff said.
  • saraht131
    saraht131 Posts: 86
    Options

May as well take advice from Fox News...
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options

definitely this

Oh yes, if it's in the Daily Fail the chances are it's a total fabrication.
  • thpeek
    thpeek Posts: 76
    Options
    Actually I agree with most of what the article has to say. I try to keep my carbs below 120 a day, I was able to get my A1C down from 6 to 4.9 by watching my carbs. Some very obese people that are true Sugar addicts can benefit from a 2 week low carb kick start. My doctor recommends this if you have bad sugar cravings. Sugar is an addiction for some. I have noticed since I quit eating all the non-complex carbs I feel so much better, more energy, no more mid-day crashing, weight loss, so many benefits. As far as running and heart attacks, sure why not. If you are over weight, out of shape, unhealthy. I think you probably should build up to running. Running does put strain on your body, heart and lungs. I personally think that you should have a treadmill stress test with a ultrasound heart scan if you are a middle aged man or women with weight issues or high cholesterol or high blood pressure levels etc..... It never hurts to be proactive and take care of yourself. The whole insulin/heart disease connection, I believe it to be true. When I ate a low fat, high carb diet my cholesterol was 280. Now I eat lower carb with a moderate fat diet and my cholesterol has dropped more than 50 points in 5 months. My doctor told me it would happen, he explained the insulin/cholesterol connection to me months ago and so far everything he has told me has been true in my case. I did not read anything that sounded crazy or unbelievable in this article. I guess I am the minority because I get it.....
  • ms_leanne
    Options
    Hi thpeek,

I have been hearing more and more about this in podcasts and other medica recently. It seems like you have taken a very sensible approach to it and got some good adice from a professional. I don't know if you are based in the US or UK or elsewhere in the world but the advice given by health professionals over here (UK) is very sparse.

I do consider myself as quite a sugar addict although I do notice that as I don't have it, I don't crave it so much. I'd love to hear more about the moderate fats and how you cope knocking down your carbs so much.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    It's the Daily Mail. Anything they say is laughable and should not be taken seriously. The paper is just written by bigoted, racist idiots.
    [/quote

^^^ This]
  • ania0307
    ania0307 Posts: 49
    Options
    it is as smart as people saying "ooo it;'s fine that i had this packet of sweets, they're low fat " duh you idiot - because they're made of sugar ! it's like saying "it's fine, i'll have this block of lard - it's sugar free"
    thick !
    but hey, as long as people consider being size 14 (for a woman) a normal weight, having ketchup as one of the 5 a day, and walking around the supermarket for 5 minutes an exercise i guess thet're nothing we can do :)
  • Dietexpert
    Dietexpert Posts: 34
    Options
    Actually I agree with most of what the article has to say. I try to keep my carbs below 120 a day, I was able to get my A1C down from 6 to 4.9 by watching my carbs. Some very obese people that are true Sugar addicts can benefit from a 2 week low carb kick start. My doctor recommends this if you have bad sugar cravings. Sugar is an addiction for some. I have noticed since I quit eating all the non-complex carbs I feel so much better, more energy, no more mid-day crashing, weight loss, so many benefits. As far as running and heart attacks, sure why not. If you are over weight, out of shape, unhealthy. I think you probably should build up to running. Running does put strain on your body, heart and lungs. I personally think that you should have a treadmill stress test with a ultrasound heart scan if you are a middle aged man or women with weight issues or high cholesterol or high blood pressure levels etc..... It never hurts to be proactive and take care of yourself. The whole insulin/heart disease connection, I believe it to be true. When I ate a low fat, high carb diet my cholesterol was 280. Now I eat lower carb with a moderate fat diet and my cholesterol has dropped more than 50 points in 5 months. My doctor told me it would happen, he explained the insulin/cholesterol connection to me months ago and so far everything he has told me has been true in my case. I did not read anything that sounded crazy or unbelievable in this article. I guess I am the minority because I get it.....

I agree with you and I rarely agree with anything the DM publishes!!!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Daily Mail = Daily Morons.

Utter crap paper full of middle aged fuddy duddies that base science on gut feelings a complete lack of understanding of how things work.

There is nothing really that is bad per se, it depends on quantities eaten.
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I can't bear to even click on the link I hate the Daily Fail so much.
  • ms_leanne
    Options
    it is as smart as people saying "ooo it;'s fine that i had this packet of sweets, they're low fat " duh you idiot - because they're made of sugar ! it's like saying "it's fine, i'll have this block of lard - it's sugar free"
    thick !
    but hey, as long as people consider being size 14 (for a woman) a normal weight, having ketchup as one of the 5 a day, and walking around the supermarket for 5 minutes an exercise i guess thet're nothing we can do :)

Bear in mind UK girls this is a US size 14. Our UK 14 is a US10.