Anyone in the UK living the Paleo lifestyle?

Options
I've just started on my Paleo journey and am finding it incredibly hard to :

Know what to buy
Where to buy from

Most of the books I've read, blogs I've visited are American and it seems so much easier to live the Paleolithic lifestyle there!

Any help would be much appreciated

Many Thanks
Nikkei

Replies

• Nikkei1984
    Nikkei1984 Posts: 32
    Options
    Bump, can anyone help?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm interested and in the UK, but not doing it. You follow any particular blogger or plan ?
  • selfishshellfish
    Options
    Hi. I've been broadly following paleo for a couple of months now, inspired mostly by Dr John Briffa's book 'Escape the Diet Trap'. He has a lot of very practical advice in there for those of us in the UK who are trying to combine paleo with a full-time job. For example, his paleo Scotch eggs are a great on-the-hoof meal.

Blog wise I've been into Dr Briffa's blog and another one called 'Not Just a Man's World', both based in the UK. The latter is from a very interesting woman who actually has a background in paleolithic archaeology and combines the lifestyle with regular distance walking trips. The latter is one I especially like, because she's very frank and blogs about all aspects of her life.

If you're interested in a slightly different approach there's 'Hyper-Lipid', a blog written by a Scottish vet working in East Anglia. It's pretty physiological in content, but very readable.

And of course there's 'Mark's Daily Apple', a US-based paleo blog.

Hope this helps. I must say, I feel tons better for having changed the way I eat. Adding in more fat seems to have made a massive difference to my health.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Isn't it just lean meats and fish, fresh veg, fruit & berries? Anything a caveman would have had access to? Should be able to buy those anywhere.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    The what now?
  • yarwell
    Options
    I wouldn't think it's lean meats - autumn buffalo would be quite fat and our ancestors knew the value of fat.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Sorry, was just going by what I found on Google!
  • yarwell
    Options
    LOL. Take a look at rabbit starvation while you're there.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Isn't it just lean meats and fish, fresh veg, fruit & berries? Anything a caveman would have had access to? Should be able to buy those anywhere.
    Exactly, it pretty easy. They don't have to be lean, but if you decide to go lean, cooking with evoo, coconut oil, duck fat, etc are good sources. Fish would be my choice because of the omega's and of course the taste.
  • AleUK
    AleUK Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You can get stuff from Holland&Barrett (things like coconut flour and oil), health shops and supermarkets. Other than that good quality meat, fish, fruit and veggies. I like Sarah Fragoso and Mark Sisson for recipes. Dax Moy in UK has nice recipes and tips too, although I never read he follows paleo/primal. Most of all you can adapt any recipe you like, for example, baking with ground almonds instead of flour x
  • gidgeclev
    gidgeclev Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Not sure I would really want to live a Paleolithic lifestyle! Bring on the flint tools though, I like a bit of flint knapping.
  • Nikkei1984
    Nikkei1984 Posts: 32
    Options
    Thanks guys for your replies, they're much appreciated! Shopping for the meat, veg and fruit isn't that hard admittedly other than trying to get the best quality meat within a tight budget, However trying to find things like almond flour, coconut flour, coconut cream, nut oils, avocado oil etc is proving more difficult. My favourite blog to date has been Nomnompaleo and I love the app on the iPad especially that you can read her blog within the app and there is an amazing resources tab with links to lots more paleo blogs. I will check out the uk Paleo blogs mentioned above when I get home tonight. I have to say for someone who hasn't eaten lots of meat in my diet previously this has been the toughest change for me as it seems never ending but the difference I had in energy after the 1st week was unbelievable. The main thing that is letting me down at the moment are the sweet treat cravings so I'm going to make some paleo treats to have on hand should the cheesecake cravings start!

Hope you are all having a good day!!! :)
  • selfishshellfish
    Options
    Ah yes, Ammi's cheesecake recipes (on 'Not Jut a Man's World') look really good.

My Tesco has avocado oil, and also virgin coconut oil. They're pretty good about stocking things I ask about, too. Maybe have a chat with our local shopkeeper or manager.

I make a lot of things using ground flax from Holland & Barrett. Otherwise the internet is your friend:

http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/tiana-organic-coconut-flour.html

Good luck with it!
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Healthy supplies....fantastic site...Ordered a load of stuff yesterday morning...It arrived 10am this morning..
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    PRIMAL BLUEPRINT SHOPPING LIST

Vegetables
    ! Artichoke
    ! Arugula
    ! Asparagus
    ! Avocados
    ! Beets/Beet Greens
    ! Bell Peppers
    ! Bok Choy
    ! Broccoli
    ! Broccoli Rabe
    ! Brussels Sprouts
    ! Cabbage
    ! Carrots
    ! Celery
    ! Celery Root
    ! Collards
    ! Cucumbers
    ! Eggplant
    ! Endive
    ! Fennel
    ! Fiddlehead Ferns
    ! Garlic
    ! Green Beans
    ! Jerusalem Artichoke
    ! Jicama
    ! Kale
    ! Kohlrabi
    ! Leeks
    ! Mushrooms
    ! Mustard Greens
    ! Olives
    ! Onions
    ! Parsnip
    ! Peppers (all kinds)
    ! Pumpkin
    ! Purslane
    ! Radish
    ! Romaine Lettuce
    ! Rutabaga
    ! Sea Vegetables
    ! Spinach
    ! Squash
    ! Swiss Chard
    ! Tomatoes
    Turnip Greens
    ! Watercress

In Moder ation
    ! Cassava
    ! Potatoes
    ! Sweet Potatoes
    ! Wild Rice
    ! Yams
    ! Taro

Fish
    ! Anchovies
    ! Bass
    ! Cod
    ! Eel
    ! Haddock
    ! Halibut
    ! Herring
    ! Mackerel
    ! Mahi Mahi
    ! Monkfish
    ! Mullet
    ! Northern Pike
    ! Orange Roughy
    ! Perch
    ! Red Snapper
    ! Rockfish
    ! Salmon
    ! Sardines
    ! Tilapia
    ! Tuna
    ! Walleye

Shellfish
    ! Abalone
    ! Clams
    ! Crab
    ! Crayfish
    ! Lobster
    ! Mussels
    ! Oysters
    ! Prawns
    ! Scallops
    ! Shrimp

Meat and Poultry
    ! Beef
    ! Chicken
    ! Goat
    ! Lamb
    ! Pork

Game Meat
    ! Alligator
    ! Bear
    ! Buffalo
    ! Caribou
    ! Duck
    ! Elk
    ! Emu
    ! Goose
    ! Pheasant
    ! Kangaroo
    ! Ostrich
    ! Quail
    ! Rabbit
    ! Snakes
    ! Turkey
    ! Venison

Organ Meat
    ! Hearts
    ! Kidney
    ! Liver
    ! Bone marrow
    ! Sweetbreads
    ! Tongue

Eggs
    ! Chicken
    ! Duck
    ! Emu
    ! Goose
    ! Pheasant
    ! Quail
    ! Roe/Caviar

Nuts and Seeds
    ! Almonds
    ! Brazil Nuts
    ! Hazelnuts
    ! Macadamia
    ! Pecans
    ! Pine Nuts
    ! Pistachios
    ! Pumpkin Seeds
    ! Sesame Seeds
    ! Sunflower Seeds
    ! Walnuts
    ! Derivative Butters

Healthy Fats/Oils
    ! Avocado Oil
    ! Butter/Ghee
    ! Coconut Oil/Milk
    ! Lard
    ! Macadamia Oil
    ! Olive Oil
    ! Sesame Oil
    ! Tallow
    ! Unprocessed Palm Oil
    ! Walnut Oil

Fruit

Preferred
    ! Blackberries
    ! Blueberries
    ! Boysenberries
    ! Cranberries
    ! Gooseberries
    ! Raspberries

Other Fruits
    ! Apple
    ! Apricot
    ! Banana
    ! Cantaloupe
    ! Cherries
    ! Coconuts
    ! Figs
    ! Goji Berries
    ! Grapefruit
    ! Grapes

! Guava
    ! Honeydew Melon
    ! Kiwi
    ! Lemon
    ! Lime
    ! Lychee
    ! Mango
    ! Nectarine
    ! Orange
    ! Papaya
    ! Passion Fruit
    ! Peaches
    ! Pears
    ! Persimmon
    ! Pineapple
    ! Plums
    ! Pomegranate
    ! Rhubarb
    ! Star Fruit
    ! Strawberries
    ! Tangerine
    ! Watermelon
    All other fruits

Spices and Herbs
    ! Anise
    ! Basil
    ! Black Pepper
    ! Cayenne Pepper
    ! Chili Pepper
    ! Cilantro
    ! Coriander Seeds
    ! Cinnamon
    ! Cloves
    ! Cumin
    ! Dill
    ! Fennel
    ! Ginger
    ! Mint
    ! Mustard Seeds
    ! Nutmeg
    ! Oregano
    ! Paprika
    ! Parsley
    ! Peppermint

! Rosemary
    ! Sage
    ! Tarragon
    ! Thyme
    ! Turmeric

Other
    ! Daily High-Potency
    Antioxidant Multi-Vitamin

Supplement
    ! Omega-3 Fatty Acid Fish Oi Supplement
    ! Tamari
    ! Tea (green, black, white,oolong)
    ! Vinegar
    ! Whey Protein Powder

In Moder ation
    ! 100% Full Fat Cream
    ! Cheese
    ! Coffee
    ! Yogurt

Occasional Indulgences
    ! Alcohol
    ! Dark Chocolate
  • selfishshellfish
    Options
    Not sure I would really want to live a Paleolithic lifestyle! Bring on the flint tools though, I like a bit of flint knapping.

Yeah, all that gathering really does my back in. I want to have a go at hunting but my husband ain't no new man.

What's a stone age gal to do, eh?
  • AlexFryer
    Options
    Kudos to everyone beginning the Paleo diet !! How's it going for y'all? I've been Paleo for 2 years. First two months, inevitably difficult, but if you power through it becomes second nature. And it's not all gloom and doom if you cheat every once in a while, eventually your desire to will subside. Previously showed no intolerance to gluten, dairy or legumes but now:

Increased energy levels, improved digestion**, improved skin, weight loss, ability to work out & exercise more and enjoy a happier lifestyle!

selfishshellf mentionned Ammi.. I was in contact with her a while back, she has some great knowledge, experience and recipes to keep you going on the Paleo diet. You will see plenty of recipes and guidelines about what foods to eat on Paleo, but the bottom line is it is all about adapting what you ate in your previous diet to Paleo. No one can tell you to eat 200g of spinach every day if you can't stand the stuff, eat what you feel comfortable eating.

Is it possible to eat Paleo on a budget in the UK? 100% yes. I was a student for the past two years living off my own part-time income and I managed it:

Fruit & Veg is cheap in the right places (Aldi, Tesco.. additions?)
    Eggs (OK not free range or organic) are cheap as chips
    Meat - £/kilo mince is cheap, I used to eat a lot (cut down now). Go to butchers not Tesco if you can
    Fish - tuna, 50p a can
    Green teas - cheap
    Vitamins - available in the pound shop

If you have a bit more of a flexible budget, hit the food festivals. You can find plenty of UK farms that supply game meat such as deer, reindeer, crocodile. They deliver to your house, and if you can strike up a good relationship with the suppliers they will be sure to much more lenient on the price than Mr. Tesco.

In my approach the long and short of it is do your best to avoid gluten, keep milk and dairy down to a minimum and avoid legumes (peanuts, kidney beans, chick peas etc.). As your budget stretches, it will make it easier (free range eggs & meat, more fish etc.). But you certainly don' t have to break the bank to live this way.

Persevere if you're finding it difficult and you will reap the benefits. Learn how to deal with your cravings. Are you really craving that food, or is it habit...the attractive packaging...the advertising... etc.? Understanding this allows you to better deal with it.
    Turn it into a 'lifestyle', because a 'diet' typically has a sell-by-date.

Also read !! Some great books on Paleo which will teach you the true benefits (notably Robb Wolf & Loren Cordain). If you have a clearer picture in your head the benefits you will gain from adopting the lifestyle, then it will make it much easier.

FYI my typical day on Paleo:

Breakfast: Gluten free oats/muesli with berries, honey & cinnamon
    Lunch: Chicken salad with lemon juice & sunflower seeds
    Dinner: Eggs with bacon & mushrooms
    Snacks: choice between Chicken breast/Boiled eggs/Fruit/Almonds/*Nak'd bars (amount of these depends on if it's a workout day)
    Drinks: lots of water, green tea & nettle tea and 2-3 cups of coffee (trying to limit, never after 2pm)

*must try, available in all Tescos & plenty of varieties

Admittedly, I'm no expert on the topic but I've done my share of research and am always fascinated to learn more about the topic.
    Welcome your comments, always enjoy discussing the Paleo and hearing people's insights.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's really not supported in the UK. I hope you get lucky and more people actually read/understand your question. The trouble with any diet going mainstream, is that the majority of people that become experts in it only understand the gist of the diet.
  • noojim
    noojim Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Unprocessed veggies, meats, fish, eggs, fungi, nuts, all widely available in different price ranges in normal shops in the UK. Finding the ingredients for paleo-style meals is easy. You won't find loads of prepackaged "health products" for paleo dieting, thank goodness, and that would be quite a contradiction in terms anyway. If you're so inclined, there's even plenty of wild food out in the British countryside (and you don't have to go far from cities for it).

Edit. I think popping into a traditional butcher's might be useful. Come to think of it one might struggle finding stuff for making bone marrow broths and such things in a normal supermarket.
  • KathPearce
    KathPearce Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Bump