Why does my husband loose more calories on the same walk I t

Options
I was wondering why my husband loses more calories on our walk then I do... I am 5' 5" and he is 5' 10". I don't know if height, gender, or our weight makes that big of a difference. I lose 76 calories and he loses 95. Thats almost 20 calories different. Oh well, if ya know why let me know!

Replies

• carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I was wondering why my husband loses more calories on our walk then I do... I am 5' 5" and he is 5' 10". I don't know if height, gender, or our weight makes that big of a difference. I lose 76 calories and he loses 95. Thats almost 20 calories different. Oh well, if ya know why let me know!

Men always burn more calories than women do, and yes height, weight gender makes a huge difference
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options

Better explanation

One of the main reasons that men lose weight faster than women is due to the fact that men, overall, have larger amounts of muscle mass on their frames. Metabolically speaking, muscle tissue is very active and requires a lot of calories to maintain--much more than adipose, or fat, tissue does. As a result, men burn more calories than women do--even at rest--due to their larger amounts of metabolically-active muscle tissue. Muscle tissue, on average, burns roughly 10 to 15 calories per pound, per day, just to maintain itself. Men have a lot of calorie-burning muscle. Therefore, men generally lose weight faster than women do primarily because their bodies simply burn more calories
  • jellymedina
    Options
    u loose more the bigger u are. think about it, i takes bigger ppl more energy to do something like run around the block then a normal, more fit person.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Same reason I get more calories to eat than my wife. It takes more energy (calories) to move myself around than most people.

This also means the more weight you lose the harder you will have to work out to burn the same amount of calories, and it also means you have to keep adjusting your intake down, because it takes less energy to get the job done.

Think 9th Grade physics and it will me much easier for you.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options

Men always burn more calories than women do, and yes height, weight gender makes a huge difference

Men don't always burn more calories, it depends on your weight. It takes more energy to move a mass equal distance with greater weight.