Eating back exercise calories

Options
Hi,

I'm new here so please forgive my ignorance :) So far I have taken in about 1800 cal. (Age - 25; height - 5.6; Weight 189 p.)
I was wondering how do I eat my exercise calories as I work out late in the evening?
Usually I have a big breakfast, snack, lunch and 2nd snack. I go to the gym straight after work where I usually burn around 500 cal. I get home around 9 and go to bed around 12.
Is it OK if I eat a big dinner? Or should I consume those exercise calories during the day as I know how much I normally burn?
So far I have had a small dinner.

I'm a bit lost here. Not even sure if I eat the correct amount of calories.

Please do help :)
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely fine to eat a big dinner unless it makes it uncomfortable to sleep. Spread out the calories however you like and works for you.
  • FiNiTiNi
    FiNiTiNi Posts: 4
    Options
    That's the thing - it hasn't been working for me so far :(
  • Sandrad509
    Sandrad509 Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi, I'm kind of new here also so I wasn't sure about that either. I don't eat them, I just figured it defeats the purpose of the exercising. I could be wrong though. Good luck to you on your weight loss journey! Feel free to add me if you like!
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm kind of new here also so I wasn't sure about that either. I don't eat them, I just figured it defeats the purpose of the exercising. I could be wrong though. Good luck to you on your weight loss journey! Feel free to add me if you like!

MFP sets you at a deficit (unless you've set it to maintain or gain) so you really need to be eating those calories back, or just not exercise at all.
  • jeremymac76
    jeremymac76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i usually just eat half my exercise calories and its working great for me lost 11 pound in less than 3 weeks keep it going
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm new here so please forgive my ignorance :) So far I have taken in about 1800 cal. (Age - 25; height - 5.6; Weight 189 p.)
    I was wondering how do I eat my exercise calories as I work out late in the evening?
    Usually I have a big breakfast, snack, lunch and 2nd snack. I go to the gym straight after work where I usually burn around 500 cal. I get home around 9 and go to bed around 12.
    Is it OK if I eat a big dinner? Or should I consume those exercise calories during the day as I know how much I normally burn?
    So far I have had a small dinner.

I'm a bit lost here. Not even sure if I eat the correct amount of calories.

Please do help :)
    Thanks in advance!

Do you know what your TDEE or BMR is? if not you need to google them to find out how much you should be eating. TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is the total amount you burn in a day taking into consideration your weight, height, and daily activity. BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is how much you burn if you did literally nothing all day. You should be eating no less than 15-20% less than your TDEE depending on how much you have to burn, and definately don't eat less than your BMR, ever.

Eat whenever you want, as long as you get the right amount of calories in during that day, or week (which might work better for you).
  • FiNiTiNi
    Options
    My BMR is 1669.85. and TDEE (without exercise) is 1998. If I choose the right amount if exercise I do then it's 2581.
    If I get this right I should eat ~2000 kcal per day? + exercise calories? Sounds bit too much...

I'm a total mess :(
  • marqut
    marqut Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    what works for me is if I put in everything I plan on eating that day in the morning before I eat anything. Then I know how much I have to burn at the gym to make up for the red. I know its sometimes hard to know exactly what your going to eat all day but it can be done, gives me focus and then I don't cheat so often either. I think that planning is part of the diet process. Good Luck!
  • FiNiTiNi
    Options
    I have all my meals planned for the next day the night before.
    All packed and ready to go. I'm just struggling to see what would be the right balance of calories. Especially when I work out.
    I have minimized my carbohydrates (max 100g per day) and focused on protein and useful fats.
  • DoncasterPhotography
    DoncasterPhotography Posts: 147 Member
    Options

Think of it this way... Would you set off on a long drive without fuelling the car first?

Preload throughout the day.

Keep an eye on your exercise calories, over a week or two, and use that as a guideline as to how many cals you need to be taking in on training days.

Dont go overboard, then if you're a still under take a protein shake, handful of nuts, yogurt or such similar "good" calories as a post exercise snack.
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    what works for me is if I put in everything I plan on eating that day in the morning before I eat anything. Then I know how much I have to burn at the gym to make up for the red. I know its sometimes hard to know exactly what your going to eat all day but it can be done, gives me focus and then I don't cheat so often either. I think that planning is part of the diet process. Good Luck!

You do exactly what I do, it works as I am loosing the pounds!!! :bigsmile:
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I was told that as long as I eat at or above my BMR then I don't have to eat my exercise calories back... but sometimes I do it anyway :laugh:
  • jenmfpal
    jenmfpal Posts: 124
    Options

These are great ideas, I only sometimes do this with dinner and snack. Thanks for the tips :)
  • defectus
    defectus Posts: 8
    Options

Do the same. I exercise in the evening too but count calories for the next day, so I know exactly how much I burnt and how much is remaining. Basically I eat my yesterdays exercise calories today, that's what it is.