Replies

• CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    It took you a long time to put it on it will take a long time for you to lose it

I haven't put it all back on, but, I have always started dieting again if I put more than a stone back on.

Also I keep within my daily maintain calories

I think two big final lessons I have learnt are don't under-eat by more than 500 . Don't deny yourself any food

A lot of people can't give up chocolate because they deny themselves it instead of just saying 'I don't want it'
  • mheightchew
    mheightchew Posts: 334
    Options
    I lost 65 lbs several years ago and then got pregnant and gained all of it back and then some! This time around I am taking my time. I knew I had to change my lifestyle and learn about who I was and why I wanted to be a healthier person along the way if I wanted it to stick. Its been a slow but steady process. I know that I am a new person now. I love being active and I love the way a healthy diet makes me feel. My kids get involved and the old me is just a reminder of who I was. To me, weight loss is almost like AA. One day at a time. I was addicted to food and unhealthy habits. I know those habits could easily come back if I let myself slip and I know how fastbthe weight can come back on. Doing things the way I have this time has made this more about living life and being healthy than about anything else. You can do it!
  • bozzalozza
    bozzalozza Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Five years ago, I lost half my body weight, around 140lbs. Since then, my weight has slowly crept back up and I am now 75lbs overweight (was 90lbs, but have lost 15lbs so far since starting MFP in April). How did I let this happen? This is a tough question...

Over the five years, I put weight back on due to specific events...eg I put 4lbs on during a three week holiday or 5lbs on over Christmas. The problem was I never knuckled down enough to loose those pounds afterwards (like I think some normal weight people do). During my normal day-to-day eating, I would maintain my weight (I generally don't eat junk, take away for anything like that). So basically, I would 'splurge' on something and then not do the hard yards to get it back off.

This was also combined with moving countries which was the biggest upheaval of my entire life. All the foods I had known, all the exercise routines I had established, completely changed. Losing weight was no longer the top priority for my life and I couldn't spend hours on it like I used. It's taken me a long time to adjust.

But as I write this, I feel like I am making excuses. At the end of the day, I took my eye off the ball and I now know that I will never be able to do that again. It's exhausting thinking about it how much this is a battle I will have my entire life but it's more exhausting being obese.

You might also find this article interesting...http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/tara-parker-pope-fat-trap.html?pagewanted=all
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I sadly have spent 25 years yoyoing lots of weight on and off 10-60lbs chunks
    Ive had a hard life wont go into details which lead to depression and comfort eating
    In 2010 I lost 57lbs in 8 months through weightwatchers at home alone and zumba I tore my knee ligaments went away holiday at christmas in 2011 I regained 42lbs of it..............

My main struggle is lack of support,I have none at home on here it is overwhelming theres so many lovely people who understand you as they are like you

Ive now lost 26lbs of those 42lbs and ive 70lbs roughly left to lose,Im eating more than I have on any plan exercise regulary 6 days a week and feel happier.

The thing that I have done is dropped that word DIET its not a good word it feels like im restricting myself before I start,this is my life now I have to do this Im 42 I cant do 25 more years yoyoing

Please add me and congratualtions on your success xx
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    After I had my daughter I lost 105 pounds (from 310 at her birth to 250 without working at it then 205)...

Then I got diagnosed as hypoglycemic. I also go the news that I have a heart rhythm disorder and will one day need a pace maker as well as was told that I have extraordinarily low blood pressure and needed to add more salt to my diet.

I honestly felt betrayed by my body and decided to just try to stay at that weight rather than lose more weight. I also felt discouraged because I didn't know how to eat for hypoglycemia. I couldn't do what I had been doing to lose weight when I'd been told that I needed to consume at least 6 grams of protein every 2-3 hours.

In all honesty, looking back, I wasn't tracking calories but I couldn't have been eating enough and I was super restrictive. I had a list of things I wouldn't allow myself to eat- pork, any added fat, ice cream, any and all sweets, red meats, etc... It really wasn't the way to go. My body was starving! My body seriously held onto EVERYTHING afterwards.

Not very long after my diagnoses I moved across the country to be with my SO. I started working at a job I hated and eventually changed jobs to one where I work 50 hours a week. I had to deal with cohabitation and all of those stresses. I also went from simply raising my daughter on my own to helping raise his as well (he has custody). I also had my grandfather and uncle (step-mother's family) die within a month of each other. My maternal grandmother became ill and went into a nursing home. I caught pneumonia and was out of work for an entire month and also on steroids for much of that month. Not to mention, my SO has very different eating habits (150 pounds and eats whatever he feels like without gaining weight.)

I got depressed and I turned to food in my time of need-mostly sugar laden foods. I produce too much insulin and sugar only exacerbates the cycle. I eat a bunch of sugar and my body produces a flood of insulin as a response, causing my blood sugar to then drop rapidly and me to feel even more depressed/sluggish/shaky. I then eat more sugar to bring my blood sugar back up. Emotional eating- that monster that I thought I'd slayed was really my downfall. However, with a score of 300 on the Holmes and Rahe stress scale and depression in my past, is it really so surprising that I gained 80 pounds in a year and a half?

Now, I'm losing weight the right way for me. I'm watching my carbs (hypoglycemia makes this essential), getting enough protein, exercising moderately and generally trying to remember that slow and steady wins the race... I even took a week off while I was on vacation and managed to get back on track when I came home!
  • cchardt
    cchardt Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have done it several times over the years. The thing is, my body loves sweets and before I would cut them out completely and then when I got to my goal weight I went crazy!!! Now what I do is I do have sweets but instead of binging on them I have them in moderation and not every single day. I am also learning to stop the snacking after 6. I try different things to keep myself busy during those times. I read, play a game, knit, and etc. I also find myself drinking more water during those times to keep myself full. As long as you are doing it the right way, you should be fine. You can do this!!
  • glengiles
    glengiles Posts: 147
    Options
    I lost about 70 lbs in about 7 months back in the 90's. Did that by going to Weight Watchers, but cheating like crazy, and exercising my butt off, literally. I was in the gym 5 days a week, minimum. Then we had our fist baby. Well, up at 2am, then 3:45am, guess what? I'm not getting up at 5am to hit the gym, I'm tired! Exercise stopped, and 130 pounds and 17 years later I'm here. I lost a lot but I did not change my eating habits.

I'm taking years to lose this time because I'm losing eating on a maintenance plan, NOT a diet. On other programs it was that deprivation and trying to go 'back' to real food that did me in. I'm losing not depriving myself of anything, just eating what I should every day. It's gonna take me about 3 years to get where I want to be. That's fine.
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    I think extreme restriction and deprivation are at the root of most peoples' regaining issues. I've been up and down with the same 15 pounds for most of my adult life, and I'm convinced that when I lose focus on healthy eating I eat everything I skipped while I was trying to lose. I'm starting to think the best approach might be than once make the decision to become healthy once and for all, a good task would be to make a list of your favorite foods and--right then--do the math and figure out how they can be incorporated into an overall healthy eating plan. There's really nothing a healthy person can't eat if they plan for it.
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    For me I am 51, married in high school (no, not preg.) but I was bigger then I wanted to be. Until then I never gave my weight much thought but the moment that I admitted that "I have a weight problem" there was NO turning back. Although I went through times that I let myself go the "Knowing " was always in the back of my mind haunting me. So I now realize it will never go away even after reaching my goal I will know I still have a weight problem but this time I plan to use that "knowing" as a controling tool instead of being agravated by it. It will always have to watch it to keep it in check

Its like climbing a rope you don't struggle ,fight and strain to get to the top just to totally relax .
  • kristinkt
    kristinkt Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    So many of these stories hit home with me too. This time around I have been more careful about diet & exercise changes to my life that I don't mind keeping on a long term lifestyle basis. I may do a temporary challenge such as exercise more for a month, but then I allow myself to go back to a more moderate exercise schedule when the month is over. As a result, I have found that I am gradually exercising more overall. I agree with the others who have said not to call your favorite junkfoods off limits. I basically just had to tell myself that I am a grown up now and I can't afford to eat without control. A little junk is okay, but a life of junk is not all that smart. It's what I do with my kids. I don't let them overdo on the junk, so why would I let myself. I have preached this message in my head to myself many times. This is a wonderful question. Thanks for putting it out there.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm on week six of the first weight loss journey that I've actually ever taken seriously aside from all the yo-yo and fad dieting that have been unsuccessful. So this is the first time I can actually say I've lost weight in a healthy and real manner (12 pounds down, 40 to go). This is the longest I've ever stuck with this lifestyle change and also the most I've ever lost and so I'm starting to really understand how difficult and long of a process this can be.

So my question for the people who got down to their goal weights or lost a significant amount but gained some or most of it back is - why did that happen? I'm asking just because I want to be mentally prepared the closer I get because going through this process now makes me want to never have to start at having to lose 50+ pounds again.

Thanks!

The times I gained most of my weight back seemed to be during times of short-termed depression. Not blaming it, but when I've tracked back to when I regained this is where I was in my life. The first time I got down really low, my ex-husband and I moved home and temporarily in with my parents, I gained 50 lbs in like 2 months time and I was depressed.

I lost the weight again, I did well and then I bought my house. Again a short term of depression set in and I gained again. You may be asking why did you get depressed after getting a house, what you've wanted, I have no idea, but when anything major changes in my world I get slightly depressed.

Anyhow, I got laid off in August, you would think this would be soooo depressing, but for some reason it had an opposite affect on me. I started working out again, I started watching what I ate. First just doing it on my own, and then in January joining this site. So seems this time I made it work in my favor. I also feel like this time, I don't let setbacks depress me, so if one week I gain the 2 lbs I just lost, I don't give up, I don't cry and I don't get depressed or think I'm not working as hard, I just realize that it's a process and since I still lost inches, I know it's temporary. Maybe the mindset has changed now. But I feel like it would take a lot to have me regain significantly. UNIVERSE THAT IS NOT A CHALLENGE.
  • dotido
    dotido Posts: 49
    Options
    I believe if I reach my goal weight I have to continue counting my calories... forever.
  • glengiles
    glengiles Posts: 147
    Options
    I believe if I reach my goal weight I have to continue counting my calories... forever.

That's where I'm at. For me food isn't a temporary problem; it's an addiction I've been dealing with my whole life. The day I stop combating it is my last day on earth. One day at a time.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm on week six of the first weight loss journey that I've actually ever taken seriously aside from all the yo-yo and fad dieting that have been unsuccessful. So this is the first time I can actually say I've lost weight in a healthy and real manner (12 pounds down, 40 to go). This is the longest I've ever stuck with this lifestyle change and also the most I've ever lost and so I'm starting to really understand how difficult and long of a process this can be.
    Congratulations on your successful weight loss thus far! You seem to have the right mindset this time as to what it takes to not only lose weight, but to maintain at a healthy weight! :flowerforyou:
    So my question for the people who got down to their goal weights or lost a significant amount but gained some or most of it back is - why did that happen? I'm asking just because I want to be mentally prepared the closer I get because going through this process now makes me want to never have to start at having to lose 50+ pounds again.

Thanks!
    I've yo-yo'd over the past 10 years or more and as many of the others have mentioned, the main reason for this was I had used some kind of restrictive diet to achieve the initial weight loss and as soon as I reverted to my normal eating patterns then the weight crept back on.

The last time I lost a lot of weight was when I dealing with the acrimonious breakdown of a 10-year relationship and the weight just dropped off me for a while. This did give me an unexpected confidence boost (especially as my self-esteem had more or less been destroyed by my ex).

Funnily enough at the time, I was also recording my weight weekly as part of a weight-watchers project with my fellow colleagues. For a time I could see my weight dropping, but I didn't perceive that my food intake had changed any and again, I can see that I started putting on more and more weight - at a rate of 1-5lbs a week - once I stopped exercising and continued to eat with careless abandon. I can also see periods where I was maintaining at a steady but heavy weight.

If I had any advice I would say that once you get to the half-way point in your weight loss goal, it might be worth considering starting to eat to the maintenance calories you would eat were you at your goal weight. That way you will continue to lose weight, albeit perhaps slowly, but more importantly you will be getting used to the portion sizes, the types of food you enjoy and how to manage your diet and exercise plans over the long term which is a step towards sustainability.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    IMO if you have a lot to lose and have lost it and regained it there are probably issues other than calorie control that are motivating you. I lost about 40 kilos five years ago and gained about 12 back, mostly due to depression. The reasons for gaining weight are much more complicated than just putting the food in your mouth... if you can deal with the issues then you probably won't gain any back.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    I'm not even close to goal weight yet, but I have lost and gained lots of weight over the last decade, the most being 80 pounds one time. I failed in the past because I went on restrictive diets that were not maintainable over the long haul instead of learning how to feed my body properly. I also did not exercise like I am now. I wasn't consistent so I had trouble building the habit, whereas now if I don't workout even for 15 minutes each day, I miss it.

It was also pivotal for me to realize that this wasn't really about the numbers. I let the scale dictate my entire life, and I would punish myself if I gained weight. Now, I weigh to see how I'm doing, but if I gain a few pounds or have a bad eating day, I move on instead of letting it be an invitation to fall off the wagon. I used to think that when I was thin my life would be effortless and perfect, but then it hit me: I'm going to have to eat and exercise for the rest of my life, regardless of my weight, so there is no "when I'm thin..." This is my life right now.

Good luck to you on your journey!
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    In 2010 I lost 22lbs. I just kind of stopped wanting food. I was stressed and was having problems with my boyfriend. It was also my sisters wedding, so along with not wanting to eat I would try to exercise etc. I was feeling so much more confident with the weight lost that I started to be too comfortable... I would have alot of nights in with the friends with Takeaways... and have pizza night with the boyfriend and things like that.. I treated food as an event.. something to do rather than just fueling your body. I was alo very depressed.. so before I new it all the weight piled back on with an added 4lbs! I never felt like I was doing anything wrong as I have never eaten a big quantity of food. I would also never have breakfast and lunch. I generally never went over 2000 calories when having bad food unless I had a shaketastic milkshake. (about twice a month) and without I was eating about 400 a day. I also have PCOS which promotes weight gain.

This time I am taking it so slowly! I am eating more food but better healthier foods. I am drinking more water and exercising. My progress is extremely slow at an average of 0.5lb a week.. but I would be able to keep this up, if not... the only thing i'd do is eat less... so i'm pretty confident i wont be at my highest again :)
  • dentedearmuffs1
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. It's amazing to hear how honest people are with MFP and moreover, with themselves. And it's inspiring to hear that people have such willpower to start back up again. If people can do that, I can certainly have the willpower to keep going!
  • Jeneanhh
    Jeneanhh Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I lost 110 lbs and kept it off for 2 years then I stopped tracking my food and stopped exercising and I gained 70 of it back. It was very clear to me at that time that you just cant loose the weight and do nothing from there on out and maintain. this truly is a "lifestyle" and something you will need to do for the rest of your life if you want to keep the weight off.