BOO Target! /rant

Options
pixiesx3
pixiesx3 Posts: 172 Member
BOO Target!
With people becoming more health conscious, not providing nutritional information on your freshly prepared foods is irresponsible. Not having this information available on your products, at the deli, on the website, or at your call center is inexcusable.

Yes, I know I could make my own food but when you are suddenly working a full day instead of half and need lunch... Or whatever! It's just yummier when someone else makes it sometimes! LOL

/rant

Replies

• shelley2shane
    shelley2shane Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree, I am always looking for nutritional info. on everything!!!!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    This is true for all supermarkets, the deli is not required to provide that information any more than a restaurant is. It is frustrating though.
  • AliceKlaar
    AliceKlaar Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Have you tried contacting them directly about this? A bit of "pester power" might make all the difference!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It's extremely annoying! Furthermore, when they don't really even have the ingredients listed such that you can tell how something is prepared. Grrr!
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I love Wegmans, all their deli food has calorie information on it - makes it easy to grab a quick, healthy meal.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    As someone who eats out more often than not, I fully support this.
  • demonNIИ
    demonNIИ Posts: 187
    Options
    Especially when a chain lunch spot like Zoup won't tell you the SODIUM!! rrghh it's just as important maybe even more so than calories!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    When something has to be "made", the measurement of ingredients surely aren't that accurate. For example, go to Subway and order a sandwich. Now with the probable exception of the bread and maybe the sliced meat and cheese, they DON'T measure any of the condiments or other items put on the sandwich, so that could have a big difference in total calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kristalfrissy
    kristalfrissy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I picked up something from the deli once (I don't even remember what it was now) and it didn't have the nutritional value info either. Just the ingredients list. BUT it did have a bar code. I scanned that barcode since MFP allows you to do that and the info popped into my phone. So it might not work with Target--but you might try.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to eat healthy then it shouldn't matter what the nutritional information is at Target's deli. Cookies, Pizza Hut, hot dogs, icees and soda is all I've ever seen offered. This shouldn't be an issue.

Go to their food section and buy some fruit.
  • poetinmyheart
    poetinmyheart Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to eat healthy then it shouldn't matter what the nutritional information is at Target's deli. Cookies, Pizza Hut, hot dogs, icees and soda is all I've ever seen offered. This shouldn't be an issue.

Go to their food section and buy some fruit.

They have cut fruit, salads, meats, breads, sushi, etc at the deli. It may not all be ideal, but there are options there.
  • karmah2771
    karmah2771 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love Wegmans, all their deli food has calorie information on it - makes it easy to grab a quick, healthy meal.

I have gotten some of their foods that do not have the information on them. (Balsamic cherries in the cheese department was one of them.) I emailed them and they sent me the information for it... eventually. Lol. But they did get it to me, it was just about a week later. So if anyone needs to know Wegmans' Balsamic Cherries info, I have it. :)

I know that there are a lot of places out there that do not have their nutritional information available. I wanted the info for Movie Tavern (they serve actual food and not just popcorn) and they do not have this information available at all. Apparently it is not a requirement.

My husband thinks that part of the reason a lot of places do not have it (only listing ingredients in prepared food and not calories, etc.) is fear of being sued. That someone might test their foods for the amount of calories, etc. and sue over the differences.

Personally I really appreciate the information as it helps me to make better choices.
  • ShaunnaM
    ShaunnaM Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i agree it would be better if it was legally required for everyone selling anytype of food who knows maybe the obesity rate would go down even for kids if parents started noticing whats in the food their kids are eating , i am a mom and i had NO clue until i started counting calories and its shocking !!
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Have you tried contacting them directly about this? A bit of "pester power" might make all the difference!

I've called and talked to a deli manager at Target to inquire about the nutritional info in their salads. I was told that she was surprised they didn't have it, and hadn't realized before that it wasn't on the container. When she got out the book that tells them what to use and how much, the numbers were all zero. She ended up calling corporate to find out. She was only able to get one of them. She left the info at customer service for me. I was really busy and never made it to pick it up. :blushing:
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    i agree it would be better if it was legally required for everyone selling anytype of food who knows maybe the obesity rate would go down even for kids if parents started noticing whats in the food their kids are eating , i am a mom and i had NO clue until i started counting calories and its shocking !!

I doubt it would help. There is nutritional information on things like pop tarts and potato chips, but it doesn't stop parents from feeding it to their kids.
  • pantsdailyon
    pantsdailyon Posts: 173 Member
    Options

I doubt it would help. There is nutritional information on things like pop tarts and potato chips, but it doesn't stop parents from feeding it to their kids.

This. And what the poster above said re: Subway. And the fact that every time a restaurant changed vendors for various ingredients, they'd have to recalculate the calories in the finished product. It's too costly. I don't think it's a good idea to *require* anybody to provide this info.

That said, wouldn't this fall under Section 4205 of "Obamacare"? Target certainly has enough locations to fall under the requirement. Maybe deli items don't fall under "standard menu items"?
  • mendenhall428
    Options
    To echo what someone else mentioned, have you tried scanning the barcode with your MyFitnessPal app? I have come across the same frustration at the prepared foods sections of Kroger and Fresh Market. However, I can scan the barcode on almost all of the products and the nutrition information pops up. It has been a huge help!

EDIT --
    Maybe it's just me, because I eat out at restaurants pretty infrequently so calorie counts there aren't as much of a concern. However, when you do treat yourself to a night out, surely we can tell from the menu what's probably healthy and what isn't. Kids' menus are almost always made up of fried chicken fingers, French fries, and mac 'n' cheese. How is it a shocker to so many that these are calorie-laden? Take control of what you eat. You can ask how foods are prepared in the restaurant and request that oils, butter, etc. be limited. Eat half and take the rest home. Educate yourself on portion sizes of meat and fish, and how many calories are in that portion size. Take some personal responsibility. That is all :)
  • daisyhougan
    daisyhougan Posts: 52
    Options
    I'm kinda new to MFP as I've only been here a month or so. I love that I can go to Wegmans and look at the prepared food/deli section and they'll have the calorie counts for the meals and sides. Would I prefer to make my own dinners and lunches when I can? Yeah, of course, and then life happens and it helps having something that I'll eat that has less sodium than frozen food and less potentially caloric than McDonald's.
    I wish restaurants would post nutritional information. I know it's not convenient for them, in case suppliers or menu items change, but the truth is that I can't imagine going back to the old days of being blissfully unaware of how many calories I'm eating. Eating out at least occasionally is part of long-term life. Since I can't imagine going back to being blissfully unaware of how many calories I'm consuming so even after losing weight, I'll probably always want to try to make choices that will fit within my calories (whatever number that may be). Can I guess? Sure. Can I ask the waitress and make the best choices possible? Of course. Will it kill me if I'm wrong....or even over my calories for a day No....but I like to know as much as possible so that at least I'm aware of the damage that I've done. I feel like if I log my calories in religiously, I put more thought into what I eat and will think twice about what I choose to eat. It'd be great if chain places that serve food could provide nutritional information. I"d be a lot more likely to spend my money there.