Im about to begin biking 12 miles to work 3 times a week.

Options
According to MFP, 40 minutes of biking burns about 300 calories, so in total I'd be looking at burning 600 calories on the days I bike. Something about that makes it hard to believe. I've got friends who are biking up to 40 miles a day still with huge guts. I dont' know if I really want to be eating back any of these calories above my 1400, because it's commuting for work and not really exercise. Plus I work a desk job in which I sit all day.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Adjust your activity level rather than log and eat back the calories. If it is something you are doing every day (and I'd say 5 times a week counts as every day pretty much) then you should incorporate it in your TDEE really.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Enjoy! I love cycle commuting. My trip is 30 km or about 18.5 miles each way and I feel so refreshed when arrive (into a nice hot shower!) It has helped my cardio and weight loss.
  • fajitatx
    fajitatx Posts: 36
    Options
    Of their 40 miles on the bike, how much of that is actually pedaling? As looking at how the bikes at the gym work, if you are not pedaling the bike pretty much slows down the whole gear mechanism. Whereas you build up inertia and can coast for long distances on a real bike.

Something to think about when logging your activity as well.
  • kaleas
    kaleas Posts: 200
    Options
    We ride fixed gears here, so it's always pedaling. It's even more strenuous because you can't shift gears while going up and down hills. The rides around outside the city are rather hilly, so it's an incredible fitness workout when riding.

I also don't have access to a shower once I get there, so I'm just carrying a ton of baby wipes!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    It is exercise, and yes, I have also noticed overweight people cycling, and tried to figure it out, and guess they were still overeating hence cycling wont much help them. I have lost/maintained my weight from cycling a lot, and doing that amount daily will make a difference, and I definitely suggest adjusting your calories or you will get worn down pretty quickly.
  • Squeeks70
    Squeeks70 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am gong to begin riding my bike on my off days from the gym. My first ride was only 8.5 miles but it was refreshing. Have fun!
  • Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options
    If it's 12 miles each way your gonna have to eat when you get there and when you get back. Otherwise you will be tired!
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I wish I could do that!

My commute has far too much traffic and hazards.

Good luck with it!
  • Jenncoc86
    Jenncoc86 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My Mother did this and she really enjoyed it, i would give it a try
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    Unless you are just cruising, you will lose weight (as long as you are running a calorie deficit). Pedaling or not, its all about heart rate when it comes to burning calories. If you have a decent cyclometer with a heart rate monitor such as Garmin Edge, then you will get a more accurate count.
    Biking is awesome! I am sure you will love it. Watch out for those @#$%^ drivers who think they own the road!
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    A few years ago I did that for a summer, four days a week, 55 minutes each way for almost two hours a day. AT the time I didn't count calories, its the only time I recall losing significant amount of weight. I was in great shape at the end of the summer.
  • rgoodearl
    rgoodearl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Actually 40 minutes on the bike for me will result in about 600 cal burn...but I am 6'5" and 225 lb. I bike 6 days a week and it is not uncommon to have burns way over 1000 cals...also I do still have a bit of a gut (not as large as in my previous life!) I wish I could bike to work...but to far :ohwell:
  • jasharp021
    jasharp021 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Slightly off topic but what kind of bike did you get? I've wanted to get a bike but not sure where to start!
  • Anonymou5
    Options
    Type of bike is going to depend on what type of riding you are going to do.

If your going to be offroad across fields, mud, loose gravel etc. A mountainbike with front suspension might be the best choice.

If your going to be on roads and lose gravel, some back tracks etc. A Cyclo cross bike would probably suit you best.

If your going to be riding on smooth roads or smooth paths then a road bike would be best.

Which bike depends on budget!!
  • CleanandLean33
    Options
    I cycled to work (1.5 hours each way) for 3 months last year and didn't lose any weight which surprised me... although I admit i was not counting kcal at that time.

I did notice my thighs were more toned but also bulked up a bit which was a bit annoying as I am already a little thick there so it might be worth balancing with other exercise to help stretch and get a leaner look.

I did really enjoy getting out on my bike each morning and it was quite addictive and freeing but as I work in central London I found it a bit stressful as well due to road rage and ended up coming off in November which really put me off. I'd strongly reccomend you wear a helmet cos even if it does not protect you from big crashes it certainly stopped my nose and face being dragged on the road when I came off for which I was very thankful.

Sorry that sounds a little negative... if you live anywhere with nice cycle paths/ quiet roads and away from stressed pedestrians and car drivers I would highly recommend it as as well as being great exercise its good fun and cheap which can't be said about many forms of communting to work!! :-)
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I think its great that you're riding to work, my wife just did this morning, her first time. I disagree with those thay say you need to eat more, its only 12 miles. Just eat your normal breakfast, and that should energize you. Pack lunch and carry water, of course.

I bike a lot, and I log anything over 10 miles. I use 30 or 35 calories/mile as my estimate, depending on intensity and amount of hill climbing involved. I am a 190 lb male.
  • Anonymou5
    Options
    If you ride hard over 12 miles you are going to need to replenish any glycogen lost from your muscles so your ready to ride home!!
  • jammasterduggs
    Options
    i cycle to work everyday and its only 3 miles - it takes less than 15 minutes and i put in the generic info ...if i was you i would eat back the work done as it will re fuel you and either eat back again later (on the way home) or before you set out to give you a nice positive energy so u dont feel tired/sluggish and grasping at energy stores.

im office bound too so as long as you hit it hard on the way to work you have all that raised metabolism kicking over for the next few hours :)
  • neilisfat
    neilisfat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I commute 10 miles each way 3 to 4 times a week. A couple days a week I will stretch it out to a 35 or 40 mile trip.You will feel better mentally on the days you ride. Do it for that. The benefits on your diet will be a secondary bonus. The bike is the primary tool for my weight loss, I don't count calories. MFP does help me stay a little more honest with it. The riding is the instigator. I am down 25 since Febuary, with several pounds of lean mass built back up.

Enjoy the exposure, enjoy getting out of your 4 wheel cage.

Good job and good luck!.
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Slightly off topic but what kind of bike did you get? I've wanted to get a bike but not sure where to start!

Hi jasharp021, I noticed you were in Tampa. If I was you, I would go here:
    http://flyingfishbikes.com/

A friend of mine went to the Westchase store. Tell them you are new to biking. You will first off need to get measured so they can properly fit a bike to you, then decide what type of riding you want to do. There are quite a few choices. After deciding on "type of bike" factor into the cost the following:, computer for miles/speed, clothes, shoes, clips, water bottle cage(s), water bottle(s), seat back, flat repair kit w/Co2 cartridges, spare inner tube and lights. A lot of people get turned off by the cost of accessories, so plan ahead. I "pre-shopped" my accessories from Amazon, so my hit was pretty on target when I bought my road bike.

The cool thing about this store, is they have discounted bikes from last year and they also do a free fitting after you buy the bike. My local bike shop charges $150 for the fitting AFTER you buy it. They do a quick fitting for free, but the more detailed one is $150. Flying fish didn't charge my friend at all.

Any question, ask here or shoot me a message. I ride about 14 miles round trip 2 days per week. Then do about 40 on the weekends.