why do i keep getting the shakes???

Options
anybody any ideas why i keep getting the shakes?? i normally shake if i skip a meal and if i dont eat i go light headed, eye sight goes funny etc.....im putting it down to blood sugars being low as when it happens i crave chocolate and sugar.....but ive just done some housework and im starting to shake, even tho i've not long had breakfast!! i seen the doc about it a year or so ago and he said to eat things like porridge ( i eat that most mornings made with water) and pasta.....but it doesnt seem to help alot!!

when i started dieting in feb it seemed to be under control, but its started again the last week and im not eating any differently to what i did at the beginning.....was just wondering is this because i have a fast metabalism or do i need more complex carbs in my diet?

Replies

• stephl21uk
    stephl21uk Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HoHoHoBlueGiant2
    HoHoHoBlueGiant2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try having more protein/fat. I find that carbs, even the 'complex' ones leave me hungry almost immediately after I've eaten them.

My breakfast averages about 300 cals. When it's a protein shake or bacon, eggs and mushrooms etc I don't get hungry for 2 or 3 hours. Traditional cereal or toast etc, I'm hungry half an hour later and craving something sugary!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    make sure you are getting enough protein and carbs. The first few days of reducing carbs (for me), I got shaky a few times. When I took a look at my food diary, I realized that I had only eaten about 200 calories for breakfast, and almost no carbs. When I bumped it up to close to 400 calories plus about 20 carbs ( 9 from fiber) I haven't had a reccurence of the shakes.... despite doing the same workout ( that burns 500 calories)
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Your diary is a bit of a mess. Most days that u exercise u r way low on calories. Some days u skip meals which is bad. Other days u have 1000 calorie breakfast. I saw one day out of around 7 that appeared to be on track. So in general you're eating way to little or going too long between eating.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Your diary is a bit of a mess. Most days that u exercise u r way low on calories. Some days u skip meals which is bad. Other days u have 1000 calorie breakfast. I saw one day out of around 7 that appeared to be on track. So in general you're eating way to little or going too long between eating.

I agree with this. You have to have consistency in your diet or your metabolism soars all over the place and your body is thrown into confusion. You're also not getting enough protein, which helps you to feel more full throughout the day. I think you need to shift your calories further up in the day, as in, you need to be eating a more hearty breakfast and midday meal.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If you suffer mainly in the mornings, have a bigger breakfast (make your porridge with milk and add honey perhaps) and/or a mid-morning snack. I get ocular migraines if I don't eat mid-morning, which is also a low blood-sugar symptom.

Also as others have said try to be more consistent day-to-day and try to get in MFP's recommended calorie goal, including a good proportion of your exercise calories.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

I agree with this. You have to have consistency in your diet or your metabolism soars all over the place and your body is thrown into confusion. You're also not getting enough protein, which helps you to feel more full throughout the day. I think you need to shift your calories further up in the day, as in, you need to be eating a more hearty breakfast and midday meal.

I third this too. Last week I was getting the lightheaded dizzy feeling and when I went back and looked over my diary for the past few weeks I was always under goal by a good few hundred cals and worse on exercise days. I've made a concious effort this week to eat "at least" my goal intake and I feel much better, have more energy and have not been dizzy or lightheaded once (granted it is only wednesday)
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    Sounds like your body is low on something. You might want to go see a nutritionist and see if you need to add certain vitamins or minerals to your diet. Also looks like you need more protein. I added magnesium to my diet and it helped a lot with feeling light headed. I also keep low calorie healthy snacks with me all the time and eat little meals throughout the day.
  • cgray
    cgray Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Sounds like low blood sugar. Keep some lifesavers handy for emergencies. Skipping meals and eating too few calories can be the cause.
  • stephl21uk
    Options

I third this too. Last week I was getting the lightheaded dizzy feeling and when I went back and looked over my diary for the past few weeks I was always under goal by a good few hundred cals and worse on exercise days. I've made a concious effort this week to eat "at least" my goal intake and I feel much better, have more energy and have not been dizzy or lightheaded once (granted it is only wednesday)

think i agree with this, over last 3 weeks my meals have been all over the place....back on track from this week tho, coz prior to these 3 weeks it was always steady......i always give myself a 'day off' tho on a friday or saturday x
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Have you been tested for diabetes?
  • stephl21uk
    Options
    Have you been tested for diabetes?

yes i get tested as my mum is diabetic, but if it was the start of diabetes it would be other way round my sugars would be mega high as i wouldnt have the insulin to break them down xx
  • dollaqie
    dollaqie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Try a small piece of cheese with some bovril or marmite on it, sounds like blood sugar low, that normally helps for me!!
  • MCrome
    MCrome Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I shake all the time so if anyone does have any sugggestions bring them this way. :)