My First 2 miles!...Very Slow....

Options
gretchenwb
gretchenwb Posts: 70 Member
Yesterday I jogged up and down hills 2 miles in 32 minutes....a 16 minute mile:laugh: ....and I DID NOT STOP! After reading yesterday about all the slow weight losses (I am one of them....4 # in 4 months) I am determined to keep it up. I am eating better, feeling better, and am trying weight training today. I have never done it, don't know if I will like it, but I never thought I would jog either! Let's "run the race " friends!

Replies

• allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! I start couch to 5k today and I don't know if I ever will be able to run. You are a great inspiration!
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    GOOD JOB! Running is hard es[ecially hills. Even a 16 minute mile is something to be proud of doing! Keep up the good work
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! I start couch to 5k today and I don't know if I ever will be able to run. You are a great inspiration!
    Oh yes you will! It just takes time and practice! Don't start too fast and let your body build up.
  • shel1103
    shel1103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I jogged up and down hills 2 miles in 32 minutes....a 16 minute mile:laugh: ....and I DID NOT STOP! After reading yesterday about all the slow weight losses (I am one of them....4 # in 4 months) I am determined to keep it up. I am eating better, feeling better, and am trying weight training today. I have never done it, don't know if I will like it, but I never thought I would jog either! Let's "run the race " friends!

The fact that you pushed yourself to finish the 2 miles is huge. Keep it up, that's amazing and it will pay off.
  • AbbyCar
    AbbyCar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    We all have to start somewhere! Good job!
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's how to get started! Good for you!
  • leane00
    leane00 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Well done :) running for any lenght of time as a non runner is an accomplishment in itself! :)
  • lakeena01
    lakeena01 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Your post just made me feel better. I am not doing as well as I want to be and it is my own fault. This is so hard because I do not enjoy it but I dislike being unhealthy and out of shape more! Congratulations on your 2 miles!
  • kazza2cats
    kazza2cats Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Well done!!! I love to hear about people starting to run. Good luck with it and I hope like me you catch the running bug :flowerforyou:
  • sljkwright
    sljkwright Posts: 2
    Options
    Great job! I too see this journey as a marathon, not a sprint, God Speed!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Good job!! No matter how fast or slow you go you are still running! The most important part is that you are accepting new challenges. Without challenging ourselves we will never change right?

I ran a 5km race in 38mins two weeks ago - which is 2mins better than my first 5km race in March.
    I know people that can run a 10km in that amount of time. That being said, I am still proud! I never considered myself a runner but I do now...and it nice to see that I am improving! That my hard work is paying off.

Good luck!
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Any amount of running is an accomplishment. Everyone starts somewhere and you are doing amazing! Keep it up.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I have been building up and now after a year I go between 2 and 3 miles most days about 4 miles per or 15 minutes so you did great keep it up
  • MsFargo
    MsFargo Posts: 27
    Options
    Good job on the jogging..you'll get quicker in less time than you think (just don't be afraid to push yourself a little). As for doing some weight lifting, I found the book "The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises" (www.amazon.com) both affordable and full fo great ideas and tips. Finally - as for the 4# in 4 months - don't under estimate the power of good nutrition. I've read (and it's my personal experience) that without good nutirition I struggle to lose the weight and keep it off...and a daily multi-vitamin is no substitute for food. Just my 2 cents...for what it's worth.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Great job on the hill running. That's a great burn for sure.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Excellent Job!!! Now, when you go for a run on flats it will be a piece of cake:wink:
  • jayele72
    jayele72 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Keep it going!

I started running this March when my wife convinced me to run a 7K with her. I ran just over 15min miles and walked a lot of it. Since then, I ran a 10k in Minneapolis logging in 12min50sec miles and yesterday I ran 3.18miles (5K) and logged in 12min20sec miles! I've only been running for 2ish months! I started MFP at about the same time and am down to 185 from 200.

Keep it going! Keep it going! Keep it going!
  • mdpiper
    mdpiper Posts: 3
    Options
    Great job. When I first started my C25K in April I thought I would never be able to run a 5k. Finished my first 5k last weekend and moved on to training for the 10k. Keep up the great work. You can do it.
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    It gets easier, and you will get faster.

When I started here six months ago I could barely WALK 2 miles without a break. But I stuck with it and build up endurance and speed. Last month I walked my first 5K and had a pace of a 16:41 mile (admittedly that was without hills). I never thought I'd say this, but I may be ready to try running.

Congratulations on your first 2 miles! I see many more miles in your future!
  • gretchenwb
    gretchenwb Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You MFP folks are great! Thank you for the encouragement. For new runners, I probably should add that I skip a day between jogs to rest and recover and prevent injury. All the good advice is appreciated, it is another reason I love this site...you folks who are ahead, helping those of us coming behind you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!