Food Intolerances

Options
Hey everyone,
So over the past year I have been dealing with numerous health issues, most of which involve my stomach. I went on an elimination diet and discovered that gluten was a huge culprit. I have since cut out gluten and I talked to my Dr. about this and he agreed with my symptoms but I didn't want to pay for the celiac test because my insurance sucks and oftentimes the tests for celiac are inconclusive.
But last night I had some natural peanut butter and awoke with similar stomach problems. Stomach discomfort, gas (that could kill someone), and bloating. I read online that these can also be signs of a nut, or peanut, intolerance or allergy. Very similar to the problems I feel when I eat gluten. I hadn't had peanut butter in a while because, well, self control with it is hard for me because it's just so delicious. I'm wondering...

1) Anyone else with food allergies/intolerance have similar symptoms when it comes to peanut butter?
2) Anyone with strict diets due to health problems, would you add me? I could use some support as I try to steer clear of these foods!

Replies

• cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I cannot have nuts, especially peanuts, because of a food intolerance. I always got stomach aches from eating peanut butter as a kid, and my parents just thought I was weird. Nope! Food intolerance. I'll add you :) (If it helps, my intolerance also expanded to complex animal proteins - pork and beef, and also eggs)
  • sarahreischel
    Options
    Thank you! That is good to know. I also feel a bit congested this morning and am wondering if that's from the nuts. I think these things have bothered me for a while, but I've been avoiding it because I LOVE peanut butter. Almonds also make my throat scratchy, but I've just dealt with that. I suppose if I really cut out all these things making me sick, my body will be much better in the long run.

Have you ever done a detox after eating one of the intolerant foods? Thinking about doing some sort of cleanse to get it all out of my system...
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Once I figured out what was bothering me, I just stopped eating it. But if I do happen to have a reaction (often happens if I eat out somewhere and forget to ask if anything has nuts/eggs!), I just eat light for the few days afterward to help my body readjust. I also get a lot of fiber in my diet though so my body naturally regulates itself, really.