donuts =(

Options
i ate donuts today and i feel like everyday i eat at least one piece of junk food! how do you fight that?

Replies

• dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I can think of a few possibilities.

First is to find an alternative. Possible a banana or an apple?

If you are stopping somewhere for coffee and ????, maybe they have a healthy alternative such as a fruit cup.

You can also plan for a donut once a week or every few days rather than have it everyday.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    ummm... I eat something I like daily.

I like sugar free jello cups... amazing!
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a bit of a sweet tooth. You need to find an alternative that is also sweet. The jell-o mentioned above or yogurt. It's okay to hit the donut once a week, though. It will help with any cravings.
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    find power in saying the word NO. this realization changed the way i make food choices.. granted there will be days when you say yes and indulge on french fries... but more often that not.. saying NO will become easier.. and you'll see your body change... sounds silly.. but its been working for me..
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I have something sweet treat like daily I just figure it into my macros! I figure I am not going to give this stuff up for life so I just work it in in moderation =)
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I make it fit into my calorie count if I'm craving something.
    Since I've started doing that I haven't binged at all, going on two weeks now.

I eat a piece of chocolate, pudding, or a granola bar almost everyday.

=] don't worry if it fits, of course you shouldn't let it replace more nutrient rich foods but as long as you meet your goals why shouldn't you have something you like?
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    One piece of junk every day is better than 5 pieces of junk every day. Or 10.

Don't beat yourself up over it. Guilt leads to more slip-ups, because it makes you feel like a failure, and if you're failing, why bother trying, right? But you're not failing just because you had a donut. It's a donut. It's not concentrated evil you're ingesting. You're fine. Enjoy it, and move on. Then think about your priorities. Can you achieve your goals while still eating something like a donut every day? Does it fit into your calorie goals? Does it make you feel good? What would happen if you said no to that donut? Would you be ok with it? My rule is that I no longer eat anything that I don't TRULY enjoy, just because it's there. And honestly, I don't truly enjoy a lot of junky stuff. But that's ME. If you truly enjoy it, and you can work it into your daily calorie goals, go ahead and enjoy it.

It's all about priorities, not guilt.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    unfortunately i just had to learn to say no to stuff like that because for me one is too many and 1000 is not enough. once i get started it's hard to stop so i just don't get started. get some coffee, bring a protein bar, anything to get your mind off of it.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    i ate donuts today and i feel like everyday i eat at least one piece of junk food! how do you fight that?

I used to eat 3-5 snacks a day, now, zero.

I just stopped. I bring my food/snacks to work now though.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I can't have junk in my house or I'll eat it. I do however treat myself to 'unhealthy' foods once in a while but I keep it within my calorie count or exercise more for it. That way I don't feel deprived or consider myself to be on a 'diet'. I also only purchase one serving or make something, eat one serving and share the rest.
    One thing I had to tell myself when I first started this new lifestyle is that each time I deny myself something that is bad for me, I become a stronger person! I thought of that while watching my husband eat a whole bag of cinnamon caramel corn! I had a choice, rip his head off or be stronger. lol Now he's on MFP with me and he's lost 25lbs himself. :)
    Good luck!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Build it into your day by planning and logging it or abstain.

If you choose to abstain but feel weak I would suggest you log it to see how much damage it will make to your day. I you feel it is worth it, eat it and enjoy it. If you feel it's not then you just "say no".
  • LCBinGA
    LCBinGA Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    One piece of junk every day is better than 5 pieces of junk every day. Or 10.

Don't beat yourself up over it. Guilt leads to more slip-ups, because it makes you feel like a failure, and if you're failing, why bother trying, right? But you're not failing just because you had a donut. It's a donut. It's not concentrated evil you're ingesting. You're fine. Enjoy it, and move on. Then think about your priorities. Can you achieve your goals while still eating something like a donut every day? Does it fit into your calorie goals? Does it make you feel good? What would happen if you said no to that donut? Would you be ok with it? My rule is that I no longer eat anything that I don't TRULY enjoy, just because it's there. And honestly, I don't truly enjoy a lot of junky stuff. But that's ME. If you truly enjoy it, and you can work it into your daily calorie goals, go ahead and enjoy it.

AMEN!! SING IT!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Next time just eat the hole.

More seriously, save some calories for a daily treat.
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    It's a donut. It's not concentrated evil you're ingesting. You're fine. Enjoy it, and move on. Then think about your priorities.

Perfect!
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I still have donuts on a regular basis... but the difference is that I get the ones from Holey Donuts. They're shipped frozen and kept in the freezer until you want one. It's a win-win for me -- they're out of sight but there when I want one, they don't taste like they're low fat/low calorie, and they're so freaking EXPENSIVE that I think twice before having one! :laugh:
  • steflbrown
    steflbrown Posts: 168
    Options
    If you keep under your calorie limit, one "small" bad food is not going to be the end of the world. I believe in portion size. I eat ALMOST everything I want but all in portions and always try to stay at or below my calorie intake limit.
  • Shoshannah68
    Options
    I'm a binger too. I can go weeks without doing it and then WHAM! I've ruined a weeks worth of good eating!
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I try to make do with fruit. When in doubt, though, I just go on the Tim Hortons website and check out their very handy, if depressing, nutrition calculator. My supper last night, which was quite filling, had less calories than two old fashioned glazed donuts. I'm not saying it works all the time - I do have my breakdowns - but realizing just how bad donuts are definitely helps me opt for apples or grapes.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    unfortunately i just had to learn to say no to stuff like that because for me one is too many and 1000 is not enough. once i get started it's hard to stop so i just don't get started. get some coffee, bring a protein bar, anything to get your mind off of it.

Very true!!
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Instead of eating a donut, pretend to eat a donut?
    I think thats what Karl Lagerfeld did... except with all food, not just sugar...

*Nibbles on plum