ADD and Exercise

Options
I know this sounds crazy, but I have ADD and it even spills into my daily workouts! I LOVE BeachBody programs like Turbo Jam, Turbo Fire and P90X, and also the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution, but the problem is sticking to the plan! I work out at least Monday through Friday and love the release and feeling accomplished. The problem I am running into is that after a couple weeks into a program, I want to change to something else! How do I deal with this? I mean, is it ok as long as I continue to work out every day?

I know this might sound weird, but I appreciate any help or advise! Thanks! SQUIRREL! Lol!!!

Replies

• DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Nope not weird at all....I am ADD too! And its about committment. YOU CAN DO IT!!! That said I am really bad about quitting because I want to change it up ect.

What has changed this time for me regarding finishing P90X is that I am making it part of my daily routine. I might be ADD but I do keep to a pretty predictable routine of Coffee, Taking the kids to school, Coffee, Internet, house work, and I do this EVERY DAY, even saturdays. For the next 21 days I have devoted myself to adding working out into the mix btween INternet and Housework. LOL.

My suggestion for you is try and find where you are consistent. Do you do something EVERYDAY. Now add the working out, and say...I WILL FINISH. Its really not that long, only 12 weeks. IN 12 weeks I will still drink Coffee at the same every morning with teh same exact coffee creamer, and eat breakfast at the same time....why not do a work out program for that long.

It also helps that I have registered for teh Beach Body Challenge and log my work outs in the Super Gym. I scheduled all of the work outs in advanced, so each time I do one the calendar block changes color. I can see the work outs I have completed and all of the future ones.

Denise (who would love the support of some more ADD adults)
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    SQUIRREL!

I have ADD pretty bad. I also have "something else" going on as my interests are very specific and I get obsessed with new things.. and when the newness wears off I am on to something else.

My biggest issue is I don't like weight lifting or doing anything that causes pain. I love yoga/stretching and running but I get so bored of pushing metal up and down. So I hear you 100%.

Our problem is that buying new exercise programs is expensive.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's okay. It's actually good for your body to switch your exercise routine around a lot. It keeps it from getting too routine. That's why I get most of my workout DVDs from the library. By the time I'm bored with them it's time to return them and get something new :wink: Oh, and it's free.

Ooooo shiney...
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    That's why I get most of my workout DVDs from the library. By the time I'm bored with them it's time to return them and get something new :wink: Oh, and it's free.

^^^ A lot of libraries have pretty impressive video collections, and this might work well for you.

If your local library lacks such a resource, maybe you could record some workout programs from TV? Public Broadcast stations often broadcast workout videos in the morning, set your recorder and build your own collection of stuff you can rotate around.

Networks like Freecycle are also a valuable resource - you can offer up stuff you're bored of and ask anyone if they have anything they are bored of. Craigslist might also have local listings from people who are bored of a workout DVD and willing to sell it for a greatly discounted price, or offer you some cash for your old workout DVDs. You might even find a few people willing to sustain a continual tradeoff of workout materials through either of those methods.

Once you get to know a workout, you may also be able to "keep it fresh" by playing different music during the workout.

I don't know if Netflix or similar offer workout videos, but that might be a decent solution for not too much money.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    What was the question?

Just keep switching it up. Whatever keeps you going. I have multiple things I do, but only a few I really like.
  • jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121
    Options
    HAH! SQUIRREL! People say that to me a lot!

It doesn't matter if you continue doing the same program or not...as long as you keep on working out.

I have ADHD....find I can do the same weight routine over and over, because I am listening to different music. I cannot handle doing exercise videos because the words and the music are the same every time. Maybe the trick is to do the dvd on mute and use your own music?
  • CdnPgnMom
    CdnPgnMom Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You're definitely not alone! My ADD not only affects my exercise but my eating, too. I have a hard time focusing on any one thing and get sidetracked so super easily that I "forget" to eat and/or workout. It's maddening! :(
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing, I get bored with the same program, so I will always switch it up. Just keep working out, you will still see the results.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I can't deal with DVD's (even though I own...a lot). That's why I zone out at the gym. For some reason, I can stay more focused there. Maybe because everyone is watching me.
  • mary_kate23
    mary_kate23 Posts: 156
    Options
    perhaps create yourself a reward system? like for each week accomplished, or every two weeks sticking to the plan, have a pre-laid out reward for yourself - whether it be a yummy meal or a night out somewhere or a new pair of shoes... maybe that would help move things along?
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I get bored in the middle of a work out. If I have to do something for more than 15 minutes I'm over it.

Do intervals!!! 10 min run 10 min elliptical 10 min weight life than repeat until all reach 30 minutes.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Switch around if you need to! I also get bored doing the same program and then I end up quitting, so for summer I made myself a schedule that includes a couple different programs. I'm mixing bike riding, elliptical, chalean extreme, Insanity, and 30 day shred so I don't get bored with any one program or workout!
  • greene89
    greene89 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am the same, I need NEW all the time, so I get tons of FREE workout vids online, here is where to get it:
    on youtube type in befit in 90 OR excersizetv OR livefitness

TONS OF FREE VIDS and playlists and you can hit the filter button on youtiube to show only longer vids
  • greene89
    greene89 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah and if you feel like you need a plan instead of doing someone eles made plan like p90x just make your own, that has like monday is a certain cardio dvd and tuesday you go for a walk and wednesday you go biking and thursday you do a different vid, thats what I did before when I lost the 45 lbs a few years ago.

I would have something like this:
    Monday = jillian 30 day shred dvd
    tues = 60 min walk
    wed = tea bo workout dvd
    etc...
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    HAH! SQUIRREL! People say that to me a lot!

It doesn't matter if you continue doing the same program or not...as long as you keep on working out.

I have ADHD....find I can do the same weight routine over and over, because I am listening to different music. I cannot handle doing exercise videos because the words and the music are the same every time. Maybe the trick is to do the dvd on mute and use your own music?

This is what I do. I mute the DVD's or put them on "Que only" and play my own music over them. I am more worried about what play list I am going to make to keep things "Fresh".
  • kskye82
    kskye82 Posts: 56
    Options
    YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And you all made me laugh too! Thanks soooooo much for the encouraging words! And I feel SO much better knowing that I don't HAVE to follow a workout schedule with any specific plan! If I can make my own, I am MUCH happier! I want to switch and not be chained to a specific workout or program, because that is where I fail!

Please feel free to add me as a friend on here!!!!!