Using Fine China Dishes

Options
neverstray
neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
When my ex and I split, I just left the house. When I left the house, I had nothing; no furniture, nothing. I first moved into a friends apartment that was fully furnished because she pretty much lived with her boyfriend.

When I got my first apartment, I moved in but had nothing. No bed, no couch, no tv, no dishes :-). But, people started giving me things. So, on the dishes...

A few friends had given me dishes. A few plates here a few coffe cups there, some forks. You know, just whatever people had that they could spare. At the time, that was awesome and super helpful. Also, at the same time, my father gave me a whole set of Notitake fine china, like a place setting for 16 or something. So, I've been looking in my cupboards, and I'm kind of sick of all the random pieces and was considering just using the china everyday. However, I understand that you can't put it in the dishwasher. That's a deal killer. I also discovered that you can't put it in the microwave due to the gold on it. Lol.

But, my question is, why can't you put it in the dishwasher. What happens if I do?

Replies

• Talialala
    Talialala Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Well it kind of depends on your china. If its like a more modern china (recently bought/owned in past decade) you should be able to dish wash it. Just be careful that they are spaced apart bc china chips easily. Also, if there is metal (gold/silver/et cetera) you should avoid any dry cycles. It will just soften that metal in the china and it'll scratch right off.

Best bet, dollar store :) Unless you realy like eating off that china. I save my china for family dinner night and use my ikea plates for the rest of the week.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Well it kind of depends on your china. If its like a more modern china (recently bought/owned in past decade) you should be able to dish wash it. Just be careful that they are spaced apart bc china chips easily. Also, if there is metal (gold/silver/et cetera) you should avoid any dry cycles. It will just soften that metal in the china and it'll scratch right off.

Best bet, dollar store :) Unless you realy like eating off that china. I save my china for family dinner night and use my ikea plates for the rest of the week.

All of that. We have a nice looking matching set of dishes from WalMart that we use on a regular basis....they match, look nicer than they actually are, and we can put them in the microwave/dishwasher. My grandmother has this huge china cabinet with our old family china in it that will become mine when I get married. I don't really plan on eating off of it ever except maybe like Christmas or Thanksgiving dinners.

This sounds real dumb (even to me, saying it to myself), but I'm kinda excited about inheriting the family China when I eventually get married. And that is my girl moment of the day.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Older china glazes can't take being in a dish washer. The pattern will wear off over time. Save the good china for 'best' and get a modern set for day to day use. You can get some really nice sets in supermarkets nowadays & they dont cost much.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    I hand wash all of my dishes regardless and do sometimes choose to eat off of china and drink out of crystal. But I'm a pretentious snob.
    -wtk
  • neverstray
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I didn't get the whole story from my dad, but I think this is older handed down stuff. It's defintely hand painted and gold-plated.

Here's the deal, I've been on a minimlaist thing a little while, and it's getting more real. What that means is I'm not going to have two of anything anymore. I'm not going to have multiple sets of dishes for any reason. So, either I'm just going to use the china, or I'm getting rid of it. There's no saving it for nice dinners. That's silly to me. I know not everybody feels that way, and I totally respect that. I'm a little weird. But, I'm just not going to do it. So, that's my decision point right now. Keep it and use iut and religate myself to hand washing it, or just selling it, donating it, or trashing it. Hmmmmm. It's nice stuff, so I hate to get rid of it.
  • ElBo58
    ElBo58 Posts: 44
    Options
    Meh. I use "fine china" for our every day stuff. It was some that was passed down from some aunt and it's got gold edging and painting on it...It is probably from the 60s at the latest. It goes through the dishwasher fine, but it will crackle if you try to microwave on it.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Don't trash it! Norkitaki can be quite collectable, if you're going to get rid of it do some research first, it might be worth selling.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    the movement in the dishwasher will chip the clay and the painting will come off... we hand wash ours when we use them...
  • neverstray
    Options
    Thanks everyone. So, it's down to hand-wash or sell. Hmmmmm. I guess hand-washing would be cheaper. I'll prolly go that route.
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I put my china in the dishwasher. Nothing terrible happens. And if it does, then it isn't really worth having to me. Life is too short to pamper the dishes!
  • neverstray
    Options
    I put my china in the dishwasher. Nothing terrible happens. And if it does, then it isn't really worth having to me. Life is too short to pamper the dishes!

I think that way too. But, I hate to be disrespectful. My father gave me these dishes. He might expect a certain amount of care.

Ah, I hate this stuff. I am grateful, but sometimes, I don't want my family to ever help me because there are ramifications down the line. I could see dad coming over, "Hey, what happened to those dishes we gave you?" Argh.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Over time you may lose the print or some of the fine detail, due to harsh detergents. Some dishwashers may have a special dial setting for fine china. Also, cramming the china into a particular rack that is not designed for it, may also have adverse effects.
  • neverstray
    Options
    Cool, I've decided to use it daily. But, I'll hand wash it. I hand wash everything anyway and then put it in the dish washer. I've been considering just using the dishwasher as a drying rack, since it seems pointless to run it. I wonder if it would make a difference on my utility bills? Hmmmm.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Use it!
    For years, I moved around a full 8 piece Royal Doulton set from the 1960s that came from my grandmother - until one day I started eating off it. I can't put it in the microwave (as my husband has proved several times!) but I can cope with that.
    I've managed not to break a single piece in the 8 or so years that I've been using it, and it is nice to have that family connection - I remember her drinking her tea out of the teacups and serving us afternoon tea on the plates ("Aunt Nan's little cakes" is a famous cupcake recipe in my family).
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    If you ever chip one of the dishes then you could 'test' that one in the dishwasher a few times and see if anything happens to it.
  • ElBo58
    ElBo58 Posts: 44
    Options
    Use it!
    For years, I moved around a full 8 piece Royal Doulton set from the 1960s that came from my grandmother -

Did it have hand painted periwinkles?
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I've never had a dishwasher before and I hate doing dishes so...you can survive!