Hypothyroid And/or Tired Adrenals?

Options
Hi, everybody. I'd like to hear from people who have gone through this, so please answer from personal experience and with as little judgment as possible.

I am an amateur triathlete, planning on doing 4 events this year. In the last two years, I've done ChaLEAN Extreme, 2/3 of P90X2 (until tri season training started) and now have been training since the end of April for tri season. I have been hypothyroid for 16 years, since I had my first kid. I've done the high protein/low carb diet plan, the low fat plan, and now the whole foods, plant-based system. No matter what I have done, nor how fit I've gotten (because I'm fitter than I look), I cannot lose the weight.

It finally hit me a few weeks ago, this does not make sense, and I then realized how truly crappy I feel -- tired all the time, kind of depressed, and losing interest in things I'd usually be very interested in. Then I went to see my regular doctor. After first attempting to put me on Zoloft (antidpressant), she retested my thyroid, and sure enough, it was off again. I say again because she's adjusted it 3X in the past 18 months. I am seeing an M.D./D.O. the end of this month, but in doing some research about this topic, I found out about something called "tired adrenals" or "adrenal fatigue," and I'm wondering if that could be part of my problem.

If any of you have had these symptoms AND seen your way back to health, please post your experience here. It seems the more I do, the fatter I get. This past weekend, I biked for two hours AND hiked 90 mins on Sat, then hiked 90 mins again on Sunday; I gained two lbs. I did not eat perfectly, but I should have had some leeway, considering my activity level. There is no way I am eating enough to weigh this much.

I am beyond fatigued and feeling down now as I try to slog my way through what I absolutely have to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• mabennett
    mabennett Posts: 53
    Options
    i have nothing to offer but listening in here. i feel the same way, tired all the time!!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    i have hypothyroid and adrenal fatigue. for the thyroid..i take 60 mg of amour thyroid..and for the adrenal..i watch myself..if i am under lots of stress...i take stuff ..if not..it doesnt bother me. i do take my thyroid meds everyday at 4 am..regardless...otherwise i have trouble getting out of bed. i think the key is taking it before you wake up..and stuff..
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of that, and have no background in hypothyroidism.

But I was wondering-- have you thought about something like Lyme Disease? I know that can cause debilitating fatigue. Also Chronic Fatigue Syndrome comes to mind. Just a thought.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroid. Had a hemithyroidectomy for a golf-ball sized benign tumor last year. It took me from April until November to get my levels under control but I finally started losing weight in December. I have done well since then. I could not lose weight until my TSH was under 3.0. Talk to your doctor or see an endocrinologist for a more thorough evaluation. My doctor is a DO who also has hypothyroid so he is super understanding and sympathetic to my symptoms. I am still cold all the time but I can deal with that as long as I am not gaining weight. Good luck and add me if you need friends.
  • melindacronin
    Options
    I take thyroid meds as well.. From what I understand, those meds affect your iron levels as well, so iron supplements help as well. Not sure if that is an issue, but something to consider.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Thyroid is one of the hardest things to keep in line. All your life they will continue to test and adjust your medications according to your body. (I speak from experience) I have gone from 314 to 185 and back up to 206. I notice at times I am fatigued, and I talk to my doctor first to see if it is Thyroid, adrenal, or something eles. But my big revelation for me is that since I lost so much weight I also lost alot of muscle. Now that I am down closer to a resonable weight the scale is not what I need to concentrate on. I want to look healthy. I want muscle and curves (not fat, but muscle) I am losing in my clothes, but the scale has a tendency to go up.

Since you have already talked to your doctor, start assessing what you want your body to look like. If you want a certain weight, you need to cut down on the exercise and you will lose the muscle and fat, but you will weight less. No one is going to know your weight unless you tell them. Lie like we always do. If people think I weight 165-170, then to them I do. I don't care. Like I say, I want to have the firm curves. What do you want?
  • mkath4
    mkath4 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have been on meds for hyothyroidism since I was 18. I am 44 now. When I was first diagniosed I was always tired and cold. Meds did help. Now that I am older, I seem tired again. Have gone in and check my thyroid level and all is normal. I am sure part of that is having two active boys and our late evening at their sporting events. Are you on thyroid meds? If not see your doc.They do work to normalize your thyroid.
  • suzyrid
    suzyrid Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I completely understand! After suffering for years with most of the same symptoms you mentioned, along with being cold all of the time and not sleeping, I went to the Dr. only to be told maybe I am depressed. What? I was unable to lose weight and had no energy, in spite of the fact that I was exercising, and was COLD all of the time. I've recently being doing some reading on hypothyroidism and dare I say it......menopause! UGH! As a result I've started to eliminate wheat (I could go on and on about wheat) and sugars from my diet and added taking B-complex, Vitamin D, and L Lysine. My attitude has gotten better, I have more energy, night time is spent sleeping instead laying awake, and I've lost 5 pounds!!! I had paid to be a member of Weight Watchers for the past 4 months (nothing lost, in fact the first 2 weeks I gained!! And I was counting every morsel that went into my mouth.) and switched back to MFP along with making the above changes. I feel much better and am encouraged. I even started running again! Hopefully this provides you with some encouragement! I can't wait to tell my dr. how things are going let him know it wasn't in my head, but in my neck instead! I would love to hear what you learn about tired adrenals. Great job with the triathlons!
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    With me, I take Liothyronine 25mcg a day. It was prescribed to me because I suffer depression with anxiety, and most anti-anxiety medications will make you gain weight. After trying a couple anti-seizure medications, my provider decided to try the liothyronine.

There are two different hormones that are secreted by the thyroid. Most people with hypothyroidic conditions are familiar with Synthroid/Levothyroxine, as it is the common "go to" hormone to supplement. I did take it for a while several years ago when rehabilitating from starvation and refeeding syndrome, but it caused no lasting effects, and my thyroid still functioned fairly low.

Liothyronine (Cytomel) increases the second hormone, the one not replaced by Synthroid. I'm on it because the introduction to the system as a depression therapy causes an increase in seratonin levels... So, instead of relying on my Cymbalta to limit reuptake, we actually just created MORE seratonin.

This time, my energy levels are up and I'm happier but I'm not awake all night long like I was on Synthroid.

It IS possible that you need an antidepressant, but I would consider seeing an endocrinologist for an indepth look at your condition before starting a depression medication. If you have only ever taken Synthroid, you may actually need Cytomel to regulate your symptoms.

That's all I can really add, sorry I can't be of more help...
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    It's complicated. An Endocrinologist should test your T4 and T3 levels, plus antibodies that may interfere with T4 conversion to T3. You can have normal tests and still be out of balance. For years they told me I was normal with low T3. Also, the medication absorbtion rate can vary with individuals. Some people do better on Armour thyroid, more natural, but it made me gain weight. I'm on Levothyroxine(100mcg) and Liothyronine (5). I also do better cutting the caffeine because it pulls on the adrenals, as does being low thyroid. It's natural to push the adrenaline when you don't have normal energy, but the adrenals can't go forever like that. Hormones shifting can also cause bad fatigue, so check out estrogen and FSH levels. I'm sorry to say that I've studied this for decades and never found something that works well, but I seem to have a weird condition, or I don't respond to meds well.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    If possible, see an endocrinologist. I had thyroid cancer, so they removed my thyroid completely, so I am about as hypothyroid as one can be. :) Close monitoring of your levels will hopefully help.
  • nikkisa10
    nikkisa10 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have similar symptoms....I've had my thyroid tested & was told that it was normal...was diagnosed w/ Adrenal Fatigue by a Naturopathic Doc and my Primary doc said that is not REAL & dismissed it....after trying different methods & working out like crazy (I refuse to take prescription drugs if they can't figure out the casue of my symptoms), only to collaspe and can't move for a week, I found a schedule that works for me. I had to cut out starches & I work out 4 days a week to allow more time to rest. My schedule looks like this: S=rest, M=workout, T=rest, W=workout, Th=Rest, Fr=workout & Sat HIIT workout....I normally do about 56 mins in the A.M & 30 mins in the P.M. I've lost 10 lbs in two weeks so far. I'm going to continue because I feel so much better. If I hit a plateau I'll begin to re-introduce brown rice for my starch...Also, I discovered that I'm sensitive to wheat. Good luck to you! Hope that helps.
  • Finigan84
    Finigan84 Posts: 85
    Options
    I have had similar issues although my M.D. tells me my thyroid levels are normal I was suffering from fatigue, weight gain, hairloss, I even have a "hypothyroid look" to my face. I now see a naturopathic doctor who retested my blood and is now treating me holistically for adrenal fatigue and hypothyroidism. When I am on the medication and watching my diet I am able to lose weight, otherwise my scale remains frozen. The remedy I am taking for adrenal fatigue has improved my energy levels drastically and on a lower carb, higher protein diet I have finally been able to lose a bit of the weight I gained. Best of luck! Add me if you want :smile:
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience over 10 years ago but was not as focused on fitness back them. Initially my Dr prescribed an antidepressant but took me off it right away when my thyroid test results came in. I have been on Levoxyl since then with an increase in dosage about every 9-12 months as i understand once it slows down it just gets slower & slower over time. This has completely solved the fatigue and sluggishness. I also take 400mg of iron due to being extremely anemic. I learned that the iron interferes with the levoxyl so I need to take the iron 4-5 hrs after the levoxyl and also that a megadose of vitamin c improves the iron absorption. I hope this helps!!
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I had all of these issues in the past. Every day when I came home from work I would collapse on the couch. I was completely exhausted & depressed too. If you've ever been pregnant, it felt like the first trimester exhaustion, over and over again.

In fact, when I went to the doctor, her first guess was that I was pregnant. I wasn't. My B12 was off the charts low, the lowest my doctor had ever seen, she said. I started getting shots weekly and now just take 3000mcg of B12 daily.

Although you are being treated for Hypothyroid, do you think it could be your B12, has your doctor checked that?

Good Luck!
  • crodrigu73
    crodrigu73 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am also suffer from thyroid issues. I had read some where that in addition to thyroid supplements that there is an additional medicine that can be perscribed for people who's symptoms do not improve even though they reach a good TSH level. For the life of me I can find the article I was reading but I believe there is something more the doctors can do.
  • melbellkid
    melbellkid Posts: 72
    Options
    I am having the same exact problem-been stuck at the same weight for 4 months despite upping my workouts to between 1-2 hours a day 6-7 days a week, watching what I eat. Tried lowering calories, upping calories, doing different exercises to keep my body guessing...I was diagnosed in November and haven't been feeling well again for about 6 weeks. Im not supposed to go back for more bloodwork/ checkup til August, but I think I may have to go sooner. I am at a loss. I can gain 2-5 lbs overnight and have busted my rear end the day before!
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I know this is probably way off base here because you are way, way ahead of me in this “game”. My understanding of thyroid is that if you need meds you need meds regardless of what else you do so I’m in no way saying otherwise. My Thyroid is borderline and has been for some time. They tried me on meds and, as great as they sound, I don’t do very well with them. I had a friend who is also on synthroid and let me know with a nudge that if I wanted to lose a few extra pounds to just up my dose a bit. I would so love that but I just can't take the stuff.

What I love is the Gillian McKeith diet. I’ve been off and on for a few years and feel (and test) very different, for the better, when on. To support thyroid she recommends foods with iodine, tyrosine and zinc so that would be fish oil supplement, fish, sea vegetables, almonds, pumpkin seeds… She has suggestions for adrenal support as well. Her books are amazing and she has a wonderful website.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    bump to read later, i'm just going through all of this right now.