I need help with calories!

Options
jwuchef87
jwuchef87 Posts: 110 Member
OK. I've lost 10 pounds with the the calculations MFP has made for me. I worked out mon/wed/fri 30 min cardio every week(not eating the calories back). Now for the past 2 weeks i've been at the same weight, not losing anything and i'm getting super confused with all these posts about eat more to weigh less and i don't know what to do now. YES, I am afraid to eat more calories because I'm excited about my weight loss but I also don't want to sabotage myself. I changed my diet setting to lightly active and that upped my calories from 1390 to 1560. A) is that a proper calorie count for 3days of cardio (i burn about 300 per workout) B) do i need to eat back those calories if i've upped my activity level and the calories went up??? please help!! I want to do this right!!! Thank you!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. Two weeks is not a plateau.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I think that sounds good. You're body may gain weight a little or plateau for a week or two as it gets adjusted to the new calorie level, but then you should start losing again. If you wear a HRM I would eat back my exercise calories, if you don't, try eating back half of them because machines and MFP guesses can be overestimating your burn.

Eating more is ALWAYS a good thing. use this source to find your BMR http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

...you should at least NET your BMR everyday (so you can manually set that as your calorie goal if you want-->this is what I do).
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    The activity levels have to do with what you do all day long, not how often you work out. If you're on your feet all day, then you need to eat more calories than someone sitting at a desk. Make sure you have the right setting for what you do and eat your exercise calories.
  • MrsNwokolo
    MrsNwokolo Posts: 5
    Options
    When you exercise more it will increase your calories but if you want to lose weight, don't eat those calories. I sometimes eat a little over but not too often. Don't get frustrated just stay on task and change up you exercise routine. Sometimes our bodies get used to doing the same thing and it will not longer respond. Good luck to you!!!!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I think the activity level relates to the majority of your time, so if you are desk bound or inactive for a lot of the day then lightly active may be wrong for you. Pick which level is closest to your lifestyle and add in exercise sessions under the exercise tab and then you'll just be getting extra calories on the days you are actually burning them. Works for me!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    When you exercise more it will increase your calories but if you want to lose weight, don't eat those calories. I sometimes eat a little over but not too often.

This isn't in keeping with how this site works. Your deficit is already worked into the calorie level you are allocated so by not eating back calories burnt by exercise you are increasing that deficit and could be damaging your metabolism/weakening yourself unnecessarily in the process. You are more likely to keep up exercising if you feel well and healthy rather then tired and weak. Eat most of them back!
  • Shannontrain
    Options
    This same thing has happened to me. I have lost about 8 pounds. A friend of mine asked if I was drinking enough water. I was not drinking enough on days I was working out. When you are dyhydrated your metobilsm goes down. Also, switching your cardio workout also helps. I was going to the gym and doing the ellipitical machine and stationary bike only. I have added use of the row machine and treadmill. Also, on days I am not at the gym I am trying to walk either at lunch or breaks. It has helped me get in better shape. It keeps me focused so I don't give up! Since, I have made these changes this week I have already lost my 1.5 pounds for the week.
  • ines25
    ines25 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    u should do 40min cardio and zigzag ur calories and u will be fine
    mon 1200
    tues 1400
    wed 1200
    thur 1350
    fri 1500

thats what i do and change my exercise every 6weeks and remember that everytime u start a new program u will gain 3-4lb the first 2 weeks but it will go away workout videos are great way to spice up ur workout
  • jwuchef87
    jwuchef87 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I guess i'm just really excited to be starting this journey to having a healthy lifestyle and any set back freaks me out because i don't want to to stall or go back now that i've put so much effort and sweat into making me over. :wink: