I can't eat this much food...

Options
Ok, I have tried counting calories so many different times and this is the same thing that makes me quit! My suggested caloric intake per day is 1840. I cannot possible eat this much food. I still have 574 calories left to eat, and I have already added in my dinner!!!

What do I do?

Replies

• ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have tried counting calories so many different times and this is the same thing that makes me quit! My suggested caloric intake per day is 1840. I cannot possible eat this much food. I still have 574 calories left to eat, and I have already added in my dinner!!!

What do I do?
    how many pounds are you wanting to lose in 1 week ?? if i do 1/2 pound or 1 pound a week i have about the same amount of calories you have now ... so i changed it to 2 pounds a week and I am at 1340 (much better ) lol .... good luck on this i know it can be frusterating but hang in there
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter :happy:
  • misty879
    Options

how many pounds are you wanting to lose in 1 week ?? if i do 1/2 pound or 1 pound a week i have about the same amount of calories you have now ... so i changed it to 2 pounds a week and I am at 1340 (much better ) lol .... good luck on this i know it can be frusterating but hang in there

I have it set for 1 lb per week. maybe I'll change it to 2
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

I have it set for 1 lb per week. maybe I'll change it to 2

I see from your profile that you are trying to lose 60 pounds, that is about what my goal started as and I believe my calorie intake was around 1500 to start. Are you very tall (I'm short, the bigger frame you are, the more fuel you need). Do you have a very active lifestyle?

I wouldn't recommend trying to lose 2 pounds per week, that's really only recommended for people who have a lot (like over 100 pounds) of weight to lose. Setting the goal too high can result in an unrealistic goal that you cannot stick to, and losing weight too fast can be unhealthy.

If all of your info is right on your settings, then you should try to eat the amount of calories MFP recommends. Peanut butter and nuts are an excellent healthy choice for packing on calories when you aren't very hungry. Even just a glass of skim milk and healthy cereal could give you around 300 calories, so just keep looking and find those foods that add calories to your total without adding too much volume or being unhealthy.
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Changing it to 2 pounds a week should help.
  • kroger7
    kroger7 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    No matter how long I am on this site, I simply cannot understand how people have this problem :grumble: Then there's me, barely able to keep within my 1200/day without starving!! just have a granola bar, some fruit, and a piece of cheese. there, easy lol I have no problem finding calories!! :laugh:
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    You could try adding olive oil to saute veggies or over fish. Banana, protein bar, protein shake. Just try things one at a time. =)
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    No matter how long I am on this site, I simply cannot understand how people have this problem :grumble: Then there's me, barely able to keep within my 1200/day without starving!! just have a granola bar, some fruit, and a piece of cheese. there, easy lol I have no problem finding calories!! :laugh:

I know, same here! :laugh:

And yes, the answer is peanut butter. :laugh:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    No matter how long I am on this site, I simply cannot understand how people have this problem Then there's me, barely able to keep within my 1200/day without starving!! just have a granola bar, some fruit, and a piece of cheese. there, easy lol I have no problem finding calories!!
    I totally agree. I'm eating more food than I was previously, just better food.

It also helps to split up your daily intake into 5-6 meals and eat every 2-3 hours.

1800 calories, you can aim for 6 meals at approx 300 calories.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Nuts are great. I can eat 1800 calories in nuts alone. I can down a can of cashews in one sitting. I mix 1/4 to 1/3 a cup of nuts in some yogurt and that will give you a 4-500 calorie snack.

Potatoes with butter with your dinner
    sweet potato with brown sugar and butter
  • lilangel7671
    lilangel7671 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am trying to maintain my weight now. I have my setting at "lost 1/2lb a week" which gives me 1460 net cals. Should I change it then? If I do MFP gives me 1700 net cals...that seems like alot! Does that sound right??? I am 21 yrs, 115 lbs female. I am pretty active, workout 6 days a week religiously, one rest day. Usually burn somewhere between 200-700 cals depending on the day (usually over 600 on weekends). Please give me some reassurance..:ohwell:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I am trying to maintain my weight now. I have my setting at "lost 1/2lb a week" which gives me 1460 net cals. Should I change it then? If I do MFP gives me 1700 net cals...that seems like alot! Does that sound right??? I am 21 yrs, 115 lbs female. I am pretty active, workout 6 days a week religiously, one rest day. Usually burn somewhere between 200-700 cals depending on the day (usually over 600 on weekends). Please give me some reassurance..ohwell

Yes you should be able to maintain your weight at 1700 calories plus the additional 200-700 cals you burn. You may want to shoot for an average like 2200 daily and see how it works for you over a period of time.
  • cheshirekat
    cheshirekat Posts: 126 Member
    Options

I know, same here! :laugh:

And yes, the answer is peanut butter. :laugh:

haha I feel the same way! And lately since I don't have a job all I can think about is chocolate and sweets and how much I would love a peanut butter cup donut from dunkin donuts haha. Free time = diet death! But I have done well, I had all my 1330 eaten by 4 today, but I ran 7 miles so i got an extra 700, and I plan on eating every single last one haha.

I would say to make delicious homemade meals with healthy ingredients, some that are calorie and nutrient dense. Like a really yummy toasted sandwich on whole wheat bun with like.. pepper jack or mozzerella cheese, avocado, green and red sauteed peppers and onions, garlic, a tablespoon or two of yummy hummus like roasted red pepper flavor, some spinach with a bit of lemon to absorb the iron, mushrooms and tomatos mmm this is making me hungry, but you get the idea, Thats like a 500-550 calorie sandwich right there.

I also agree, peanut butter and almonds! Throw some chopped walnuts and feta cheese and dried sugar free cranberries in your salad. Eat more for breakfast as you will most likely burn these calories off than eating a bigger meal at night, like a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter and banana slices. Ooh and a good snack granny smith apple slices with organic peanut butter or you can get this lowfat carmel dipping sauce thats really good, just make sure to portion it out.

Ooh and skim milk with some ovaltine is really good! Eat it after a strength workout to repair muscles with all that good protein. And you can even throw in two tablespoons of hemp protein powder, only 110 calories, not the yummiest of stuff on its own but not too noticeable in chocolate milk plus it packs in like 15 grams of protein and other good stuff.

To lilangel7671, I would say 1700 sounds about right to maintain. On the days you burn a ton of calories, you can try a protein shake after your workout, with berries and protein powder yogurt ice other fruit, veggies if you want, to replenish your muscles and an extra kick of antioxidants.
    To be sure you can determine how many calories you burn with an online calculator, one that factors in your height weight and activity level when you are NOT working out.. like if you are sitting most of the day aside from that, which you probably aren't, it would be sedentary. Anyway the calculator will tell you how many calories you burn if you werent' working out at all just going about your daily activities, and then if you exercise you should eat those calories too if you don't want to lose anymore weight.
  • lilangel7671
    lilangel7671 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, So maybe I should change my MFP setting to maintain but change my activity level to sedentary? That way, when I don't work out I stay at my net cals and when I do I get to eat my exercise cals. Am I understanding this correctly? Man, I'm so paranoid..I feel I've been battling trying to figure out where I should be as far as calories now...ugh..
  • cheshirekat
    cheshirekat Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, So maybe I should change my MFP setting to maintain but change my activity level to sedentary? That way, when I don't work out I stay at my net cals and when I do I get to eat my exercise cals. Am I understanding this correctly? Man, I'm so paranoid..I feel I've been battling trying to figure out where I should be as far as calories now...ugh..

Well only change your activity to level if you actually are sedentary. Like on a normal day, do you sit a majority of the day, be it driving from place to place, sitting in class or at the computer, or at a desk reading ? That would classify as sedentary, if all of your activity comes from your workouts. Or maybe you might sit part of the day but also stand and walk around quite a bit like if you work in retail or walk to class, that would probably be light. Or if you are standing a lot plus walking or riding bike or something frequently throughout the day, MFP gives the example of a waitress, you might choose "active". When I was doing trailwork as my job, I would have put "very active" because it was very hard physical labor for most of the day. Hope this helps!!