Question for any dieticians, trainers, or experts out there

I have been carefully tracking and exercising for 3 weeks. Started at 5'5" and 147 lbs with a goal of 134 lbs in 9 weeks; I am medium build. Have been sticking to 1300 cal daily with a cheat day Saturday of 1800-2000. Exercising 5+ days a week (running, boot cam, aerobics, lifting, zumba, and random cardio) so burning at least 2500 weekly. Weight came off in first 2 weeks, kinda stalling this week. And, I have started training for a half marathon as of this week, so will be running more and doing other things less over the next 2 months.

About a week into this journey, I switched to this app because I like that it gives you a daily intake breakdown. Here's the main question, I am way over on protein every day (suggested 50-70, my intake, closer to 100). Does this matter? Is this stalling my weight loss? If I cut down, might it slim out my legs which seem to be getting bigger? The protein is definitely helping me stay full which was tough in the beginning as I was eating 2000 plus a day before starting this. However, at this point I'm pretty well adjusted and wondering if I need to start switching out some meat for veggies?

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I'm not claiming to be an expert, but unless your case is extreme (like all protein and no carbs) or you have kidney disease, you should not lower protein in favor of fruits/veg. If your diary was open I would be able to give you better commentary. But you should be eating fruits/veg, and they should come out of your carbohydrate budget. The default protein setting is low on MFP, it correlates to the minimum protein necessary to not be protein deficient. For most people, higher protein helps them feel better and maintain muscle mass during weight loss, so you're already on the right track. Try resetting your macro percentages to 40% protein, 30% carb 30% fat, you probably won't be so far over anymore. 40-30-30 seems to be a pretty good macro division for most people, though of course, everyone is different.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    100 grams of protein is a good amount. MFP typically under budgets for protein anyway.

Weight loss is not constant. You are going to have up and down weeks. A good idea is to take measurements and pictures as well so you can watch your progress in other ways.
  • aav903
    aav903 Posts: 11
    Thanks for letting me know that they set the protein limit a little low. I didn't even think about my diary being visible, so I just made it public. Will look into changing settings to 40-30-30.
    I know that there will inevitably be some up weeks. It's good to know that everyone has 'em.
    Really appreciate the feedback!