talk to me about hypertrophy

Options
I've read a few things on here and around the webs about hypertrophy (in particular in regards to using machines after free weights), but I believe I'm misunderstanding the meaning. Basically what I've read is that hypertrophy is basically making the muscles bigger and that there's 2 types: the 1 rep max type (olympic lifters), and the 8 rep (competition). but I'm still a little lost about exactly what it is (is it the appearance of more muscle caused not by just by growth but any swelling including water retention, or is it the ability to lift greater weight?), and what following up with machines afterward has to do with it.

Pretend you're writing a section of the book "weight lifting for dummies"

Thanks!

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    From how I understood it, it's just an increase in muscle size. It's what you lift for when "bulking". I've also read that you want to do "high volume" of lifts to achieve it. So 2-3 exercises that target the same muscle group (which is where machines might come in). So things like bench, followed by incline bench, followed by decline bench, or chest flies, regular bicep curls followed by preacher curls. You want your muscles to feel swollen (pumped up) after your lifting which is of course temporary but helps lead to muscle growth. You also should eat at a surplus.

Basically it's not the same as lifting to gain strength, but lifting to gain size. Of course size and strength often go hand and hand but if you want one over the other you approach it differently. When I was lifting for size I could only squat 95lbs even though I was eating at a surplus. Now that I'm lifting for strength I can squat 130 and I'm eating at maintenance.
  • 84jeepster
    84jeepster Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    This is a link to the PHAT program that I will be starting next week. It discusses both power and hypertrophy approaches.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TheDeviation
    TheDeviation Posts: 149
    Options
    This is a link to the PHAT program that I will be starting next week. It discusses both power and hypertrophy approaches.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html
    ^ One of the greats right there. If anyone uses JEFIT to track their lifting, I created a routine a while back for PHAT: http://jefit.com/routines/workout-routine-database.php?id=5068

To keep it simple, hypertrophy training focuses on growing the muscles. Typically more sets/higher reps ranges. Power/strength focuses on overall strength. Typically low reps/high weight.

The old adage "big & strong" isn't correct. You can be strong without being big. And vice-versa.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    There are two types of hypertrophy. Myofibrillar hypertrophy, which is gains in density, but not necessarily in size. Then there's sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, which is size gain due to sarcoplasmic fluid "swelling" the muscle fibers.

Myofibrillar is what happens when you use low reps and heavy weights, your muscles get very dense and heavy, but don't increase much in size. (5 reps or less)

Sarcoplasmic is the "bodybuilder's dream," and happens with lighter weights for more reps. It causes tissue to swell, leading to large size increases without much strength increase. (12 reps or more)

8-10 reps per set tends to be the best balance between the two types, leading to strength and size gains.

I have no idea what machines have to do with anything, because it's really about the reps and weight, has nothing much to do with machines or bars. Better results come from bars.
  • jammasterduggs
    Options
    bump
  • TheDeviation
    TheDeviation Posts: 149
    Options
    Better results come from bars.
    Agreed.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I've read a few things on here and around the webs about hypertrophy (in particular in regards to using machines after free weights), but I believe I'm misunderstanding the meaning. Basically what I've read is that hypertrophy is basically making the muscles bigger and that there's 2 types: the 1 rep max type (olympic lifters), and the 8 rep (competition). but I'm still a little lost about exactly what it is (is it the appearance of more muscle caused not by just by growth but any swelling including water retention, or is it the ability to lift greater weight?), and what following up with machines afterward has to do with it.

Pretend you're writing a section of the book "weight lifting for dummies"

Thanks!

Hypertrophy is a reference to muscle mass increase, basically an increase in muscle size. 1 rep max Olympic and 8- rep competition? The only atheletes that compete at higher reps are cross-fitters. Powerlifters and Olympic lifters go for a 1-rep max. Bodybuilders just pose.

Muscle hypertrophy and muscle strength often get confused. Hypertrophy is simply that, size growth. Muscle strength improvement involves being able to move heavier loads. Hypertrophy and strength don't always go hand-in-hand either. Here's an example of a hypothetical lifter,

a. Muscle hypertrophy: In August 2011 my upper arm size was 16-inches and in August 2012 my upper arm size was 18-inches. This lifter's arms grew 2-inches, hypertrophy.
    b. Muscle strength: In August 2011 I could deadlift 200lbs for a 1-rep max and in August 2012 I could deadlift 300lbs for a 1-rep max. This lifter's muscles involved in the deadlift got strong enough to lift 100 more lbs in a year, muscle strength.

Having real improvements in hypertrophy typically involves a different diet strategy in that you're typically eating excessive calories, because it's difficult to gain significant hypertrophy / mass gains on a calorie deficit.

Equipment wise... I'm always going to be a big fan of free weights, hands down. But that's not to say it's the only way to train. If you're going to use machines I would find something that best mimics a free weight exercise, something like a Hammer Strength machine. On days when I do max weight effort bench pressing I'll also do max effort reps on a Hammer Strength machine.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Oh, please don't get me wrong, I don't use machines and haven't for years. I'm a free weight kind of girl all the way. My first thought was "hum, what is hypertrophy" . . . *off to google. Wait, this seems just slightly convoluted, maybe I should ask the brilliant people on mfp. While I'm at it, I remember people talking about the only time they use machines is after freeweights and something random about hypertrophy, so I'll go ahead and throw that one in there too . . .
  • 84jeepster
    84jeepster Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    The link I posted above describes hypertrophy pretty clearly. I just started PHAT this week and I love it!