Is 30DS too hard for fattys?

Options

Replies

• Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    If you try to follow the higher level lady (who cheats half the time) then yes it will probably be too hard. Heck even if you try to follow the other one it might be too hard (their names are Anita and Natalie, but I don't remember which one goes with which name since I turned off the sound after hearing the level once), but you should be able to modify the exercises so you can do them. I started it when I was 220lbs (I'm 5'5") and the first day I was convinced Jillian was trying to kill me. At the end of 30 days I still didn't like her, but was amazed that I could keep up with it.
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    All these answers are right on. So much so I want to do mine again next week! She says to take 5 sec breaks and I do.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    30DS is one of the single easiest workout DVDs I have ever seen or attempted. It's a 30 minute very basic workout that involves following this rotation: 3 minutes of VERY BASIC cardio moves (like jumping jacks and other stuff they probably had you do in PE in elementary school) followed by 2 minutes of strength training using VERY light weights (like 3 lb dumbbells to start) followed by 1 minute of floor ab work followed by a short rest. You go through that three times. If anything I would say it's a great START to getting into shape, but you'll get bored with it quickly and move on. My only real negative criticism of the program is that it's more about showing you VISUAL changes rather than functional. After completing 30 days of it I lost some bodyfat, yes, but I wasn't any stronger or really anymore "fit."
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    oh i forgot to say i done level 1 all the way through, i thought it pushed me enough and i also started to take a protein shake which helped with the ache after and used water bottles for the weights :flowerforyou:
  • jdsmom0104
    jdsmom0104 Posts: 236
    Options
    tough, not impossible... i work out daily & its still a challenge. wouldnt say im chunky, but by no means skinny! :wink:
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I weigh much more than you and I'm doing the 30DS and Ripped in 30.. you can do it!
  • thetorontokid2
    Options
    It's only too hard if you refuse to try. Do what you can. Ease your way into it. Do the easier moves, do less reps, take a breather when you feel you need to. You'll get there in your own time. Forget about the "30 Day" part of it and go at your own pace. Something is better than nothing.

This! I wondered the same thing about myself when I started it and you'll be surprised how better you feel once you've done it. I noticed a change in my endurance within just a few days!
  • jnbud2002
    jnbud2002 Posts: 216
    Options
    NaH! Even Jillian says she has 400 lb people doing the jacks! You can def do it and like someone else said, don't worry about the "30" day part, it took my hubs and I 60 days because we took breaks with life events coming up and whatnot, BUT we finished it! And there's a chick on there that you can follow if you aren't able to do the "real" way. As long as you are trying, you'll feel it! Do the best you can! YOU CAN DO IT! heehee
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Give it a try. You already own it - and you've probably spent more than the 25 minutes it takes to DO it, just wondering if you CAN do it. I was in a car accident 21 years ago that left both of my ankles shattered, and they've been pieced back together with plates and such, so the jumping jacks are sometimes too much for me to handle, but otherwise, I've been doing it successfully the past 2 days. I'm drenched and sweating like someone turned the hose on me immediately after, but the segments are short and the workout is over in less than half an hour. I just lace up my tennies and jump on a yoga mat to lessen the impact - when it gets too hard, I march in place until I can try again.

DOOOO EEET!!!! (at least give it a try, yeah?) :D

(btw, I just started it yesterday, so have done Level 1 a total of twice thus far - if you want to add me as friends, we can encourage each other!)
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I'm 175# 5'5" I'm doing L1D8 today.
    Yes it's hard, but listen to your body...if you can't do the modified moves, make them MORE modified.
    My upper body is really weak. My push ups are done with my hands on a coffee table, if that's to hard, use the wall.
    I started with 3 pound weights (maybe you need 1 or 2 lbs), now I'm using 5 pounds for all the moves (hmmm, guess I could go higher for some of the moves).
    Can't do jumping jacks, but can run in place.
    Crunches, do what you can but push yourself, aim for a few more with each work out.
    Squats and lunges use a WIDE base, feet wide apart, slightly angled out (yes you will be sore for a few days. keep moving it's water going into the muscle cells to aid in repair and growth).
    Take the 5 second break when you REALLY need to.

Yes, you can do this!
  • MamaEdmund
    MamaEdmund Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It's hard at first for sure.....I spent the first several days watching the time on the DVD, telling myself it's only 20 minutes.....it's been five minutes I can do another minute......The other great part is you switch exercises frequently, so you know you only have to do 1-2 minutes of each exercise.......I tell myself just get through this exercise, something else is coming soon. And yes, don't think this is a 30-day-straight thing. I tried to get a bit in every day the first week, so that I did I think basically the whole thing the first day, then the second day I could only get through half-ish, then the third or fourth day I could get through the whole thing again. Some people also mentioned before to me that they found her annoying, so if you want you can always mute her and put on your favourite exercise music instead once you know the exercises.

Good luck! You'll get there....but only if you try. :)
  • Lay821
    Lay821 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love JM 30DS . at 1st it may seem that way but just push through it. If you feel that you have a little too much giggle for some of the moves buy yourself something like a wrestling singlet. Just keep everything tight and in place .:smile:

BTW Is it me or does any 1 else feel that level 1 is more intense than 2/3??
    I swear Im more sore after level 1 than the other 2 levels
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I started 30DS when I weighed 234 lbs and hadn't worked out in 6 years (not an exaggeration). The first day, I was only able to get through half and almost threw up. I kept at it. Now I'm almost 60 lbs lighter and can do the whole thing without any modifications. I lost pretty much all the weight doing Jillian workouts and running.
  • sissy0107
    sissy0107 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I started 30DS today, and felt like I was gonna die : I'm 200 lbs, not fit at all, stopped any sport a while back. But I loved every minute of torture it brought me. Definitely try it !
  • bunnzye2
    bunnzye2 Posts: 56
    Options
    I'm 62 and a chubbo. I do it at my own pace. I tell myself if I am not doing it as it is shown, that I'm really not doing it, but I found out thats not true, cause as long as I try to do what they are doing, I sweat more than I do if I just ride my gazelle or elliptical. Like you, I walk, etc. but when I do that 30 day, it really makes a difference. As for the jumping jacks, I dont do those. It was wrong for Jillian to say something about 400 pound people doing jumping jacks that everyone can do them. I weigh 193 and I cant because of my knees and ankles. So I flap my arms and move around in my own jumping jack. dont hurt yourself, you arent trying to prove anything to anyone. have fun!!
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm totally a PH-atty! :wink: I absolutely am going to buy the 30DS and pray for a miracle. I know Jillian is tough. I have her Strength Max and i'm scared to watch it....let a lone do it.. But reading all these positive messages I just feel the need for speed!! It wouldn't be the first time Jillian made me cry! :sad: :bigsmile: You all are awesome!!!
  • countrygirlatheart0717
    countrygirlatheart0717 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It's only too hard if you refuse to try. Do what you can. Ease your way into it. Do the easier moves, do less reps, take a breather when you feel you need to. You'll get there in your own time. Forget about the "30 Day" part of it and go at your own pace. Something is better than nothing.

Totally agree!
  • Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone!
    I want try it today, but i dont have weights. Should i wait until i can get weights to do it? or willit work without?

You guys have given me a great deal of confidence:flowerforyou:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    You can't do it without weights. Fortunately the only weights you need are smaller 3-5 lb dumbbells, like what's normally used on aerobics classes.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone!
    I want try it today, but i dont have weights. Should i wait until i can get weights to do it? or willit work without?

You guys have given me a great deal of confidence:flowerforyou:

I say go ahead and do it without the weights until you can get some (get some ASAP though). It's still a pretty intense workout and you can get the moves down first.