Who knows about core stuff?

Options
So I've lost nearly 50 pounds thanks to MFP and the support of my wife, and now I think I'm almost ready to do more than just cardio.

I used to wrestle in high school so I know my way around the weight room, but now I see people say those weights/machines aren't important and I need to do core workouts...

Due respect, I don't see my still fat self doing Pilates like my dancer sister, but are there some exercises for core a 294 pound man can do?

Replies

• johnstegeman
    johnstegeman Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Self bump....anyone?
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Planks, leglifts.

check out the Insanity abs c-sit position
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hopefully someone will come along to give you some more ideas. Meanwhile you could check out some of the links on the following website:

http://www.livestrong.com/core-workouts/

Congratulations on the weightloss. :smile:
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Planks, leglifts.

check out the Insanity abs c-sit position

this.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    So I've lost nearly 50 pounds thanks to MFP and the support of my wife, and now I think I'm almost ready to do more than just cardio.

I used to wrestle in high school so I know my way around the weight room, but now I see people say those weights/machines aren't important and I need to do core workouts...

Due respect, I don't see my still fat self doing Pilates like my dancer sister, but are there some exercises for core a 294 pound man can do?

IMHO - Core workout - Squats/deadlifts. Both will work your core.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    At your size, there's no need to worry about specific areas of your body. Just focus on dropping the weight.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options

IMHO - Core workout - Squats/deadlifts. Both will work your core.

+1
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Multi joint movements, squats, deadlifts, lunges, planks, crunches, pushups all work the core. There is a good section in New Rules For Lifting for Life on core work.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

There is no need at all to do ab work. If you focus on compound lifts (Squats, deadlifts, benchpress, overhead press, etc) your core will get plenty of work, so no need to do ab isolation exercises if you are following a food strength training routine.
  • PAydt
    PAydt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. Google CALISTHENICS or start with push-ups (normal, military, wide), crunches, back raises, lunges and squats. Start with doing 10 of each of these. This exercise mix can be 15 to 30 minutes long. Also you could invest in P90X and do what you can! Remember to warm up first with stretches of the hamstring, quads, rotator cuff (arm circles small and large), neck, side stretch & shoulder. March in place and imaginary jump rope for 2 minutes before stretching with arm balistic stretches for 30 seconds. "WHATEVER IT TAKES!"
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Bump, for later
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Hula hooping ... it is a great core workout as well as great cardio. Get a fitness hoop, 2 to 4 pounds, 42 inches in diameter to start. There are plenty of tutorials online for how to hoop. You can also google to see articles on people (including men) who have lost weight hooping. It is low impact and great for people with back problems.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Supermans, back extensions, for lower abs get a medicine ball between your legs and with your hands beneath your butt, lift your legs and the ball. I recommend 30reps of each. Also dumbbell side bends for obliques
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

There is no need at all to do ab work. If you focus on compound lifts (Squats, deadlifts, benchpress, overhead press, etc) your core will get plenty of work, so no need to do ab isolation exercises if you are following a food strength training routine.

It depends on your goals. If high level calisthenics or gymnastics (or simply doing cool physical tricks), or many martial arts, are in your long term goals, the core must be a primary focus. If your goals are in the weight room or simply aesthetic, core work isn't necessary on its own.

Squatting and deadlifting won't give you the core to hold a human flag or a front lever, nor give you the back strength to do a stand to stand bridge.

In the absence of external load, strength is derived from the core, it is much more important than being merely a load stabilizer.