Distractions at work, advice on handling?

Options
StrengthIDidntKnow
StrengthIDidntKnow Posts: 568 Member
This will seem trivial to most but I wanted to see how others handled minor distractions at work, and see if I can put the advice to work. I am easily distracted by noise and it is getting harder and harder to concentrate.

I sit in an open area, and there are a few offices around me. There are usually at least 3 radios playing, sometimes 4. All different stations of course. I have one co-worker who chews gum all day and pops really loud bubbles.

Any ideas?

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You could probably discuss the issues with the offending parties. Or you could wear headphones. Or unfortunately the only thing left is to ignore.
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    what if you wore headphone to listen to something you like and drown out everyone elses sounds?
    i wish i could do that, but i have to answer the phone too, so that's out.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    MFP ALL DAY!!
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    StrengthIDidntKnow Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    You could probably discuss the issues with the offending parties. Or you could wear headphones. Or unfortunately the only thing left is to ignore.

I wish I could say this helps. It improves for a bit but slowly goes back.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Step 1 - purchase your own headphones.
    Step 2 - speak to HR to see if it can be made policy that everyone listening to music must wear headphones
    Step 3 - Hide gum-girl's gum :-)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I have an international Conference call every Thursday morning. The idiots around me always seem to find that time to be overly loud in their conversations. Don't seem to care, or realize, I am on the phone. I just made a sign a couple weeks ago and held it up in the air. It said "Shut the *kitten* Up. I'm on a conference call."

Worked. Wasn't very well received, but I wanted quiet, not popularity.
  • persian_star
    persian_star Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have a very similar problem, except for me it's that people are having conversations (work and non-work) all around me all day. I have headphones for when I can cope with music, and earplugs for when I need silence! It mostly works :os